Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, we know the BIG storyline is the telling of the Horus Heresy. While I've not read it (yet), I'm sure it's a great read (as a whole). But lately, I've got to thinking:

What's next? What is the next big read that folks will clamor to? As was explained to me not long after I started getting interested in the 40k mythos, was that (essentially) everything in the 40k universe is 99% in the past and we're living in the last 1%. (i.e. all the really good stuff happened in the past)

While it's debatable whether or not GW will ever move the 40k "story" forward at all (beyond baby steps they seem to do), what can they hope to offer folks who've been around for the last 10-15 years to stick around another 10-15 years? (story-wise at least, let alone via the game).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh there are plenty of things to write about. Maybe the Age of Apostasy. That would do for an interesting horus-heresy style series of books.

The Scouring would be a natural 'next' after the horus heresy series, if the Black Library were to continue in such a manner.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh there are plenty of things to write about. Maybe the Age of Apostasy. That would do for an interesting horus-heresy style series of books.

The Scouring would be a natural 'next' after the horus heresy series, if the Black Library were to continue in such a manner.

I agree that there's plenty of things they could pull stories from, but would they even begin to come close to what is presented in the HH? There's plenty of smaller stories that can be told forever, for sure, I won't argue that one bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Something from the War in Heaven would be nice.

Such a dream... But it will never come to pass. :cray:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It will definately cater to the veterans, just as the Horus Heresy does.

GW are not very innovative and their best ideas usually comes from the much earlier days of 40k.

Without William King's short story "The Siege of Terra", we wouldn't have anything resembling the Horus Heresy today.

But that old story is still one of the best pieces of fluff in 40k, and the question is wether GW have another cash-cow of that magnitude they can expand upon (I like the idea with The Scouring or The Age of Apostasy - bet on it that it will be set in the past!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It would be intresting to see a some books on the fall of the eldar and the birth of slaanesh, i also second the age of apostasy and the scouring, and the war in heavin would be even more intresting. Their some areas of the fluff that sure could use fleshing out that would add so much more to the game. Start a series on the SM chapters that actually fleshes out some of these chapter they put in the codeices as just color schemes and give them some fluff.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I doubt this would happen because the author's mind would be blown but I want them to write stuff about the Emperor going into battle with his Custodes and Primarchs.

Maybe even the Unification Wars?

It seems like there is a lot of talk about what goes on in the warp but we never really see it hands on. I wish they would write books that were specifically about daemons in the warp and stuff like that (fluff like that)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I doubt this would happen because the author's mind would be blown but I want them to write stuff about the Emperor going into battle with his Custodes and Primarchs.

Maybe even the Unification Wars?

It seems like there is a lot of talk about what goes on in the warp but we never really see it hands on. I wish they would write books that were specifically about daemons in the warp and stuff like that (fluff like that)
I wish they would write some stuff form the POV of the daemons that would be so cool. I always have a hard time just imagning what the warp looks llike whenthey are not floating in spce but on planets.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Honestly, we'd have to see what happens when they finish the Horus Heresy. Considering the story for the HH has changed with the publishing of the current books, who knows how they may end it.

We know the overall story, and the overall ending, but the devil is in the details.

What if they change the final battle to Sang turning against the Emperor and attacking him with Horus, which resulted in the Emperor being beaten like he was. Or even better, that Sang kills Horus and becomes the Champion of Chaos and that cause the Blood Angels to have the Red Thirst and Black Rage.

Maybe they do something with the Lion to set up his return, this is my personal favorite idea as they are giving quite a few books to the Dark Angels when they had very little to do with the Heresy.

If they keep the close of the HH to what we already know, they may move into the Age of Apostasy. This time period helped mold the Imperium into what it currently is.

If they alter the ending in a meaningful way then we could actually see an advance of the plot.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The whole of the Gothic War, or an even earlier Black Crusade. BL/GW don't need to go into M42; with 10-12000 years of Imperial History basically unexplored, going beyond the 40k 'present' would be something to do just for the sake of doing. Besides, any ideas and themes such a progression might bring up could always be fitted to an earlyer event. The Astronomicon failing? Write up the events of a world on the fringes of the galaxy where the Emperor's light has disappeared. The Emperor dying? Just show us a system, set at almost any point after The Scouring, were such a belief has come to the fore, and the Imperial leadership is struggling to keep order and the leaders are struggling with just what the hell it means for the God-Emperor to be dead.
The past hides many treasures; and even more terrors!

GFP

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I just feel its time to do something that doesn't involve the imperium. We know just about all there is to know about the imperium. Tell the story of when the necrons becaame the necrons, like i said before do the fall of the eldar or even explore further into chaos. Tell a story based within the great game on daemons. I just feel there that maybe its time another race took on the limelight instead of marines.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I strongly agree with TheSpore, and others regarding the need for some more xenos/not-imperium stuff. Not that the stories are bad, quite the opposite in regards to HH, but damn, i would not mind something to do with the necrontyr or fall of the eldar, just for something refreshing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would like to see something on that 'Reign Of Blood' that involved that Vanidvare guy (or whatever his name is). And some books about the xeno's races wouldn't go amiss either.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Another thing i wanted to point out is Im so tired of marines vs orks it seems like there are too many of these plot lines

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
There's still so much past to explore, too many stories to be told to ever need to go beyond 40k as a setting.
Just since the HH there is 10,000 years worth of history to cover. 10,000 years!
Think of everything that's gone on in human history on earth in the last 2000 years, how many books could and have been written, forgotten, re written, re imagined etc.
The fall of Rome, the dark ages, the renaissance, the number of civil wars fought all across the world.
The rise and fall of the Vikings, the Saxons, the Normans, the Crusades, the industrial revolution, the rise of communism and facism and democracy.
That's just scratching the surface of 2k yeras of the history of one world, now times the time scale by five and the number of worlds by millions, add in the history and influence of other races and cultures and the proof that Gods in 40K do exist.

Honestly, why would you need to progress beyond 40K?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I just wanna see some fresh work not so much moving forward in time just say what was goin on with the tau while the HH was happening or say tell me the story of the legon of the damned through there eyes. I dont think ive ever seen anything written about them besides the basic fluff from the codices

1 - 20 of 24 Posts