Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this site and i was just wondering what the scale ratio is of the IG tanks. I know the game is roughly 25mm, but I need to know the ratio in order to find tank parts from model kits to make a one-of-a-kind Armour'd Division.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. thats what i thought.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I heard somewhere they were 1:34 scale or 1:35 scale. I always kind of hoped they were 1:72 so Guard tanks would be huge.

-Dirge

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Officially the scale is around 1:72 (ie 1 inch = 6 foot); 1:72 doesn't equate to 15mil, Tiberius, that would make figures 3'6" tall (OK for ratlings I guess); in practice, because SMs are about 7' and Orks are 8-9' tall, and because all Warhammer (FB and 40k) stuff is so chunky, you can easily get away with 1:35 stuff (go Tamiya!), especially for vehicles.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
for guard I say 1/48 for marines 1/35, otherwise things get too big and look beyond stupid
and 1/72?, no way, thats tiny, guardsmen are taller than my 1/72 Jadgpather, heck taller than my 1/72 ChallengerII model WITH base

·
Registered
182 Posts
Officially the scale is around 1:72 (ie 1 inch = 6 foot); 1:72 doesn't equate to 15mil, Tiberius, that would make figures 3'6" tall (OK for ratlings I guess); in practice, because SMs are about 7' and Orks are 8-9' tall, and because all Warhammer (FB and 40k) stuff is so chunky, you can easily get away with 1:35 stuff (go Tamiya!), especially for vehicles.

Actually Red the true scale of the new Baneblade is 1:61. You heated my blood so I did some calculations. At any rate this would make a real one about the size of my house. When is the last time you seen a tank as big as a standard house? I suggest you visit a model shop to see a 1:72 scale kit, and compare it to any GW vehicle.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Actually Red the true scale of the new Baneblade is 1:61. You heated my blood so I did some calculations. At any rate this would make a real one about the size of my house. When is the last time you seen a tank as big as a standard house? I suggest you visit a model shop to see a 1:72 scale kit, and compare it to any GW vehicle.
Don't get so worked up.

1 - a Baneblade is, firstly, not real, and secondly, supposed to be massive - it's about twice the size of a Leman Russ, so yeah it's about the size of a house. I don't know how big your house is, of course, but a general sized not too massive house.

2 - 15mill is still not 1:72 or 1:61. The ratio means you multiply the one measurement by the other. If '1'=15mil as you claimed, '72' would be 15x72mil, or 1080mm, or 1.08m, or 3'6" approx. As '15mil' is called 15mil because that's the height of a human figure, it follows that humans are 3'6" tall. "When is the last time you seen a human as big as a standard hobbit?" (I paraphrase.)

3 - I've been visiting model shops for many many years now, and I know the difference between 1:72, 1:48, 1:35, 1:32, HO/OO, 15mil, 25mil and GW's bastard 'Heroic 28mm' scales. Changes nowt. GW models are not 'realistic representations'. Most GW figures are 'very tall' and preposterously bulky. SMs are 7'+, Orks are 8'+. If you take that as a base, you end up with ridiculous comparisons. At 1:72, a 6' human is 1" - that's what 1:72 means] (1 inch x 72 = 72 inches = 6 feet). So GW figures have to be taller. So everything else has to be bigger to continue to look proportional - otherwise guns would look like matchsticks. But that doesn't alter the fact that 1" is still 6' - it just means that a heavy bolter backpack is nearly the size of a small car and a Baneblade is the size of a standard house.

In practical terms, the height and bulk of WH models (for bulk, compare them to the LotR models, much more 'true' to scale) mean that 1:35 scale kit from eg Tamiya looks about right. But that doesn't mean that WH actually 'is' 1:35 or any other scale. It 'is' 1:72, because 6 feet in the game is still equal to 1 inch on the table, 1/72 of the original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts