Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to stear away from some of the negativity about various codices, post which your currently most used codex is and say what is good about it that you really like.

This thread's not for slating any codices :).

Space Marines - Legion of the Damned - one of my long time favourites in the 40k universe to be honest and they're rules in the newest edition are great in my opnion.

So enough ranting, and start thinking positive :grin:!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Space Wolves- TWM Lords with FB, SS, SotWB, and Runic armor for good measure.

Turns your 50 man mosh pit into a gore soaked pool of human slop.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
assuming you reach me :p what first rank fire, second rank fire and youve got around 140 shots headed your way if you get close :p

turnes your tmw into the next rspca advert :p

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
assuming you reach me :p what first rank fire, second rank fire and youve got around 140 shots headed your way if you get close :p

turnes your tmw into the next rspca advert :p
Assuming they all hit then you have to wound then I get my 2+ and he runs with 5 other mounted duded that have a 24" charge range. lol

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Space Marines, you'll never go without an update for more than 3 or 4 years, always fresh and some (not all) chapters have AMAZING fluff, some of the best in the game IMHO.

Midnight

EDIT: Oh and lovely plastics, great for Kit-Bashing/Converting

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chaos marines:

Powerful point effective HQ with deadly powerups
Daemon prince

Disgustingly evil spells
Gift of chaos: turn anything into a blob if you roll higher then their toughness, or a 6

wind of chaos: template that wounds on a 4+ no cover or armor saves allowed, ALSO glances any vehicle on a 4+ (penitrating at 5!)

Lash of submission: anything thats not hiding in a vehicle is prone to getting dragged 2d6 in any direction (denies cover, easier charge, move dangerous stuff away, etc) and said moved unit has to take a pinning test (watch that squad of boyz that were gonna charge you get forced to go to ground LOL)
The lash is by far the most evil of spells and many friends/gamers will hate you for brining it, two is just plain mean (but that doesn't mean they are allowed to be mean either)

Chaos marine troops:
The chaos marines come with VERY powerful troop choices that can do many things, basic marines are like normal marines, but higher leadership and have a pistol, bolter, and cc weapon

berzerkers are angry marines. they have higher WS so they are hitting most stuff on 3's and anything else on 4's, also with higher strength and initiative on a charge, most stuff dies before they get a chance to hit back.
but costing 6 pts more then a normal marine, they are expensive losses when they die

thousand suns are REALLY hard to kill marines (4+invuln) and they own a bolter that is ap3, these guys are powerful antimarines but their squad is FORCED to bring a aspiring sorcerer and he MUST take a spell
these guys are the most expensive to bring of the squads, but they are deliciously strong

plaguemarines, not as hard to kill as thousand sons (no invuln, only FNP) and their advantage comes from being able to take two special weapons at under 10 guys, great objective holders and good plasmacarriers (even if they fail their gets hot, they get a FNP after that!)

noise marines:
able to take sonic guns at costing 25pts per marine. (20+5) the sonic gun becomes assault 2, or heavy3 bolters. these guys can pump out a high volume of shots and if one wants, they can pay another 40pts for a larger version of the gun that can can pump out 2 pinning shots, or 1 stronger blast template that pins as well.
another bonus to these marines is that their aspiring champion can bring a doom siren.
the doom siren is a powerful assault 1 heavy flamer that hits at ap3.
noise marines are the guys to take if you want to sit on a middle objective laydown a hailstorm of shots and disintegrating those foolish enough to come into range of the siren.
also. noise marines come equipped with the same wargear as a normal marine. thus they are initiative 5 marines who get 3 attacks on a charge. not bad.

also. all of their troops choices (aside from normal chaos marines) are fearless (good and bad)

The chaos marines also get another unit that has the highest variety of any unit in the game

Obliterators. terminators with 2 wounds, and able to use 1 of 6 weapons per turn, also being armed with fists makes them dangerous to attack
able to take out tanks, light tanks, troops, and mc's with ease.
their only weakness is being slow. and HORRIBLY expensive (75 per, ouch)

thats about it for chaos marines

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Assuming they all hit then you have to wound then I get my 2+ and he runs with 5 other mounted duded that have a 24" charge range. lol
las-cannons my friend, 5 of :D will whittle you down something chronic

failing that, whack in a good 5 -6 (commasar) power wepons, regardless of how many attacks you have, you wont kill them all in time ;D

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
chaos
horrificly evil and down right awesome to play

nids: very fun to have swarms of animmals under your control

orkz: probably the most fun codex to play as as there just so RANDOM!!! e.g

you dont get to choose what psychic power your weirdboy uses, you dont always control how far your looted wagon moves you dont even get to jump normaly one of your guys could die

·
Registered
90 Posts
i agree.

Orks are by far the most fun to play, the randomness and orkyness of everything they do makes orks..well. ORKS!

Nids aren't just good at zergling'ing you to death, but their MC's are off the charts in OPness (even though carnifex's have been nerfed, there are now even scaryier versions, tyrannofex, tervigon, etc)

The tervigon is a gimped dakkafex that shits out babies, also having 6 wounds makes them hard to crack. Being able to take 5 of them will fill the board with gaunts in a matter of turns. (one game where my friend proxied 5 tervigons to see how it would work) he spawned over 120gaunts by the time the game was over (thats 600pts of FREE gaunts, ouch)

·
Registered
118 Posts
codex Witch hunters:
An armory, yep, i get to choose who gets what from a massive list of stuff, not 5-6 options.

The Adversaries section means i can make the missus a kill team thats balanced with my sisters of battle.

Dominions with 4 flamers, a vet. superior with brazier of holy fire, and a palatine with one to. thats 6 templates on a 6 model squad. Salamanders WISH they had that.

Book of St. Lucius, ya'll know what this does, and for how many(or few in this case) points.

Exorcists, cos nothing takes light to medium armour out better IMHO.

And finally, the artwork. seriously good stuff, though a couple are just awfull, the rest makes up for it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As tau I have the best non-melta weapon in the game.

But that pales in comparison to the best piece of vehicle wargear ever. The disruption pod, a near permanent cover save for the bargain price of 5 points!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
nids: Trygon Prime because nothing says WTF! as a monstrous creature coming out of the ground behind you followed by a swarm of genestealers or gaunts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
codex Witch hunters:
An armory, yep, i get to choose who gets what from a massive list of stuff, not 5-6 options.

The Adversaries section means i can make the missus a kill team thats balanced with my sisters of battle.

Dominions with 4 flamers, a vet. superior with brazier of holy fire, and a palatine with one to. thats 6 templates on a 6 model squad. Salamanders WISH they had that.

Book of St. Lucius, ya'll know what this does, and for how many(or few in this case) points.

Exorcists, cos nothing takes light to medium armour out better IMHO.

And finally, the artwork. seriously good stuff, though a couple are just awfull, the rest makes up for it.
You hit pretty much all the points I was going to - especially the Armoury (why don't all codices do it this way!?).

Though I'd also like to add Troop units with Rending Heavy Flamers and 3+ Invulnerable saves all-round.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Blood Angels: The fluff is excellent, IMHO, and alot of the artwork and the colour section really brings the army to life. And, of course, a DC Dread with twin blood talons for shear killyness.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hate to say this, because its obvious... But ork boyz, I've seen them outkill just about any unit in the game point for point, Its hilarious as sin watching them just hit so many times that godly 2+ armor, and invuln saves eat it against a 220 point infantry squad. I've seen up to 600 points go by by against a well placed mob.

My personal favorite unit though is the Warbiker Warboss. That guy can stack so many upgrades that he's practically orky chuck norris. 4+ cover 5+ Invuln 6 PK attacks on the charge at strength 10, with toughness 6 cause of his bike. Good Times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
GK's

WS5 and 2+ strength to everyone in my army, i love mashing tougher to crack models in cc with them and because of this it brings me on to..

Justicars! don't know if anyone else feels the same but for me they just mince things in cc and really make the difference. i only wish i could take something like a vet squad of just justicars

oh and the armoury thing that the others were chatting about for their sisters

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Daemons!
Random as hell, rather difficult to play but with plenty of interesting units. Only very few units in the daemons codex are beneath consideration.
Their stats are over-the-top in so many cases (bloodletters are literally too powerful for their own good) and the way they play combined with their unpredictable nature makes for some incredible epic games!
Gotta love daemons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts