Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like the new escalation and stronghold supplements have finally pushed the first major tournament to create a comp rule set. Feast of Blades will be a comp tournament next year.
If you were the TO of a tournament, what units would you ban and/or restrict? Would you limit restricted units to 0-1 per detachment or per army? Why?

I myself would ban EVERYTHING that's not in a basic codex or BRB (nothing from a "Supplement" and restrict everything to 0-1 per army that's not a Troop Choice (or dedicated transport). I would do this for many reasons. One is to be "fair" (quotes intentional - "You restricted heldrakes! Why not [insert random unit]!? They're OP too!")

But what would you ban/restrict? :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's hard to say really- because if you ban say drakes chaos will bitch that they have no good options
Ban everything and armies like guard perhaps won't have much to take
Tau I know would struggle with only one of everything- they have limited AT outside broadsides and hammerheads, limited anti-teq outside riptides

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
0-1 restrictions on Baleflamers, Ion Accelerators, and possibly Divination Psykers.
0-2 restrictions on Wraithknights and Vendetta Gunships.

Other small erratas would be;
- Grimoire of True Names only affects the Invulnerable save given by the Daemon special rule - it does not stack with psychic powers or other wargear.
- Wave Serpent Shield is one-use-only.
- Battle Brothers cannot join each others' units.
- Formations, Escalation, and Stronghold Assault are banned.
- Maximum of 3 Flyers in a single army.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'd ban dice.

They've screwed me over millions of times more than any poxy, so-called "over powered" model ever has.
Laughing at me, what with their six faces and "randomly" generated values...

Oh, yes.
I'd ban dice...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Taking more than 2 of any unit from all books. Still allows redundancies but we actually get some variety in armies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to say really- because if you ban say drakes chaos will bitch that they have no good options
Ban everything and armies like guard perhaps won't have much to take
Tau I know would struggle with only one of everything- they have limited AT outside broadsides and hammerheads, limited anti-teq outside riptides
As a chaos player, I wouldn't mind having my heldrakes restricted. ;)
And I used to play Tau too. They still have crisis suits with fusion blasters, don't they? :confused:

Taking more than 2 of any unit from all books. Still allows redundancies but we actually get some variety in armies.
0-2 seems reasonable. And yes, I agree it would add more variety :D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Fusion blasters involve being close, and if you take fusion blasters in a 1 max army
Your only termie killer or even marine killer is basically riptides with ions or plasma rifles

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd ban...banlists!

Everything is legal - lets just play 40k with the gloves off!
When everyone is special no one will be!

Mwahahahaha!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ban lists are a slippery slope. What are the biggest offenders? 2++ rerollable? Ok make it a 2+/4+ or something instead. Chip commanders hugging riptides? Slap the tau guy and tell him to knock it off. Wave serpents? 1 use only shield. Super heavies? Change D weapons to str 10/ap1 ignore cover. If the revenant waac starts bitching, slap him too. Av15 fortress? Make it av14. Put a 0-1 limit on fliers. No allying with your own supplements (no cherry picking the best of both worlds).

Or...quit pretending 40k is competitive anymore and just have fun with it?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I wouldn't ban anything peops is just annoyed cos there old 6ed lists need changing witch is imo a good thing.
So how do you change your lists to make a bunch of Screamers with re-rollable 2++ saves into a fun, tactical challenge to fight? What units do you take to make three Heldrakes into an interesting strategic dilemma?

Yeah, I really enjoy having my army cleared off the table by a Revenant Titan which I can't damage in return.

Midnight

·
Registered
211 Posts
That would seem like the best option. I go to tournaments to play with new and different people I couldn't play with otherwise so I don't particularly care.

Still, if the game was better balanced and the cheese wasn't so glaringly obvious I most certainly wouldn't cry tears of blood.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
So how do you change your lists to make a bunch of Screamers with re-rollable 2++ saves into a fun, tactical challenge to fight? What units do you take to make three Heldrakes into an interesting strategic dilemma?
Man, you really hate Chaos xD Although, if people play them as exploitative as you claim, I probably would be a bit bitter too.

Rest assured though, some of us play them responsibly too!

·
Registered
379 Posts
And others try to cram a Lord of Skulls into a 1,500PTS list:grin: For me the game is about having fun and having an army that looks badass on the field. Ban lists are an interesting idea but I think it's going to be hard to keep it balanced for every army out there.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Yeah, I really enjoy having my army cleared off the table by a Revenant Titan which I can't damage in return.

Midnight
None of these lists are fun or tactically challenging.

But when you think about it people bring a screamer star to stack the odds in there favour.

Well suddenly that unit has a rock to its scissors,and that is escalation and any d weapon attacks.

So a tourney player isn't going to take a list were they lose to any army with d weapons are they?

So my point escalation effectively neuters the most broken unit in the game,witch is only a good thing imo.

Heldrakes are a very powerfull unit,and 3 of them can be very hard to deal with depending on your army.

But again supplements are the answer,strong hold assault you can get like 8 defence line auto cannons or something,so again a cold hard counter to a overpowered army.[/COLOR]

Know the revanent ok its big its mean but only if you dont have tools to deal with it and that doesnt mean 1 turn its gone.

Do you normally remove 6 av12 12 10 tanks from the feild t1 or 800 points or so if you do you shouldnt be complaining about anything :grin:

The revanent is very potent but your vulnerable to air units and its a huge wad of points gone.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
None of these lists are fun or tactically challenging.

But when you think about it people bring a screamer star to stack the odds in there favour.

Well suddenly that unit has a rock to its scissors,and that is escalation and any d weapon attacks.

So a tourney player isn't going to take a list were they lose to any army with d weapons are they?

So my point escalation effectively neuters the most broken unit in the game,witch is only a good thing imo.
The only problem being that Destroyer Weapons are a hard counter to EVERYTHING, and encourages you to take a fuck ton of infantry. Destroyer weapons completely remove the viability of Terminators, Paladins, Nobz, Land Raiders, Battlesuits, and in fact just about everything except Flyers and GEQ. Wait, isn't that what's strong in the game anyway? Driving people to bring only Guard blobs and Flyers or nothing at all isn't improving the game.

You say that Destroyer is a rock to the scissors of Screamerstar, but it's not a rock to scissors. It's a nuclear missile against paper. Yeah, Screamerstar is not viable in a meta with Destroyer weapons, but neither is anything else except gigantic blobs of cheap infantry and Flyers.

Heldrakes are a very powerfull unit,and 3 of them can be very hard to deal with depending on your army.
If a balanced list can't answer it, then that thing needs to be changed, surely?

But again supplements are the answer,strong hold assault you can get like 8 defence line auto cannons or something,so again a cold hard counter to a overpowered army.
But not, because if you bring a massive amount of anti-air then you have no answer to Massive Fortifications, which will clean you off the board with surprise surprise, Destroyer weapons. Bringing loads of anti-air makes you worse against ground targets because AA weapons pay to have Skyfire/Interceptor, so you end up being inefficient against anything but Flyers.

Know the revanent ok its big its mean but only if you dont have tools to deal with it and that doesnt mean 1 turn its gone.
What's the thing the Revenant's going to be shooting at? Your counters to it, to achieve complete control of the game. And it's more than capable of doing so - the Revenant removes things. Completely.

And I'd be interested to know the tool to deal with four Destroyer large blasts on a chassis with a 4+ unmodifiable save moving 36" per turn with a range so large it doesn't actually matter on almost any 40k board.

Do you normally remove 6 av12 12 10 tanks from the feild t1 or 800 points or so if you do you shouldnt be complaining about anything
Removing a Revenant on the first turn is exceedingly difficult.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts