Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Guys, it's just a game. There really is no need to get so worked up about it. Ranting and swearing is more childish than the game itself.
Also remember that everything that GW produces is for kids, it's just that adults play it too.
No, its for miniature collectors. thats a bit broader a target audience then "kids"

·
Registered
522 Posts
No, its for miniature collectors. thats a bit broader a target audience then "kids"
Ok, I don't want to get into arguments about semantics. But in reality, how many adults, who have never played any GW game, or been involved in anything to do with GW become GW miniature collectors?
It does have a broader appeal than just for kids, but only really for adults that are already invested in the franchise.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ok, I don't want to get into arguments about semantics. But in reality, how many adults, who have never played any GW game, or been involved in anything to do with GW become GW miniature collectors?
It does have a broader appeal than just for kids, but only really for adults that are already invested in the franchise.
Not that its a huge thing but certainly when I was younger as far as I was aware GW said Warhammer was aimed at 13+ so mainly teenagers and older. But your right I certainly don't know many people that picked it up cold after the age of 18

I really don't understand what is achieved by raging about rules that you don't have to use. 'Oh no its not competitive at all'. I'm sorry but GW stopped producing competitive games as soon as 6th ed 40k hit if not earlier. Not a single person will force you to use those rules, why not try actually playing the game first? As I said if its the funny rules that are the problem then you are doing better than most.

I would expect people to be raging about the lack of points or balancing mechanic as that will have a non-superficial effect on the game. Having to discuss your list and balance your armies beforehand is a pain and wastes time, and pick up games are all but gone. But you don't want to talk to your minitaures to get a bonus? Fine its simple - DON'T!!

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
What's the problem? If you're dedicated enough to talk to your models or dance to gain extra rules, you deserve them.

Let's instigate house rules; Form an emotional bond with your models and you can cut yourself with a hobby knife in lieu of them taking wounds. :grin:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Let's instigate house rules; Form an emotional bond with your models and you can cut yourself with a hobby knife in lieu of them taking wounds.
Slaanesh would be pleased.
But that would lead to others rules "You can add D6 wouonds to the enemy unit if you stab the opponent with a hobby knife". That would be a very Khornesque rule.
or even a Nurgle one : "For every scab you peel off from your body, you may reroll a dice. For every zit you squeeze off your body, you may add +1 to any roll"
And a tzeentch one... "If you successfully deceived your opponent letting them think that the game was another day/another place, you automatically win the game, since no one can contest your victory."

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
unless either of us actually have statistics. it would be pointless for both of us to argue the point.
its a matter of opinion that only adults that are already invested in the franchise to get into it propper.

I have experienced quite a lot of adults and young adults getting invested into the hobby and the franchise from 18 year old and onward. and at most having glanced at GW products at some point of their lives.

I actually do not think I have ever seen anyone younger then 17/18 in a GW store or an independent retailer. might just be coincidence or local demographics tho. I usualy play in a big college and university student city.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Ignore the silly rules, or continue to play last edition, no one is stopping that. Or Oldhammer, or Kings of War. Or wait for the extra rules sets that aren't silly, that they say they're producing. And the names changing are so they can be copy writable.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've just had a look through the Kings of War rules HERE, and they seem very straightforward whilst maintaining core strategic elements that look fun.
Are any of you playing this instead?

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Depending upon it's popularity/success etc we may open up a separate AoS section. No plans so far as to if it will be a standalone section or a WFB sub-forum :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Am I the only one that hates the silly rules because this hobby has a bad enough reputation, especially hobby stores, without having people act like they're insane in public? If I went into a shop and was looking at a product and there's a load of people in there talking to the products or dancing or gazing at each other trying to get eye contact with someone who's actively trying to avoid it, I'd run a fucking mile in the other direction.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Haha, that one was rep worthy... You got a cookie!

As for the silly rules, I'm getting more convinced that they will be out soon. Mainly because the new stuff (the warscrolls we just got) are just there to help people along with their old collections. Quite a few models will be phased out.

I'm beginning to think it was GW's most brilliant move ever to just "bully" away the neckbeards who took it all too seriously and only play everything hypercompetitively. :grin:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts