Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first?
Me first my dad and the website and I got a Catachan starter army box set
now you

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Many moons ago before WHF or 40k existed I played role playing games. When Fantasy came out we started to play that as well (although I dont remember if anybody ever got a full army). 40k Rogue trader came out and it was awesome .... so I got that and have been playing ever since.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
wow what was rogue trader
Anybody else get the feeling this guy is new to the hobby?

Rogue Trader was the early precursor to 40k as we know it today.

I actually started just as 4th ed came out, collecting tyranids for their alien appeal.

I`ve since collected necrons, eldar, orks, CSM, IG, SM, briefly dabbled with the Inquisition and am contemplating daemons...

It seems so long ago, but it wasn`t now that I think about it... :)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
To be fair, Rogue Trader is pretty old (23 years to be exact), so its not unreasonable that you have never heard of it. People look back at it with misty eyes, but it was easily surpassed by 2nd edition just for the speed of game play (and 2nd edition took a long time to play as well).

See more here >> linky link <<

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Its best to think of Rogue Trader as 40K 1st edition. At least thats the simplest way of putting it.

I started waaayyyy back in 2nd ed. Can't really remember what got me started on it now as I didn't have any friends who played it.
Typically like alot of new players, my first purchase was the boxed starter set... but I did get the Blood Angels codex too so I didn't paint my guys like the Ultrasmurfs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There were a few guys at school back in 2nd Ed who played a bit and had small armies. They used to talk about it quite a lot and showed my White Dwarf and their models and I just thought it looked really cool. So off I popped to GW and bought eight of the old metal Chaos Marine renegades, and started from there. There were no box sets (apart from the 2nd ed box) and barely any codices at the time, so it was always just grabbing a few blister packs. Good times :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
im still a relatively noob compared to some of u old timers(gaming wise lol), i started just before 5th came out.
what got me into it was actually playing dawn of war mainly, i decide to take alook at my local store at the time, went there a few times then bought my first every kit, the csm attack squad (want to see what it was like before buying anything more fancy)

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I started with the 40k universe with epic scale space marine in the late 80's. Played a bit of space crusade and stuff. Gave it up when i went to uni but never really forgot about it. Then DOW brought me back.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I started back in 2nd edition. A friend of mine got me into it. My first purchase was the Angels of Death Codex (BA and DA combined). Followed by Mephiston some 13ish years ago, and they're still using the same model I might add.

Since then my BA have swelled to 18000ish pts and I've added Necrons, IG, Tyranids, Tau, Eldar, and am anxiously awaiting the new C:GK. As I have Stern, and a few TAGK's floating around. Damn end of the year sales at the FLGS. 50-60% off is hard to resist even if I don't presently play the army.

·
4,491 Posts
Started playing Space Crusade, which shortly after i started learning the rules for 2nd ed 40k.

The release of 3rd ed. Before 3rd ed i had only about 50 models. As soon as it was released i bought myself about 2500 points worth of Space Marines which i painted as Black Templars. Only reason i chose the Templars was because they were easy to paint lol.

The release of Codex Armageddon, the rules-boost that put a big smile on my face! :)

The release of CSM 3.5 (quite possibly the BEST codex EVER written). It was an automatic switch to the dark side. They offered so much customization that it made every game interesting and fun. Ended up settling with Alpha Legion towards the end of 3rd ed and early 4th ed.

Got myself the 3rd ed Tyranid codex, and a heap of termagants and genestealers, as well as a few other random models. Probably only 1000-1200 points worth all up. Played a few games with them but nothing major.

After the release of 4th ed in 2004 i played a bit of it but went out of the 40k scene somewhere around 2005. Tried to keep an eye on certain happenings (releases of codices etc) but never played.

2005-2008
Didnt play 40k. Played a variety of other games and had other hobbies.

Came back into the game, and realized that Nids and CSM had new codices. The Nid one came out pretty much when i stopped playing, and i didnt even realize.
Pretty much from 2008 on, i started using mathhammer a lot and put a lot of effort into playtesting certain tactics and lists. Between 2008-2009 i evolved a lot as a player, and became somewhat "Cheesy".

Today
Templars are long retired. Nids are now retired as the new codex killed my playstyle (pity as i bought 3 Trygons :( ). CSM are semi-retired as i used way too much cheese. Now playing Orks since the release of AoBR, and starting to consider IG if i can sell off all my SM/CSM and Nids.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I started when i was in year seven making me approximately 11years old, second ed had been around for about a year and one of my friends played blood angels. I soon discovered that one of the boys in the years above me was selling a load of second hand models including blood angels and eldar so i convinced my younger brother to get the eldar and i got marines. I had no rulebook but we did have both codecies so for the first few years we made it up as we went along. Trying to decipher the numbers in the books.
When i finally got wh40k boxed set for christmas it was a long wait, the year before my parents had mistakenly bought me warhammer quest.
Whilst i learned to use my blood angels (and their massive amount of allies including an avatar, 2 units of eldar scouts, a unit of ratling snipers, some squat thudguns and a demolisher) i had already been tainted, i was secretly painting the beautiful chaos termies that had been released.
When third edition rolled around i was playing gorkamorka and didn't give the main game much thought untill codex armageddon was released and my mob was expanded into a full on ork army.
My blood angels were corrupted by the chaos termies which ocupied the shelf next to them and the 30 death company models are members of my chaos army to this day.
I played with a 3000pt ork speed freak army for tournaments whilst the chaos lads were built to the story of my lord and now have a target size of 30,000pts when i get the funds.
When the 4th ed rulebook was released i had no place to set up my army and becomeing disheartened by the amount of repairs i was needing to do they stayed boxed up. Only 3 weeks ago have i finally come back to the hobby and i've already started rebuilding my oldboys to the current codecies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts