Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had an issue with getting my models undercoated with some primer I bought at my flgs. I was wondering what other options there were. The brand I am currently using is Dork Tower army primer and I have been told to stay away from GW chaos black spray.
So all that for the real question:
What spray is good to base coat all kinds of models (plastic and metal)?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
the GW spray isnt that bad, sometimes get a dodgey one, but that happens with any spray,, army painter do some good primers as well

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have had good results with the Privateer Press line of primers. I used the Armory (Dork Tower) line as well, but find that it can eliminate some detail in plastic figs (even if used lightly).

If you go with the P3 stuff, be sure to wash metal models in soap and water first. Otherwise, your primer may not work as well.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Krylon Primers. Come in White, Black, Grey, and Brown/red. Never had a problem, they're available all over USA.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Spraypaints are probably the one thing I'd say to go with GW everytime. Their sprays are perfectly suitable for undercoating your minis. Of course if you want a brown or other colours, you should check out other companies.

I've always used GW Chaos Black or Skull White, and never had any problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what kind of Krylon to use for the minis because the owner of my flgs recommended it to me?

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
I use GW spray myself for most things, with a can of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer for resin and high detail.

From the Krylon range Indoor/Outdoor Primer is probably your best bet, particularly if you have metal models as well as plastic.

If you are priming resin and want to stick with Krylon Fusion for Plastic might be worth it.

If you are wondering about colour then Krylon make the following suggestions:

Which color primer should I choose?
Your choice of primer will depend on the color of your project.

* Gray Primer- use if your topcoat color is light to medium- examples: silver, blue, gray, etc.
* Ruddy Brown Primer- use if your topcoat is medium to dark- examples: maroon, brown, etc.
* Black Primer- use if your topcoat is dark or black- examples: black, dark charcoal, etc.
* White Primer- use if your topcoat is white or pastel- examples: yellow, cream, light metallic, etc.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I use Krylon for a lot of stuff, largely because it's about $2 a can. I honestly can't tell a difference between their spray paint and GW's, except for the smell (turns out, Krylon is a tad bit stronger, and is responsible for more of my brain cells going poof than GW's.)

GW primer isn't really primer, also-- it's just spray paint. That being said, it works just fine since it's an enamel and does bond with the material differently than acrylics do. I do use GW sprays some, and in particular, use a fair bit of Purity Seal, the matte varnish spray. I also like The Army Painter line of colored sprays-- I've gone to using their bone color for my own Space Marines, who have white armor, for example, and as bizarre as it might sound, I start Orcs/Orks from one of their brown primers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I use Krylon for a lot of stuff, largely because it's about $2 a can. I honestly can't tell a difference between their spray paint and GW's, except for the smell...
TSoH, is there a particular Krylon spray you use? Krylon has a huge range of paints and primers so I don't want to get the wrong stuff. I like the GW 'primer' but it's insanely expensive at $15 a can. It must be made out of the same elven magic they use on those metal models.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I use the Krylon Indoor/outdoor primer in Grey, white, black, and ruddy brown. Always good in almost everything!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts