Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't get them as they cost more money to make and has kept me away from making some armys due to money issues. Is it for the oooooh shiny effect or just that it feels heavyier in my hand. Also from a painters perspective I heard it sucks painting blisters along with keeping the glue sticking, so why do we have them.

I'm sorry if this is considered trolling.

·
4,491 Posts
Yet some at half as expensive as boxed sets.
Materials cost more.

Plastic is cheaper but the plastic molds are more expensive.

Large setup cost + cheaper production costs = Better for good selling stuff.
Small setup cost + expensive production costs = Better for lower selling stuff.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also from a painters perspective I heard it sucks painting blisters along with keeping the glue sticking, so why do we have them.
I agree with you on the glueing bit. But wouldn't say they are annoying to paint, if anything they are more detailed. Which is always a good thing

Skar

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I love them, there is no wrong in them, and glue problems? Get some new glue man, I have had my trusty GW glue for two years now, and it is still keeping them together without problem! And they are far more interesting to paint, so I am almost only getting blisters right now, cause they are far funnier...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Materials cost more.

Plastic is cheaper but the plastic molds are more expensive.

Large setup cost + cheaper production costs = Better for good selling stuff.
Small setup cost + expensive production costs = Better for lower selling stuff.
So why the fuck are Necron Immortals metal yet Destroyers are plastic? I've bought nearly twice as many Immortals for something like four times the cost!

I can understand character models being expensive pewter minis but rank-and-file units are just shameless money-grubbing, Matchbox get by selling diecast cars for tuppence, and don't tell me they shift more units because each individual car requires a new mould!

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
So why the fuck are Necron Immortals metal yet Destroyers are plastic? I've bought nearly twice as many Immortals for something like four times the cost!
Back in third ed necron destroyers were much more common in armies, i almost always came across at least 2 units of these whenever i was fighting against the crons. And as the moulds would have been made way back in the pro destroyer era i would imagine that is why they are plastic rather than metal...the moulds have already been made so it's pointless not using them.

I can understand character models being expensive pewter minis but rank-and-file units are just shameless money-grubbing, Matchbox get by selling diecast cars for tuppence, and don't tell me they shift more units because each individual car requires a new mould!
There have been metal rank and file models around since the year dot. Even back in second ed you had metal guardsmen with no plastic alternatives. some of the metal rank and file will simply be older moulds that are still in use, mordians etc. In general there does seem to be a trend latelyfor producing plastic alternatives to what used to be metal rank and file. Terminators, Nobs, Deamons. I would imagine that they will slowly replace all rank and file this way.
I can't speak for matchbox though i would expect they save a lot of money on materials as their cars are only single sheet presses rather than full 3d moulds. you're average matchbox car weighs a lot less than a GW mini.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

Because Matchbox cars dont have to support a worldwide network of shops for people to play toy soldiers in.

Not sure why people cant grasp this concept, every little element of those shops is paid for by the sale of every little metal and plastic model.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Ok, let me put this in simple terms :)

These models are the units you will buy least, therefore, they use moulds that only need to be die cast (basically metal poured in). These moulds cost around £250,000 to make, yes, roughly the same price as a house (a big house at that). This single model then needs to make money back, so, they need to put a price tag of however much to make the money back. So, lets take Ahriman for instance...

Basic Cost for Ahrimans mould: £250,000
Cost of Ahriman: £12

How many Ahrimans will GW have to sell to make their money back?

Rougly 20,900 models.

But, don't forget the cost of the stores, staff, delivery fees, raw materials, printing fees etc

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

These models are the units you will buy least, therefore, they use moulds that only need to be die cast (basically metal poured in). These moulds cost around £250,000 to make, yes, roughly the same price as a house (a big house at that). This single model then needs to make money back, so, they need to put a price tag of however much to make the money back. So, lets take Ahriman for instance...

Rougly 20,900 models.

But, don't forget the cost of the stores, staff, delivery fees, raw materials, printing fees etc

well your on the right track, but GW models are not die cast, they are spin cast , which is pouring molten metal into a vulcanised rubber mold that is spinning, the centrifugal force pushes the metal into the nooks and cranies that gravity alone wont do.
And the cost of a spin mold is about £50 to £250 however the molds have a very short life span and the materials are very expensive compared to plastic.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
well your on the right track, but GW models are not die cast, they are spin cast , which is pouring molten metal into a vulcanised rubber mold that is spinning, the centrifugal force pushes the metal into the nooks and cranies that gravity alone wont do.
And the cost of a spin mold is about £50 to £250 however the molds have a very short life span and the materials are very expensive compared to plastic.
I just completly lost track...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
somethings i makes sence such as named heros like Lysander but seeking as someone who has a unit of 10 Wraithguard which cost me a total of £70 that same thing can be a pain.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Rougly 20,900 models.

Don't forget grey knights are troop choices so you need to buy them unlike ahriman

·
4,491 Posts
And yet GW probably sell more Ahriman models than Grey Knights. :laugh:

If a certain model sells bugger all, then its not worth the cost of making the plastic molds.

Simple.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That just seems like a dick move to sell Troop choices in metal. I really hope they change that when the new codex(ices) is released (whenever that is).

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I am glad with the fact that Grey Knights are metal, makes them funnier to paint, and I spend more time on them than I do on plastic...

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
That just seems like a dick move to sell Troop choices in metal. I really hope they change that when the new codex(ices) is released (whenever that is).
dude, imagine in the early days of GW when there were NO plastic models. Every single model you brought was an individual metal model. we have it better now than any war gamer in history, our forefathers would have killed for even a pinch of the choice, quality and affordability we have today.:grin:

·
Registered
825 Posts
they can only make so much in plastic at once. the current GW mission is to make sure absolutely everything is plastic except special characters / stuff you will only ever need 1 of. However, that takes time.

And yeah, the rubber moulds for metal cost sweet FA but need to be replaced... a lot. £250'000 gets you a plastic sprue mould.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts