Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically as the title says. Had my eye on Daemons for a couple of years now, thinking of finally starting up. But I haven't got a clue where to start, how they play, the different builds, are they even good - this doesn't matter to me since I'll get them regardless -, what they're good and bad at, does mono god work?

All I know and have seen and played against unfortunately are DP heavy lists.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Daemons are ok. The book is one of the oldest now though so can be a bit dated. In general they are cheepish to buy normal units. Tjough frequently are low toughness and pretty much no armour as they only get 5++ daemon saves. This of course means you can frequently end up with most of your guys getting ripped apart by tau gunlines or just bolter fire before you get there. Also due to that same lack of toughness you could end up with not enough guys to win the combat you just engaged in.
However, things like beasts of nurgle, plague drones, seekers, flesh hounds and such can get down the field fast enough and engage some of those heavier firepower units then you can be golden, as it gives you the chance you need to get there.
The other way to go is building summoning lists. These if played right can continually refresh lost units with more units each turn. Lords of Change flying high above the field of battle raining down spells and stuff can be nasty, though in my opinion not as good as flyrants with devourers.

A new set of tricks have presented themselves with the khorne daemonkin book though and it is worth looking at them. Also other god versions of daemonkin seem to be on the cards and the units and formations might be good.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Honestly I still think Daemons (just Daemons - Not daemonkin) is one of the strongest armies out there, due to one massive deal; Everything has 5++ saves.

Now straight off you may think it's a bad armor save to have, as you only save 1/3 wounds. But when you think about the current meta where everyone and his grandmother has AP2 or AP3, you start to realize just how powerful it really is. Considering you can get a Daemonette for 9 points with WS5, 2A, rending, run 3'' extra, fleet and a 5++ it can easily be better than a Space Marine, as half the game will shred that marine without any save anyway - And at only half the points.

The longer we get into the current meta, the more powerful I think it becomes. I think it's a great army bonus and it is not to be underestimated, especially when the ground units are as cheap as they are.

In a 1000 point list you can have almost 100 models on the table, if you go with a cheap HQ - All of them have a 5++ save and all of them are above average in close combat. When you have that many bodies with a save you cannot bypass, you start having some serious strengths.

Does the army have it's weaknesses? Sure it does - It sucks as shooting and can have trouble with big machinery. But overall I find it to be a very compettive army, with a unique way of playing and some fun random rules to boot.

Daemons are, and always will be, one of my favorite armies. Hands down.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I find Daemons only tend to perform when they 'exploit' rules - 2++ rerollable saves, massed FMCs with Malefic Daemonology etc.

Massed Scouting Flesh Hounds seem like a good army build, albeit inferior to the Daemonkin version who are flat Fearless, and Plague Drones with the Grimoire work pretty well (Grimoire + Fateweaver + Deathstar of some kind seems to be the winning formula). The best list I've seen for them is massed Flying Princes with Malefic Daemonology.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
There are plenty of good units and strengths to the army, but as someone who favors close combat I absolutely HATE the daemonic instability rule.

Running hordes of Daemonettes/Seekers is usually how I avoid the worst of its effects, but the fact that a single unlucky round in combat can literally decimate your unit is just, well, a pile of poop. :fool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts