Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three legions focused on stealth, infiltration as well as hit and run in some form or another. What were the philosophical differences, tactical, strategical, and OM differences between them?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
All three legions focused on stealth, infiltration as well as hit and run in some form or another. What were the philosophical differences, tactical, strategical, and OM differences between them?
It's quite clear based on the lore that the Night Lords and the Raven Guard are actually the same legion.

It was not possible for the Emperor to create gene-seed based on the Night Haunter's DNA because he was a psychopath so he used Corax's genetic stability to create the Night Lords legion.

However, the Raven-Guard infused Space Marines dispatched to the NL all eventually became madmen because they were recruited from Nostramo.

Otherwise they are the same in every way only the NL prefer to scream and kill more.

The AL are essentially their cousins. Again based on the lore, most notably the Serpent Beneath where we see Omegon's penchant for stealth which is clearly a nod to their cousin-relationship, we cannot deny the fact that the AL shares an extremely close bond to the other aforementioned legions.

However, during the twins crash landing onto their secret home-world, it's clear Alpharius suffered head trauma that led to his difference in personality which cultivated in his legion not shunning the shadows but rather using them only when necessary as opposed to always like with the cousin legions.

Again, with Deliverance Lost, we see an AL operative blend in with his cousins as though he was raised amongst them and it was only possible to accomplish this and even to fool a Primarch based on their cousin-status.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good question, I don't know the answer to that.

I'll use the same sort of scenario to illustrate my understanding- each legion attacking some kind of fortified base. The NL would use infiltration and stealth to terrify the enemy occupying the position and weaken resistance when they do choose to strike, with spreading fear being the main focus and the stealth aspect being only a means to further that goal. The AL would use stealth as a tool to keep themselves hidden and quite possibly get in and out of the fort without being detected or necessarily even fighting. It's quite possible they wouldn't even be directly involved and would use operatives to achieve their ends. The Raven Guard I imagine using stealth as a purely martial application (like ninjas) to take out defenders in the most surgical way without things coming to a huge standoff and firefight.

So in the simplest sense I'd isolate their intentions for using sneaky tactics

Alpha Legion- Stealth for subterfuge
Night Lords- Stealth for terror
Raven Guard- Stealth for combat advantage

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'll use the same sort of scenario to illustrate my understanding- each legion attacking some kind of fortified base. The NL would use infiltration and stealth to terrify the enemy occupying the position and weaken resistance when they do choose to strike, with spreading fear being the main focus and the stealth aspect being only a means to further that goal. The AL would use stealth as a tool to keep themselves hidden and quite possibly get in and out of the fort without being detected or necessarily even fighting. It's quite possible they wouldn't even be directly involved and would use operatives to achieve their ends. The Raven Guard I imagine using stealth as a purely martial application (like ninjas) to take out defenders in the most surgical way without things coming to a huge standoff and firefight.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense, and it was in a very easily understandable format.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm confused, how does Night Haunter's mental state affect the capacity for gene-seed to be made from him? It never stopped the World Eaters. Hell, Sanguinius had full blown wings and they could still make gene-seed from him. What makes you say they couldn't from Night Haunter?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What makes you say they couldn't from Night Haunter?
He's trolling hard....I think.
~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the differences, infiltration is merely the tool to facilitate their means to achieve the mutual goal of victory.

For the Night Lords (at least in the beginning), the tool was terror. Cripple the enemy's means to fight. It saps their fighting strength. Terror, if done right, would theoretically disincline anyone from rebelling from the Imperium.

Extermination covers the difference between the difference between the Raven Guard and Alpha Legion:

...."The Alpha Legion developed a reptuation....for the use of espionage, infiltration and sabotage in its strategic planning. But where the Raven Guard sought to use such tactics to achieve victory without unnecesary attrition, or spare a human population it sought to liberate, the Alpha Legion had other, darker, purposes in mind. To them, such a cover tactics seemed almost a deadly game of prelude. Where it could, the Alpha Legion would spread confusion and disorder seemingly for its own sake as well as any tactical gain it conferred, or even perhaps for the bloody spectacle of it."

On a bit of rumination, I think the Alpha Legion went to such extremes to show their brother Legions that the Alpha Legion was not only a capable Legion, but they were the absolute master of their mode of warfare; victory was not enough. Victory had to be undisputed from before the engagement began.

Hrm, later on in the Alpha Legion entry, it states so as well:

"Such zealousness to prove themselves as part of the Great Crusade at any cost, and the often over-elaborate and needlessly complex and malign way to which the Alpjha Legion chose to wage war saw them quickly gain infamy more than fame."

So those are my feelings on what separates the three Legions.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's quite clear based on the lore that the Night Lords and the Raven Guard are actually the same legion.

It was not possible for the Emperor to create gene-seed based on the Night Haunter's DNA because he was a psychopath so he used Corax's genetic stability to create the Night Lords legion.

However, the Raven-Guard infused Space Marines dispatched to the NL all eventually became madmen because they were recruited from Nostramo.

Otherwise they are the same in every way only the NL prefer to scream and kill more.

The AL are essentially their cousins. Again based on the lore, most notably the Serpent Beneath where we see Omegon's penchant for stealth which is clearly a nod to their cousin-relationship, we cannot deny the fact that the AL shares an extremely close bond to the other aforementioned legions.

However, during the twins crash landing onto their secret home-world, it's clear Alpharius suffered head trauma that led to his difference in personality which cultivated in his legion not shunning the shadows but rather using them only when necessary as opposed to always like with the cousin legions.

Again, with Deliverance Lost, we see an AL operative blend in with his cousins as though he was raised amongst them and it was only possible to accomplish this and even to fool a Primarch based on their cousin-status.
I'm assuming this is a massive troll, although I love the idea you had of the Raven Guard being used to try to stabilise the Night Lords. The expelled Raven Guard who were sent to the nomad predation fleets and went on to form the Carcharodon Astra (in my opinion) shared quite a lot with the Night Lords in terms of terror tactics and savagery.

Absolutely bang on IMO, nuff said :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts