Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Should I have focussed my heavy fire on the wriathknight, or everyone else?

• Wraithknight. Bring it down, bring it down!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Everyone else. Hopefully he'll have no one to score objectives left!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don't care, the OP is stupid, I hate everyone. Blood for the Blood God!

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow member, I played a game against an Eldar army the other day which fielded a wraithknight with a TL Scatterlaser, a Suncannon (TLed with the SL), and a 5+ invul (a Shimmershield I believe?) (I played Space Marines). As it was a 1250 point game this was his biggest unit in the game. I decided to go all out in an effort to wipe it from the table (a meltagun, a TL Lascannon, a Lascannon, and 4 Missile Launchers) in doing so I was able to bring it down to one wound by the end of the game (meaning ALL of those shots the whole game were worthless)!

My question is should I have tried to kill it (regardless of the fact that I was unsucessful) or should I have ignored it, and tried to kill of his other units? His other units included a 5 main Wraithguard unit in a Wave Serpent, a 2 War Walker squad with 2 Scatter Lasers (this one wiped my Vanguard Veterans and Chapter Master :mad:!), a 10 Man Guardian Squad and a 10 Man Dire Avengers Squad (sitting on objectives).

I am not saying the Wraithknight is overpowered, it is my belief that many people consider any unit 'overpowerd' when it is used correctly against oposition that isn't utilized correctly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To me I would have ignored the wraith knight & gone for the other units 1st

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I had a roommate who played Eldar last year, and several in my FLGS, and let's just say, I'm grateful my roommate refused to buy more than one of those things on principle. To have a chance at winning, I basically have to build my lists keeping "ways to kill a Wraithknight" in mind at all times. And it's tough: they'll eat up 3 Heavy Support choices' worth of shooting for 3 or 4 turns if you let them, in order to take down. At 1,250... it's tough to bring enough firepower to bear without resorting to Instant-Death causing weapons. Which for Space Marines is a Librarian with a Force Axe hoping to survive the Wraithknight's attacks then to roll a 6 to wound. There's no easy way through it...

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Devastator Grav Cannon Centurions would make rather short work of Wraithknights, if you can get them within 24". They're probably the best option you have going as a wraithknight slayer. Otherwise you're looking at TH/SS termies to try and take him down. You'd want to be charging the wraithknight with them though, since it's likely you'll lose one or two termies before they can strike, so you really need the extra attacks. The mobility it has is probably its best asset though, being able to jump around and avoid charges and the likes, you'd want to position your units very carefully .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'd say knights, but that is an expensive, if awesome, option. If anything else it would give the Wraithknight something other then the rest of your army for a few turns.

Option two, would be mind bullets. Psy shriek inflict wounds with armor or cover allowed. Though your unlikely to insta kill it in one turn, it can get around the knight toughness and armor. Plus as a major benefit rolling telepathy can also get you some other super strong powers such as invisibility.

Option three might be the Ironclad dreadnought with a Seismic hammer, AP 1, strength ten, Concussive (not sure what this rule does exactly in 7th sorry), if you want to brute force it, and it some what cheap.

Option four would be vanguard marines with power fists, but that is expensive. Fast though and could get up to it.

option five: grav weapons, bikes can put out six, or 9 if you get a combi for the sarge, shots that ignore armor and wound on a 2+, Centuions as well, but the knight is a jump monster so you may have trouble catching it.

hope that helps.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Grav Weapons will tear through it like wet paper. The other, far less reliable option is to try and find some access to Divination - Misfortune makes your Bolters able to wound it with no armour on 6s, which is pretty great.

The Suncannon is really brutal though - I've had it eat squads of everything from Deathwing to Ork Boyz.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know about dedicating yourself to bringing it down (depends on lists, terrain et mission) but putting pressure on it is essential. With 12" movement he can escape but if he's not under any pressure, it gets him to crazily good firing positions!

EDIT: dont grav weapons wou d it on 3+ rather than 2+?

·
Registered
992 Posts
EDIT: dont grav weapons wou d it on 3+ rather than 2+?
Yes, but with T8...most weapons are wounding on a 4+ or worse. So grav has a better chance to wound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I play wraithknights, the thing that scares me most is psychic shriek. Include a few models that can use psychic shriek in your army and try and get him with that. Also maximise your 2" unit coherency rule, so at worst you suffer only 6 str6 ap2 hits if he hits all his small blasts. You should be fine.

Other option is to bog him down with a big unit with a powerfist hidden in it.
Don't waste your big guns on it, take out some tanks with them. If you think you can kill it in 2/3 turns then kill it. If not ignore it. Too much hassle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts