Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on piecing together my IG army and making it look unique. I want to make my tanks and battlefields to look great as well so I decided to use some of other models from other ranges. What scale should I use, I've heard that WH40K is 1:35 scale but I've also heard that it is 1:72 scale. Any expert opinions?

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
I believe the official wording is 28mm Heroic scale, but I'm not sure what ratio that equates to.

I've built a lot of historical armor kits in my day, and I can tell you from experience that 40K is closer to 1:35 than anything else, but it still isn't an exact match, I don't think.

That being said, I've gotten a lot of use out of some of Tamiya's Allied Vehicle Accessory Kits to add gear and such to my old I.G. army, by way of tarps and such, and the jerrycans are perfect.

Hope that's helped.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
"Allegedly" 1 inch = 6 foot (ie 72 inches)... bear in mind that marines are about 7'6" and your average Ork is about 9 feet tall (or would be if he didn't have terrible posture)...

So "officially" it's 1:72. But I figure Tor is closer with 1:45, I tend to use 1:50 (1cm=.5 metres) as a rough guide for scale for buildings, and 1:78 (1"=2 metres) as a rough guide for distance, range etc when converting to and from other systems or whatever...

TauF is right about Tamiya 1:35 stuff - it doesn't look ridiculously out of place, because so much in 40k is oversized anyway. An oversized ammo box for a 9 foot tall figure in 1:72nd is about the same size as a normally-proportioned ammo box for an anatomically-correct 5'10" 1:35 figure (BTW, no my converted Big Shoota Boyz don't have WWII British Infantry backpacks, how can you even suggest such a thing!?)... ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
1:64 is perfect.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
between 1:48 and 1:35, 1:75 is a mad number for anyone to claim, 1:72 is beyond too small
I didn't say 1:72 made sense, Stella, that's what "allegedly" and "officially" were supposed to convey. Apart from anything else, that means a missile launcher has a range of about 25 yards.

Of course, at 1:35 scale, it's only 12 yards. That's why I use 2 (or even 3) scales - one for terrain (generally 1:50), one for objects (1:35 is pretty good), one for distance(1:78 still makes weapons ridiculously underpowered, but anything greater becomes too weird).

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I didn't say 1:72 made sense, Stella, that's what "allegedly" and "officially" were supposed to convey. Apart from anything else, that means a missile launcher has a range of about 25 yards.
trust me it wasn't aimed at any one person, I just know allot of people say it thats all, and whenever I put a 1:72 tank next to a marine, the marine is obviously nowhere near to scale with it

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
trust me it wasn't aimed at any one person, I just know allot of people say it thats all, and whenever I put a 1:72 tank next to a marine, the marine is obviously nowhere near to scale with it
Sorry, assumed it was aimed at me.

And you're absolutely right about 1:72nd scale stuff. I mean, a Space Marine next to... I dunno, a Hornby train set (HO/OO scale is supposed to be 1:72 I believe)? It's ridiculous.

But my maths is wrong too. At 1:72, a missile launcher of course has a range of 96 yards. A 1:35, it's 47 yards (ish).

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
My brother-in-law collects Hornby (and you thought 40k was expensive).

!/48 stuff is usually closest to 40k scale for vehicles (aircraft and many military vehicles) - which is also closer to 'O' gauge rail.

1/35 can also be used - as noted, many 1/35 accessories work well with 40k. The weapons are way too small (because 40k uses ridiculously over-sized guns.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts