Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically, what is the reason why you like 40k or fantasy?
I'm I'm not talking just 'I'm a painter/gamer/reader'
I want it know details

Such as...
I love watching the tears well up in that other dudes eyes as I wipe his army off of the board!
Or I love the beer my mates give me
Or I live imagining the blood thirsty fury of melee combat as my assault squad rips apart the squishes and drinks their blood!(me, I'm a future homicidal maniac I cam tell)
Or I just need something to occupy my time
Or screw money!
Or I love satifaction of looking back at my little figures and saying 'look at that crisp paint job!'
I hope I've got the message of what I'm asking for
But basically I want to know what you guys like down to the details, not the stereo typical categories that we normally use

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Well, I'm not a crazy spender. I find that the most compelling part of the hobby in some ways is imagining a new project. Planning out a new project the pieces, the contains, or the sculpting can be really exciting.

How cool will it look?
How will it function on the battlefield? Etc.

And of course interacting and gaming with friends and showing off a new project.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
- Addiction, plain and simple.
- Desire to see a massed force, because it's damn well inspiring
- The fact that playing 40k is the most sociable, stimulating and engaging activity I've yet discovered. It has all the good bits of social interaction with none of the crap. You're there for a purpose, and you can engage in conversation about it and then branch out from there. No small talk, no pandering to how other people see you.
- I enjoy painting stuff, because it's productive and passes inordinate amounts of life.
- Having a pastime in which I create things, and they're mine, and nobody else has anything quite the same as well as being my own player with my own style and skills is extremely attractive (which is why I don't play Warmachine at all, and barely look at my Fantasy stuff).

Midnight

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
No DRM
No need to concern myself with not having high enough APM

and having hundreds of units on the board has no lag.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Certain models or ideas tends to inspire me to gather and work on building an awesome looking (Hopefully!) force which I can use to wipe out the forces of my friends!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Planning and Building to a certain goal, usually supported by my want to play the game.

I spend some decent money over the past year buying up the bits to finish my 5th company Marines and to round out my Harlequins. Once I get some more hobby money together I will be buying the bits and bobs to round out my Empire WFB army as well.

Once those three projects are "finished" I have already started some plans for a handful of custom allied forces for 40k...(and if the rumored Wood Elf book is decent I want to take another stab at collecting that army as well)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
My imagination, honestly I barely ever complete something but my imagination runs rampant so much that I do end up buying stuff with the intention of following through with it, most of the time it runs into a brick wall but sometimes I do follow through with my ideas, it's just very rare. lol I don't mind spending the money though if I have it, I guess it's the only outfit of creativity I really have.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'm not as crazy a spender as I was, but a cool new model will make me throw a few bucks at GW(I'm looking at you Dark Elf assassin). I love buying models that I think I can do a decent job of painting, and will look good in my army.

While my gaming and collecting has mainly moved to other systems I still buy and paint up GW models. I'm currently working on a small Tau army that may take quite a while to collect and paint, but the satisfaction of completing a unit keeps me going. While I have systems that I prefer to play nowadays, GW will always be my first love when it comes to miniatures.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
For me it used to be all but your first one.

But... those days are behind me now and I take the hobby much slower. One kit every month or two and I work on them once or twice a week for a short while. Then I attend (and help run) a gaming club twice a month...

Yea, the crazy must have phase of the hobby is over for me. Had to be or else I'd be selling my meds for plastic space monsters...

·
Registered
733 Posts
When I get an idea for something cool to build, I usually spare no expense in making it happen. For example, most of my bigger ork tanks are made out of several imperial ones, and all those tanks add up quickly! I try to use eBay when possible to save a few dollars, but it still costs a lot.

My most recent project was an Armorcast Reaver Titan. Yeah, that cost an arm and a leg...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I honestly enjoyed the people I played with, I'd get into dare fights with the Daemonhunters player(ie daring him to tank shock my necron lord to see if he could go toe to toe with the Land Raider, then getting into a one on one fight with his leader before I got phased out.), trying to outsmart our CSM player's demons(ie fighting his big daemon princes with something bigger and nastier, the Nightbringer or Deceiver), watching the strange antics of our orc player(He had an old TMNT pizza launcher toy being converted into a BW), or seeing the two worst dice throwers in our store go toe to toe in gripping games.

They would encourage me to keep my army painted and up to date through new stuff, so every sunday the smack down could begin again. Eventually we lost two of them(DH&CSM), and it got less fun I suppose, til eventually I had to stop cause I kinda ran out of money to just show up each sunday to play. And then our gaming group died after that, me and my room mate were apparently two of the constants that showed up to make everything happen.

Now I play part time with my roommate who can't roll to save his life if he's not playing chaos of some flavor, and I paint on when it fancies me, and I suspect if our flgs wasn't a hour away I'd be a lot more into the hobby than I am now.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
The thing that gets me is sometimes I arrive at an idea for a conversion that I want to do, the components of which are hideously expensive. My first warhound needed two tau hammerhead upgrade sprues, a defiler and a landspeeder. So there was more than $150 aus just for the main bits I needed. Then there was an imperial leviathan, three sets of baneblade sponsons and the basic tank, that one cost nearly 300 just to start.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
For my Night Lords I want them to fit with a certain theme, which makes me more willing to spend more money. Also fielding larger forces appeals to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts