Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay this may be in the wrong section but i think it needs to go somewhere

i dont want to sound... constraining but i just want to get every ones opions on what a fluffy unit is for a fluffy army.
what this means is that i dont think an obliterator is a fluffy unit for a night lords army but raptors are as well as bikers.

so name a unit any unit and say what legion,craft world,chapter, hivefleet it fits into.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It is in the wrong section, should have been in the General 40k section.

Anyway, bit of pedantry over and done with.

What's fluffy depends on what army your running. An Iyanden army full of Wraithguard and Wraithlords is fluffy, a Saim Hann loaded down with Jetbikes or a Snakebites army where everything's on foot are fluffy.

I could go on, but I'll leave that to whoever else contributes to this thread.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
he probably means chaos-

Khârn for a World Eaters army

·
4,491 Posts
One of the easiest ways to have a fluffy list of the 4 main legions is by going mono-god, just give EVERYTHING a mark of their dedicated god, and use cult troops.

The following only has the Undivided mark, no god marks...
Black Legion is generally bits and pieces of everything led by Abbadon.
Night Lords have Raptors and little heavy support.
Iron Warriors have lots of heavy support.
Alpha Legion are harder to do with the 4th ed dex (no infiltrate or cultists).
etc etc.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Depends.

Just because something isn't "fluffy" straight out of the book. There's no reason you can't rename it, convert something and Ta-Da. Suddenyl it fits your army idea.

I'm starting a Tzeentch / Thousand Sons army. Slow, Determined, Foot army that doesn't really scream "put bikers in it"

however, a unit of disc riders would be fluffy as hell.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Whizzwangs got it. I agree.

as far as Obliterators not being fluffy for NightLords I would think it would all be in how you play them Deep Striking is very fluffy with the NightLords whole hit and run fast stiking army theme however i would always try to get in some raptors and Bikes. just use your imagination " 3 oblits teleporting in and nuking a strategic point in your opponents army sounds good"
if you just park them in the back and use them as a static fire platform well then as a general your not using them in a very fluffy fashion.

If its only Choas you are worried about then try to get your hands on the 4th edition codex it has charts and stuff that will lead you in the right direction for building a fluffy army based on the Chaos legions. the previous codex for Eldar also had some nice fluffy guidelines. hope that eases your troubled soul.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So pretty much, a good example would be Iron Warriors using bikes, or Night Lords using a whole bunch of daemons.
But the Night Lords despise the Chaos Gods, why would they have a whole bunch of daemons? Sure some of them get gifted against their will, but for the most part the Night Lords stay clear of the Dark Gods. The only exception to this is Furies, and that's only because Raptors enslave them. Wouldn't it be fluffier for Iron Warriors to use Vindicators instead of bikes?

Unless of course the point of that sentence was to highlight choices that would be unfluffy, and in that case yeah that's pretty spot on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
for instance. I run an Emperor's Children army.
I try to run as fluffy as possible. (I dnt know why I just do.)
I found myself wanting a set of khorne bezerkers.
being that Slaanesh does not get along with Khorne.
I (created) The Masochists of Slaanesh.
I run with the same rules as if they were Khorne bezerkers.
but throwing my own Slaaneshy spin on it alows me to use the unit in my army and still stay fluffy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Whatever you can make up decent fluff for.

Taking the spoon fed backround from GW verbatum isn't interesting- so carve out your own little corner of the Grimdark.

--edit--
Like this:
I (created) The Masochists of Slaanesh.
I run with the same rules as if they were Khorne bezerkers.
but throwing my own Slaaneshy spin on it alows me to use the unit in my army and still stay fluffy.
Very cool.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the Night Lords despise the Chaos Gods, why would they have a whole bunch of daemons? Sure some of them get gifted against their will, but for the most part the Night Lords stay clear of the Dark Gods.
youve been reading too much soul hunter. before that book night lords were very open about daemon. Great book, but i wish they didnt make chaos daemons seem... evil for evil if you get what i mean, also im black legion and Abaddon isnt THAT big of an egotistic asshole.:so_happy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts