Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
!!FailHammer!! Podcaster
486 Posts
I think the Old Ones were capable of a spot of dimension hopping so it's quite possible that it's the same Old Ones even if both systems are in seperate universes, same with chaos (being a seperate dimension again). They probably have a variation of their reptilian servents posted in most if not all of the dimensions visited.
That's how I see it (though the old fluff was that the warhammer world was cut off from everywhere else by the warp (or warp storms).

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
thought he was born in 10k BC? oh well. i do remember reading he decided to wait around for the right time to reveal himself. i know that he is older than all the chaos gods by like 4k years at least.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
the idea of the emperor trapped in the golden throne is a metaphor of the stagnation of the empire. the greatest human ever to have lived has been killed by his favourite son and the rest of humanity cannot let their 'god' die.
if you look at it this way it shows how the chaos powers have become so strong, first of all khorne because of the eternal warfare, undying loyalty to the emperor means his servants continue the war he started.
then nurgle, the stagnation of a great empire means that slowly even the most loyal will lose hope.
tzeench, the rulers of the empire scheme and plot to maintain the status quo while others strive for change
and finally slaanesh, in a universe so bleak and brutal humanity will naturally move towards anything that is gratifying no matter how perverse

thats my opinion anyway

·
Registered
11 Posts
the idea of the emperor trapped in the golden throne is a metaphor of the stagnation of the empire. the greatest human ever to have lived has been killed by his favourite son and the rest of humanity cannot let their 'god' die.
if you look at it this way it shows how the chaos powers have become so strong, first of all khorne because of the eternal warfare, undying loyalty to the emperor means his servants continue the war he started.
then nurgle, the stagnation of a great empire means that slowly even the most loyal will lose hope.
tzeench, the rulers of the empire scheme and plot to maintain the status quo while others strive for change
and finally slaanesh, in a universe so bleak and brutal humanity will naturally move towards anything that is gratifying no matter how perverse

thats my opinion anyway
cool opinion :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
The chaos powers all pre-dated the Emperors control of Humanity, Slaanesh being the youngest of them all. I remember reading on Wikipedia somewhere, I think about the C'Tan or Necrontyr, that it may indirectly be related to the Nightbringinger instilling the belief of self-preservation into all races (except, ironically, the orks). It would certainly explain Khorne, anyway. But remember at the moment of the Emperors inception it was due to the Chaos powers growing in the warp so it definately couldn't have been due to Humanity at the time.

I also remember a mis-written piece of fiction suggesting that Sigmar might have been the 2nd or 12th (im not sure on 12th I think its 11th or 12th) Primarch in an effort to tie together both universes, but they retconned this (it was in a pre ed120 White Dwarf I think).

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
They also said that the Warhammer world was a planet in the Imperium, but that was also recinded. The Emperor is a conglomeration of thousands of minds all reincarnated together as the last great hope for Mankind. He was born before any of you existed, and rose to power in the late M29. He united the factions of techno-barbarians and humans, and conquered the universe, before being nearly-killed by Horus. This brings us to the M41, where he continues to melt into black ooze in the Golden Throne.

-Dirge

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
hmm...judging from what ive read, terra in m29 is torn by thousands of years of war (desolated), and ruled primarily by techno-barbarians (post-apocalyptic dudes with mohawks and cars that run on pig poo poo)...is it so much of a stretch to imagine that the Emperor is in fact...
MELL GIBSON THE ROAD WARRIOR!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Possible but I'm not quite sure the Emperor shared his Anti-semitic views considering 40k backstory would suggest he was actually Jesus ;)

Slightly more on topic, Wasn't the Emperor leader *of* the Techno-barbarians rather than all people on Terra *being* techno-barbarians? I can't remember the book, I think it was a Horus Heresy one, talking about a nation of Sorcerers on Earth during the Dark ages between the Golden Age of Technology and the Emperors coming?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some people think that the world Warhammer Fantasy takes place on is a real planet in the 40K universe, its just cut off from the rest of the galaxy by warp storms. However, I've never read any canon that genuinly backs up this claim; and as far as I know, there isn't a "god like" messiah figure in WH Fantasy (although admittedly I don't have much expierence in the WH Fantasy fluff).

And as far as the emperor's death going unnoticed, wouldn't his passing disrupt the Astropath and make warp travel for the Imperium impossible?
there is one from what i know about empire fluff (not much) sigmar was like the first emporeoer

·
Registered
31 Posts
And as far as the emperor's death going unnoticed, wouldn't his passing disrupt the Astropath and make warp travel for the Imperium impossible?
This so caled The Emperor is just a soul that returns to a new boddy ewery time its old one dies.
Atleast its what i understand it like,but i might be wrong.

·
Registered
745 Posts
all i know is the emperor is the sizzle. the eldar gods got destroyed by the chaos gods but the chaos gods wouldnt/couldnt kill the emperor themselves even when he was a normal (ish) man. now he has gained more powers he is even harder. even though he has been gaining power through worship so have the chaos gods but seeing as there is 4 of them and they still dont try anything it proves the emperor, totally KOed in the throne, still scares the shit out of the ruinous powers. then when the emperor gets his tag team partner in the new eldar god its lights out for chaos even if they bring out malal. GALAXY SAVED :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
A giant Golden Dreadnought would be seriously kick-ass.
Dread no,no,no
they are called emperor class titans for a reason. they are prototypes for him:biggrin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Possible but I'm not quite sure the Emperor shared his Anti-semitic views considering 40k backstory would suggest he was actually Jesus ;)

Slightly more on topic, Wasn't the Emperor leader *of* the Techno-barbarians rather than all people on Terra *being* techno-barbarians? I can't remember the book, I think it was a Horus Heresy one, talking about a nation of Sorcerers on Earth during the Dark ages between the Golden Age of Technology and the Emperors coming?
The HH books suggest the Emperor developed the proto-astartes to quell the techno barbarians (think Chiang Kaishek in China), rather than lead one/many against the others. I just cant see him taking on the role of (as expertly suggested) Mel Gibson and lending with the ferals, techno-barbarianing his way across Terra's scorched ocean basins.

Who knows. The guy apparently couldnt keep 1/2 his kids from wanting to kill him, so all bets are off with the big E.

All I know is, there is every likelihood the the Emperor was, by 31k, sick of humanity and simply wanted to become the next Warp god. Seeing Slaneesh's birth he saw how it could happen. My theory has been fleshed out elsewhere...

41 - 60 of 67 Posts