Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been asked before, but I couldn`t find it. So I thought screw it and started a new thread. (`cus I haven`t for a while...)

Hypothetically, if you were given control over an aspect of GW lore, would you change it?

What would you like to see altered?

And why do you want this piece of canon to change?

Also, I`m aware that many people may say they don`t want a change. Well... :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would have the emperor get more things right during the run up to the heresy. He just seems to have been a bit of a moron.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wouldnt have the lost primarchs. i'd have included all of 'em. would make Guilliman go heretic! hahaha nurgle ultramarines would be awesome.

·
Registered
335 Posts
pretty obvious one, change the lore from it being stalemate and the emperor still sitting around doing nothin..:p

to... having some kind of hero or character from horus heresy come back and alter the situation or just have some kind of important battle of secret discovered that would really change the lore, like the void dragon awakening or Garro leading a crusade into the eye of terror :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
actually, having some primarchs come back would be awesome. imagine russ coming back from the eye of terror having aged only like 25 years and wreaking havoc! the mind boggles!!

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I would like to see a primarch back regardless of the fall out that could come with it, hell i'd want the fallout, just something to break the deadlock. Like Ferrus said, just have some lore changing event happen, something to shake things up a little. I remember in the run up to the 13th Black Crusade thinking it was going to be something really big, maybe change things around a little, but in the end nothing really changed, i know its still meant to be going on, but if it hadn't happened nothing would change really.

·
Registered
290 Posts
angel of blood, i totally agree. i had a conversation at my local GW with the boss about Vulkan, which got us onto the subject of if he came back and the Sallies were just fighting everyone because the Inquisition thought he was tainted. maybe thats going to be the next thing in a few years... loads of new books and a new era for 40k, god I could go on and on

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
The 13th Black Crusade.
It could be so much better used as a plot device if it had moved a bit closer to the heart of the Imperium. At the moment it seems like Abaddon gets everything together, stops all the infighting and back biting for just about long enough to get out of the EOT and then stops because the IG are there.
I know there is a lot more than Imperial Guard stopping him but that's how the whole thing comes across to me.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Indeed, the 13th black crusade advanced nothing when it had so much potential. Looking back on it to me it just seemed like a bit of a cashcow. Release a load of new models and a codex, high profile campaign so people will buy some new units for their army to freshen things up a little, but in the end didn't do much. I mean i literally don't know anyone who plays a Lost and Damned, Uthwe, Cadian or 13th company army. Not one, loads of people did at the time because of the campaign, bought a load of models etc, but all of them have now just been merged into standard chaos/eldar/guard/space wolf armies.

So yeah, plotwise and fluffwise it just did nothing for me really.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What about if the you-know-whos came back, the little fellas!!!:shok:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seriously though, its time for another schism.Smart money would be on either the Smurfs breaking away, or the Fenrisians finally snapping and not taking any more bull from Terra, a SM vs SM fight is the only way to go as they are GWs chosen. Make them loads of cash on 'dexes/models/books.

Never happen though.....

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Or even something like the inquisition finally putting their foot down on the blood angels or space wolves and trying to purge them, and the resulting carnage that might come with it from other chapters siding with them

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i want to see the Eldar a bit more active i like the fact they have thier mystery but it seems they do nothing then they do smethng massive like the 13th crusade and now tey gone quiet again i love the Eldar and i think tey shouldhave more of their trials and tribulations

·
Registered
375 Posts
Making the campaigns they did MUCH more significant, all of them have either ended in stalemate or uneventful, 13th Black Crusade....barely anything. Yes Abbadon finally got a foothold on Cadia, but then conveniently they're blockaded by an Imperial Fleet so no reinforcements for them. 3rd War for Armageddon...once again no clear winner, just more troops into a meatgrinder. The Tyranid Hive Fleets (major ones like Leviathan and Behemoth) were slightly better seeing as Imperials clearly suffered greatly but ended up ruining the more recent one (was it Leviathan?) by sidetracking them with Orks. I'm all for the Orks smashing up some Nids but it's just another plot device where the Imperials avoid doing anything different and keeps up the terrible deadlock between forces. Another thing I would change is the terrible stuff Matt Ward wrote in his codices, it's just plain ridiculous; "Well instead of just drop-lifting the Land Raiders like normal people we're going to drop it from high altitude! No way are the troops inside or machinery going to get damaged when they land, no sir!" *facepalm* I'd also like to change back to when Orks USED to be considered to be a lot more competent (or at least powerful) in some of the Big Mek's weaponry, particularly the Force Fields. Right now they just kind of say "Eh, yeah they have potential but they ain't got nothing on the Imperials"

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would definitely bring the primarchs that could be brought back, back into the lore. It would open the flood gates with so many possible stories. Angel of Blood definitely hit the nail on the head. Just shake up the lore for the sake of it. It only adds to the intrigue and it most definitely adds to more and exciting mysteries occurring and being brought forth.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I want to say that the general atmosphere of WH40k is a long, endless, grinding war. It's hopeless. Even if you were to try with all your might, all you could gain is another day of suffering.

Wars here aren't over in a blink of an eye. In the Imperial Guard Codex they talk about sending additional reinforcements to a particular sector. It then goes on to say "Victory expected sometime towards the end of the 42nd millennium." Think about that. We went from small city states to exploring our solar system in 2000 years. They're expecting to fight this war for most of our modern history.

And quite frankly, there has to be deadlocks. Otherwise one side will annihilate another and then we'd have some very unhappy customers. "Why did they seal away most of the Necron tomb worlds!?!" "What do you mean the Tau got exterminated by 14 marine chapters?" "You're saying the entire Eldar race sacrificed themselves to seal away Tzeentch!?!"

Also all the matrix-level bullet dodging the Imperium is adding to the atmosphere. "Well, that bought us some time...but how much? And, oh God, that thing over there is coming back to rape us!"

If I had to change anything, though, it would be to throw some real threats at the Tau. I'd love to see their Greater Good buckle under the weight of pragmatism.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I could change anything about the 40k lore, I would be a bit more open about thinks. I would fill the missing gaps and plot holes. GW need to knuckle down with a few good writers from BL and sort out their lore in general. I know they leave a lot open so people can make stuff up themselves, but sometimes it's just stupid. Basically GW should take a leaf out of DC Comics book and do a sort of Final Crisis thing, just to clear it up.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Most of the holes in 40k's plot line stem from it's early days as a narrative skirmish game, these things were left for the players to resolve.
With Epic scale you could stage the final battles of the Horus Heresy or decide just what would happen at the end of the Imperium.
As the game has become more and more about tournament play rather than role play these aspects of the game make less sense. (Many) players have lost interest in campaigns that alter the fate of the Imperium in favour of army A vs army B scenarios.

I'm not moaning about tournament players, it's kept the game going for years but fluff wise GW need to either fill in the gaps or push for more narrative gaming because at the moment the two sides of the game are moving further and further apart.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts