Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I discussed this with my gamer group, so it thought I would bring it up here as well.

The question is simple; What soundtrack does your army have?

Be it thematic purposes, the lyrics, the music or a combination of all of them, I think we have all tried to hear a song and think that it would fit perfectly with our army as a part of the music video. That one song that encapsulates what you think of your army, and where you can imagine it playing when your army is either lining up to defend their territory or it playing when they charge into combat.

I will start off with my Crimson Slaughter.
Their song is "512" with Lamb of God :

(Lyrics can be found here)

This songs perfectly encapsulates the theme of my army. The mood is dark and melancholic, and the theme is about changing into someone you can barely recognize. Some of the lyrically passages such as the chorus, is just spot on:

My hands are painted red
My future's painted black
I can't recognize myself, I've become someone else
My hands are painted red.

Considering that the Crimson Slaughter fell to Chaos gradually to silence the voices of their victims in their heads, and at some point couldn't recognize themselves or the deeds they'd done, the mood and overall feeling of the song just hit me straight up as the soundtrack of my army. I can just imagine the army charging frenzied into battle, when the main riff starts playing at 00:40, tearing and ripping the enemy apart.

Plus Lamb of God rocks.

So let's hear it Heretics; Which song defines your army?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I like this idea. I am rebuilding my ork army after not having an army for many years and not playing for a while it is always good to have music to inspire me to build them.

My ork army : Da Bloo Boyz
There sone "Skullcrusher" from Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmX5LFWcg8s

I think this song works for me and them because I haven't played for a while that I am probably not going to be winning much in the beginning but I plan on giving my opponents a fight till the end.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Alpha Legion- probably something alienating and haunting, something from the 2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack perhaps. Might not be fitting for going into battle but I imagine their defining works to happens outside of battle

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
My fantasy chaos army was always characterized by the music of Conan The Barbarian especially The Anvil of Crom and The Riders of Doom.

I'm not sure what really fit my 40k chaos army. Maybe something from Carcass perhaps Embodiment. I'm sure there are tons of other appropriate metal songs for Chaos.

And while this might make me a heretic of the heretics, the warhammer albums by bolt thrower are pretty bad. And by "bad" I mean boring and one dimensional even by grindcore standards.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
for my guard, The Trooper, by Iron Maiden cos they keep running at the enemy's guns, commisars make sure of that. For the various marine armies Im working on somthin gothic, orchestrial and operatic like DoW theme or O Fortuna lol, hardly original I know.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Next up, my Khorne Daemonkin army.

For them I choose one of the tracks from the new Mad Max: Fury Road movie: Brothers in Arms

The reason I chose this, is that I like the journey of the song. It starts out grim and bombastic, where you can sense the brutality and grittiness of the battlefield. The army coming riding out of the red mist that spawned it, arms raised and cries to the Blood god being yelled atop the mountains.

In the middle of the song it becomes more melodic, and melancholic. It has a undertone of hope, but also of knowing that there is no way back - That this is what is left and a sliver of memory of happier times. I see this as a piece in the music, where the camera turns towards those being charged - Like seeing the battle from both fronts. The deep bass tones in the background are the Daemonkin pounding the enemy again and again, killing their resolve piece by piece, until the music returns to their side again.

It returns to the bombastic and then at the end, ends the song in the melodic piece again. Like a battle going back and forth between the armies - The peaceful ending resembles the enemy army realizing that they have fought bravely... But that they will not be coming home this time.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
... For the various marine armies Im working on somthin gothic, orchestrial and operatic like DoW theme or O Fortuna lol, hardly original I know.
Take a listen to a group called "Two Steps From Hell" they make albums of trailer music. Essentially epic sounding orchestral music. Try Archangel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For my Black Legion I always hear Twisted Transistor by Korn it just runs in my head. When I began my Blood Angels army You don't know how it feels (to be me) by Tom Petty was playing on m y Pandora station when I began working on them

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Aww warp-testes, @Nordicus stole my song. Well... it was in my sig first!

(don't worry Nord, I'm mostly just happy to have turned you on to it!)

I'll shoot for some Death Grips for my heretical CSM instead, with "Beware."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxa91EwFco

Money verse:

"Worship is not on bended knee
Nature knows not of mercy
To pray is to accept defeat
Power pisses on the weak"

I don't like much Death Grips stuff and don't listen to them much, but... when they hit home, they hit hard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts