Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys ever had any problems with the names of the Legions when you joined.

I've always had a problem with one name. At times I've been able to ignore it, but the image of it seems to sink into my head. Space Wolves... Space... Wolves... Really? Whenever I think of Space Wolves I always wonder why they were named like that. What I mean is, is it really necessary to put "Space" right before Wolves? I'm sorry but every time I use the legion's name "Space Wolves," I tend to think of a wolf inside an astronuat suit floating around space shooting aliens with lazer guns. This is of course not that case. Because of the Luna Wolves they are kind of forced to have something before "Wolves" but "space?" There must be a cooler word or name to put before Wolves. Maybe Wolves of Fenris, or etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think the legion (now chapter) is one of the most interesting and indeed one of my favorite. Just think it needs a name that it deserves.

You guys have problems with any other of the names?

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you try and explain the concept of space marines to a friend the name 'ultramarines' just sounds stupid. But also, i have some random gripe with space sharks for the same reason you are not keen on space wolves.

You have all these cool mock latin style names like adeptus astartes and ordos xenos and all this cool stuff and then some of the space marine legion/chapter names are a bit silly. Even most of the imperial guard regiments have names that fit more comfortably with the universe than some chapter/legion names.

That being said it's strange how quickly the names enter my vocab without be thinking of what the actual words mean (ultra-marines - wtf?).

·
Well That Was Unexpected
1,646 Posts
Ultramarines - Hate them and their name. Boring and generic although well painted they can look good.

Iron Hands - Rubbish name, rubbish fluff, just plain bad.

White Scars - Great Fluff, to match an above average name

Salamanders - At first I didn't like it, but it kind of grows on you once you know more about them. Plus it just gets better with use I think.

Emperors Children - People might disagree and think its a little silly, but I have a major soft spot for this legion and so the name is great in my book.

Word Bearers - Great Post-Heresy, kind of bad pre-heresy, they were supposed to be eliminating religion. (BTW Can't wait for first heretic by A D-B because how awesome is it to go around not believing in any Gods.....all the while they believe in you.....cue scary music, thats copyrighted now ) :)

Death Guard - Awesome fluff, awesome name, get your finger out GW and get us Mortarians home planet story in a full HH novel by itself.

Space Wolves - Hate the chapter and everything they stand for but they nabbed a good name here.

Night Lords - Everything about them is cool, I like the batwings, batman primarch is awesome, terror is awesome, and Nostromo is the ship from Alien, how cool are these guys. VERY :eek:k:

Thousand Sons - Bad name and not great fluff justification for it in the novel by the same name. Although it was otherwise a great book.

Iron Warriors - Pretty good, but I want to know more about these guys, they feel really one-dimensional

Blood Angels - Great name, great codex, fluff, colours, and their primarch is just the bees knees for everyone. Still got his ass handed to him by Horus though, although I bet they re-interpret that event as the most epic moment of triumph even though he failed.

Imperial Fists - I actually really like the name and fluff for these guys, although Dorn is beginning to come off a bit like a Tw..t in the recent book Nemesis

Raven Guard - Love the poem if thats what they are based on, other than that i'm not sold.

Dark Angels - I really liked both books about them (especially the first one, (yeah I said it) and I really like the name and their fluff/colours

World Eaters - When they give use fluff on these guys so everyone stops thinking they attack Land Raiders with their bare hands they will be good. Great name.

Alpha Legion - Ok name, but pretty amazing fluff, even if it won't ever be realised on the tabletop properly. Although they should be more chaos, not just misguided xeno puppets.

Sons of Horus - Amazing name because I think Horus is the best (why does no-one talk about how he wanted to free Fulgrim, what a guy....what a guy indeed) he is just amazing. As they say (or maybe I do I can't rememeber) the devil always gets the best lines

Black Legion - Ok once they fix the fluff so they aren't a bunch of failures. I understand the whole disgrace thing and black is a slimming colour after all :)

Those are my thoughts, enjoy.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree on you, but like Vali I like the SW fluff.

When I just started I hated the salamanders, but the fire scheme you can put on them is pretty awesome and their fluff is getting better.

Iron Hands.... uhhh... I tried to keep an open mind about them but they are probably the least human of all the space marine chapters in which I don't think I can comprehend. They also are really boring in every aspect of the word.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The only Legion name I have an issue with is the Space Wolves... its just... lame.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
What would you call them though? Just "The Wolves"?

·
4,491 Posts
Blood Angels

Angels are fairly epic.
Blood is cool. Everybody loves the word blood.

But Blood Angels??????

Way too Vampiric for my liking.

Vampires were cool back in the early 1900's, but today they are lame.

Even more so now with the introduction of the Twilight series.
Makes Blood Angels look like a bunch of [sparkly vampires]

Everybody i know that doesnt play that reads them just thinks "Oh noes, more vampire references. Is their leaders name Edward?"

Seriously, i can see a bunch of Blood Angels flying around the battlefield with their wings screaming "I vont to suck your blood.... [and stuff.]

[Edits by Horus.]

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Blood Angels are actually(suprisingly enough) one of my favourite chapter/legion names, the name alone is what got me looking into them when i first started playing. I didn't see the vampire link then, still don't know really. Its just a generally cool sounding name imo

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
What would you call them though? Just "The Wolves"?
I don't know, but I would have thought they could have been more imaginative.

In fact I dislike the term 'Space Marines' in general as well, thats why you'll always see me referring to them as Astartes.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Haha i agree, every time a 40k trailer for something comes about and the narrator says in some awe inspired voice "The Space Marines!" makes me laugh a little, just sounds so uninspiring. Adeptus Astartes on the other hand sound bad ass

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Emporer's Children. Why would a CHAOS LEGION BE CALLED EMPORER'S CHILDREN!!??

Flesh Tearers for... Space Marines?

Blood Angels aren't Chaos?:)

I found a bunch on a joke thread somewhere.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts