Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I plan to get into conversion more heavily now. I'm working on a kill team as well as stripping and disassembling the tanks I bought on Ebay. One of them has the turret and the hull lascannon glued on. I should pick up some green stuff and dental picks. What about toothpicks? Would those work the same?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use clippers, sand paper and the universal and inevitable swiss army knife for moddeling. I like simplisity.

For painting, I have a large drybrush, two basecoat brushes (one of them is for inking), a starndard brush, a detail brush and two fine detail brushes. Some of them are just kept in case another brush turns retarded.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I have a razor saw (a saw shaped like a cut-throat razor) and I recommend it for cutting up most models, especially plastics.

It has a rigid blade so it does very straight cuts. I find it easier to use than a hacksaw. It isn't great for cutting through thick stuff but that's rarely an issue with minis.

I sometimes use my dremel for cutting but not all that much.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
clippers
knife
file
junier hacksaw
callipars
round head pliars
my fingers

·
Registered
905 Posts
i dont use much, i got a new standard brush after badly abusing and wrecking my old one. I no longer use a detail brush, the eyes turn out fine i also use an exacto knife and clippers. The knife i use for everything in the house, opning tough packages, opening letters, mold lines and regular modeling stuff as well. I have a hacksaw lying around in my room but it was for a school project a long time ago.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I forgot about leaving pieces of my fingers in some of my better models.... I also forgot a custom painting table and chair with all the stuff needed built into it including a small paint booth. I also use a 1000/1500 degree heat gun for warming and melting some plastic models (for slight pose changes). I also have cleaning vats for stripping models and washing models (most models have oil on them and you gotta wash them to get it off).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey the heat gun is a good idea, Djinn! Can you give a few tips on using it? What kind do you have?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok, i use some...strange, home made Tools.

First of all, my Grinder for rounded parts (like Barrels of Tanks ) to clean them from moldlines ans to make them smooth after assembling.

<---The sandingpaper wraps around the pipe, and follows the surface.

The second one is allso made from an electrical toothbrush. It´s a saw for cuting plastic Modelparts like Tankdoors or limbs for rebuliding.

Allso my homemade Foamcutter made from an old Sawbow and some wires.

Then a other Cutter i build to make small riverbeeds and lakes in my terrains.

For making rivets (like on my dread) i use a hole punch
<--100 Rivets in 3 minutes are ace.

and so on.

I use so many other tools, way to much to post them at once

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got the new Dremel Stylus, it is PERFECT for modelling work, accept no less.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey the heat gun is a good idea, Djinn! Can you give a few tips on using it? What kind do you have?
I have a craftman heat gun, it has 2 temps. You will want to hold the model a good distance away and keep your fingers far away from the jet of hot air coming out, you will blister yourself bad ifyou do not. You do not want the model to melt per say but you want to heat it up to a point where it can be bent by putting gentle pressure on the model.

edit: this is simular to what I have http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00990733000P?keyword=heat+gun

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I suppose that would save on green stuff.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts