Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a look at the New Release page over on BL. Of the 24 books on the first page, there are only three new titles, of which only one appears to be a full novel, Tech-Priest. Some of these re-releases are not even that old. Even on the second page most of them are shorts, collections of older stories, or wallpapers. Something is not right over there if all they can churn at the moment is re-releases.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah that whole site is getting very difficult to navigate. It's hard for me to tell what's new vs what's just repackaged shorts. The last HH novel I read was The Damnation of Pythos and I can't even tell if there's another actual HH novel to read.

There was a time I couldn't read the books fast enough, and they were all good. The quality level seems to have dropped very rapidly over the last few years, which is unfortunate to me because the books are what I enjoy most since I don't play the tabletop game.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
This is GW worlds business model, spam you with crap. Quantity not Quality is their tag line.
Okay, find me a miniatures line with better quality models than GW that aren't 'spamming you with crap'.

Say what you like about GW, their quality of stuff is really high, it's just that the price for it is exponential rather than incremental which people would expect. I'd gladly, gladly pay more for GW models than any other models. Black Library, sure, I hear that it's gone to hell in a handbasket, but that's not enough to make sweeping statements about GW as a whole.

Sorry to drag the models into a BL thread, but the above statement is plain wrong.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay, find me a miniatures line with better quality models than GW that aren't 'spamming you with crap'.

Say what you like about GW, their quality of stuff is really high, it's just that the price for it is exponential rather than incremental which people would expect. I'd gladly, gladly pay more for GW models than any other models. Black Library, sure, I hear that it's gone to hell in a handbasket, but that's not enough to make sweeping statements about GW as a whole.

Sorry to drag the models into a BL thread, but the above statement is plain wrong.
No it isn't wrong.
I'll agree the models are high quality, but look at what else they do and you'll see they put a lot of stuff out there that isn't great, that doesn't stand the test of time, that is only designed to achieve one thing, a cash injection as all the fan boys buy up the latest offering and then a couple of years down the line, you never see it again except on some dusty shelf in a warehouse waiting for a troll to fill a once in a blue moon internet order.

Even with their good stuff it's spammed out. You barely get time to build an army before a new version of it is released these days and reinventing the rules all the damn time. How many versions of WHFB magic have there been now? Not to mention the massive price hikes. You lot are getting ripped off all the time but you refuse to see it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Had a look at the New Release page over on BL. Of the 24 books on the first page, there are only three new titles, of which only one appears to be a full novel, Tech-Priest. Some of these re-releases are not even that old. Even on the second page most of them are shorts, collections of older stories, or wallpapers. Something is not right over there if all they can churn at the moment is re-releases.
My best guess is that the authors are getting burned out. Also I'd love to see the eisenhorn series re printed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Some time ago I was in Waterstones looking out for a new HH book I'd heard was recently released, wondering if it was one of the ones on the shelf or they just didn't have it. I made the mistake of going to the BL site on my phone and stood there for ages getting more and more confused until I decided it mustn't have been released yet

When I got home later and looked it up it turned out the book was a limited edition novella so wouldn't have been there anyway. I wasn't impressed

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've said before that the BL website is shockingly bad.
They should have one point of reference for each title. You look up, for example, Horus Rising and it should return listing for that Title with all the various format options listed underneath. Not 3 listings with multiple options under each one.

They should also organise series better so people know what the hell goes with what because at the moment I doubt anyone, even BL, has a Scooby doos about what goes with what without having to look up some reference sheet.

Complete shambles.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This isn't really a website issue, it's the fact that they are re-releasing books that are barely a year or two old, with next to no new content on the first two pages. There's something going on with the writers, wether it's some sort of dispute with GW or not. We're going through the leanest period I can remember regarding new releases.

·
Registered
493 Posts
they must be noticing this no ? I mean there are no new books, the forums are dead, I guess the time of ending is close, also for BL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah the books are a mess and the minis are a mess too.
Sorry for bringing the subject back but GW is supposed to own FW and still they can't get together and work on a regular range of products that we the customers can use in both games.
Example, the mechanicum maniples.
FW had one for HH and GW released one for 40k that looks like the robot from lost in space.
Wtf.

Brother G

·
Registered
34 Posts
And I'm not too impressed with the twist BL is giving the HH. Ferus Manus can get killed but Lorgar Grimnar can hold a Warhound Titan from stepping on him and Angron?
Come on! !!!!!
Conrad can kill thousands of astares but Dorn gets killed by a few in the bridge of a starship?
Really?

Brother G

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
GW and BL are a failure of a business. I feel bad for those who wasted their creativity for these bastards. The Heresy was definitely something that could have pushed the 40k universe and even Warhammer as a pinnacle success with the top successful series of the same genre.

They made something that could have been a masterpiece and walked all over it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, you can see that a mile away. They keep feeding the press that they GW is at the same level as FW and is all bs. Anyone can see they are not telling the truth.
They have the biggest he said she said argument going on in the story of gaming companies.
One day all this stuff is going to come back and backfire on all of them and you'll see that they will loose everything, at that point I'll like to see them and ask them if it was worth it.

Brother G

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
And I'm not too impressed with the twist BL is giving the HH. Ferus Manus can get killed but Lorgar Grimnar can hold a Warhound Titan from stepping on him and Angron?
Come on! !!!!!
Conrad can kill thousands of astares but Dorn gets killed by a few in the bridge of a starship?
Really?
Er...

Have you actually, y'know, read the books? Or know what 40k fluff is at all?

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
This whole discussion is amusing and pointless.

If you don't like the books, stop buying them like so many already have. Me included. It doesn't really make you appear any smarter to continue crapping on about how much they supposedly suck.

Ditto the models. You don't like them? Follow the trend and jump ship to another system. I think they've gotten better in the last few years and the game has improved surprisingly well for gw's shift in priorities.

At the end of the day, nobody forces you to buy any of this.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts

If you don't like the books, stop buying them like so many already have. Me included. It doesn't really make you appear any smarter to continue crapping on about how much they supposedly suck.

Ditto the models. You don't like them? Follow the trend and jump ship to another system. I think they've gotten better in the last few years and the game has improved surprisingly well for gw's shift in priorities.

This³.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts

yeah +1 on this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts