Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/26/justice/oregon-teen-bomb-plot/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Just read the article and tell me whats wrong with this picture here folks :(

More and more I see these sick kids who want to kill there fellow students, and set violent records. I mean where on earth do these children come from, what parents produce such offspring? What happened when normal kids had fun, grew up, and just realized it was life? Now they seek to use "napalm, pipe and drain cleaner bombs, as well as Molotov cocktails," to kill innocents over RECORDS!!!??? :ireful2:

Ahem, anyway, thoughts and comments?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not to turn this into a 'this only happens in the USA' sort of thing, cause that's not true, but it never happens in the Netherlands.

Sure, messed up things happen here as well (Last year a girl hired a classmate (€5) to kill another girl in her class over a Facebook comment)

But never stuff on this scale.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
The media fame is a tempting thing to kids with issues, it is a way to be noticed.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Some people are just fucked up. Blaming all of ones actions on some external is BS. Sure they gave a factor but YOU choose to do these things.

I play violent video games, watch violent movies, read graphically detailed books and play a table miniature game that revolves around mass genocide (probably the wrong word for it) - I turned out ok(ish).

My younger brother however does none of the above and is in and out of prison. Our home although not perfect is a very loving place.

We live in an age of digital communication, these things seem like a "norm" now but have always been around. Someone could sneeze in the USA, report it on there social network and I would know about it in the UK within the minute. However, we know about these countries having internal conflicts but here fuck all from them, because their communications are so heavily tied down.

Umm so... What I mean to say is... Some people are just fucked up.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I play violent video games, watch violent movies, read graphically detailed books and play a table miniature game that revolves around mass genocide (probably the wrong word for it) - I turned out ok(ish).
See I concur with you on this one effigy, as I'm sure many here would. I'm not targeting all kids, though my apologies if my earlier statement gave that impression.

What I'm angry at is seeing kids who think this is cool. I understand there will be sick fucks in all societies and cultures round the globe. But I grew up in an era where they were rarer than uranium. Now they seem to be cropping up in ever increasing numbers, and in good neighborhoods too. I guess I'm asking why? Why do modern kids do this, what makes them tick into thinking this is cool?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

Umm so... What I mean to say is... Some people are just fucked up.

Can you please be a lobbyist? :p

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Not to turn this into a 'this only happens in the USA' sort of thing, cause that's not true, but it never happens in the Netherlands.

Sure, messed up things happen here as well (Last year a girl hired a classmate (€5) to kill another girl in her class over a Facebook comment)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13024785
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...t-police-arrest-suspect-leiden_n_3130935.html

I really want to be condensing right now.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That second article articulates my point perfectly. How can kids that young plot and carry out murders over stupid shit like that. I mean what happened to the days when kids were better than that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That second article articulates my point perfectly. How can kids that young plot and carry out murders over stupid shit like that. I mean what happened to the days when kids were better than that.
I don't remember where I read it but someone stated that all teenagers and kids go through a phase where they plot to kill someone.

I guess what alfred said is true. some people just want to watch the world burn.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I suspect there may be certain level of systems feedback happening here. Where there is marginalized child who wants to lash out. In an earlier era they might have just gotten in a fight. However the dissemination of knowledge makes things like the history of columbine and the recipes for explosives closer at hand.

The media influence and additional information don't make the child violent it offers new options. Nobody tries to 'top' a homicidal spree they never knew about. It is a lot harder to create bombs all on your own or with a chemistry text book, than it is to look them up on the internet.

Human access to information has never guaranteed responsible use of that information. There will always be somebody willing to misuse any and all information.

·
Registered
174 Posts
See I concur with you on this one effigy, as I'm sure many here would. I'm not targeting all kids, though my apologies if my earlier statement gave that impression.

What I'm angry at is seeing kids who think this is cool. I understand there will be sick fucks in all societies and cultures round the globe. But I grew up in an era where they were rarer than uranium. Now they seem to be cropping up in ever increasing numbers, and in good neighborhoods too. I guess I'm asking why? Why do modern kids do this, what makes them tick into thinking this is cool?
I am actually still in highschool(Though I am about to graduate :D)
I think I may be able add to this simply because overall I have had a very negative experience with highschool, and I can honestly kinda see where some of these kids are coming from.

I do think that some part has to do with the fame that comes with it. People are more often remembered for the evil they did, as opposed to the good.

Though in some cases I don't think the kids/ young adults should just be written of as "Fucked up" or "sick" or what have you.

I really dislike a lot of the kids in my highschool, and I don't think that the world would suffer with the lost of a handful, I guess where I differ is that it is not my decision to make who lives and who dies.
I don't think every kid is doing it to be cool, I personally think that they are doing it for either revenge or to prove a point.
That point being, at least to me, that our educational and societal system here in the U.S. DOES NOT WORK.
Though exactly why I think it doesn't work is a debate for another place, I don't think you should group all kids into the selfish dickheads that do it to be famous for a week or two.

Some people are really just fucking crazy, like the guys from Columbine, but some people have a bigger reason than attention.

Just thought that some input from someone in the age group in question would help lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Lack of punishment maybe?

When I fucked up as a kid, I got a smack on the ass from one of my parents. I soon learned not to fuck up.

If/when I ever have kids, I will raise them the same way. If they play up, act our or generally think they're gonna behave like a little shit, I will punish them accordingly. I'll smack their ass if I have to and if someone thinks they can tell me not to I'm happy to hit them too. :laugh:

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
why? neither of those story's are that relevant to the original , the first one was a gun club member who was 24 years old

and the second wasnt even a confirmed plot, it was a online threat, possibly a hoax or even a sick joke.
the original post link was about a genuine actual threat with explosives and a plan, Bane was pointing out that anything of this nature in the Netherlands is extremely rare,where as the world now expects it from the US on a fairly regular basis.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts

sorry mate it does happen over here, say it very rarely it still does.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I think this may be a route cause of part of the problem. No-one fears the consequences of their actions anymore and so don't give a fuck what they do.
Plus, it seems that in the world today, parents don't want to be seen as "abusive" for punishing their child if they did something wrong. That seems to be common nowadays, is that parents will be seen as abusive for even slightly disciplining their child.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
why? neither of those story's are that relevant to the original , the first one was a gun club member who was 24 years old

and the second wasnt even a confirmed plot, it was a online threat, possibly a hoax or even a sick joke.
the original post link was about a genuine actual threat with explosives and a plan, Bane was pointing out that anything of this nature in the Netherlands is extremely rare,where as the world now expects it from the US on a fairly regular basis.
They are both stories from the netherlands.

That's all that matters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts