Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Heretics!

I have resently given this alot of time how you may describe that which the Eldar call the Skien. Now I wrote a small, let us say essay, on the matter and I tried to write it from an Eldar point of view. This Eldar author is a seer her self and tries to explain the skien to non-seer Eldars. Please tell me what you think of it.

The Incomprehensible: an introduction to the skien.

The skien is not for the seers alone. Though it is for the seers alone to delve deep into it’s secrets, to read it and ultimately, control it. To walk the path of the seer is not only the choice of death and the terror that brings. It is to walk with the terror of what we can become. All our fears, secrets and innermost wishes, everything that we strive to keep unseen from anyone lies bloated around us. Nothing can be hidden and nothing may remain unseen in the skien. And the truth we must bear and the shame must be laid to rest if we are to walk into it. Cause She Who Thirst is everpresents and on the skien we are but amber beacons for Her to see.

When my tutor let me connect with the skien by myself I let my mind fly far and wide and I saw the large swath of the skien in one. Like a cross section I saw the entirety of our craftworld, and I knew I had seen it before.

Before I choose to become a seer I went to the Pools of Lost Futures, deep within the Dome of Scilent Forests. There I lay down on one of the smooth, polished rocks out in the water and looked up into the marble ceiling. There the light from the dim stars above reflected the water and it danced. But it did not dance the calm ways of the water in the pools, almost undisturbed for cycles at ends but it’s reflection was that of chaos. Swift movement of brighter areas that dimmed while others grew large. Strains between them that fickled and died, bent and curved in a way that was impossible to forsee. There and then, of all the path that laid ahead, suddenly, only the path of the seer remained. All other futures was lost to me.

Much like the reflection I saw at the Pools of Lost Future, so is the skien a reflection of the materium. When we look upon the residens of our Craftworld as they go by their buisness along the Gallery of Meliorative Exploit or look upon the pleased confrontations at the Bridge of Closed Distance. We see only the gait, the touch, goods that change hands and the silent nod. But underneath it all, there is every thought an Eldar may think within that blink of an eye. Thousands of possible futures that battle for supremacy before only one remains.

The same happens in the skien. When moving futher from our Craftworld the rune of Altansar flies around a thick and thriving bundle of energy. Once you close in, this bundle become loose and you begin to see fibres that builds the bundle. These fibres are the Craftworlds seperate domes, shrines, influential families and starships that docks it. Closer still, even these fibres break into strands that is each moving part of the whole. Individuals, machines, even moving part within. Looking at it from this perspective, you may feel faint over the vastness of our Craftworld, millions part that do their duty for the whole but still it is nothing. Because closer still you’ll find the threads. Hundreds of them builds each component, splitting and merging and dying out as the cycles go on. To hold on to one and follow it into the future and then look around, you might not recognise where you are. Cause every thread is a possible future hundreds times thousands. In this maze of destiny, the Farseers tries to find the thread that keeps Altansar alive. To stear her away from danger and into safer havens of the future.

~Iriana the Warlock

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Well once long ago I looked that word up, and was listed as "as thread of string with no desirable beginning or end" (Just looked it up again and no sign of it). But with this interpretation it is used to interpret the passing of time and potentially uncomprehending nature presented in the "path" series. Bit of an interesting idea but it also seems an different interpretation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts