Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a discussion of "Heaven or Hell", I'm working on a background story for my SM Chapter and I was wondering what happens to a fallen marine after his progenoid glands are removed? Cremation? Burial? The Grey Knights keep their fallen warriors in a vault on Titan, but this is only one case. Does this differ from chapter to chapter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im pretty sure it depends on the Chapter there are cases were the chapter will burn the bodies of their fallen. I know when the Crimson Fists home world was attacked the Chapter Master and the surviving SM burned their brothers bodies to deny the Orks of any trophies they might have claimed.

In other cases the fallen brothers are left behind, once their progenoid glands have been removed. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume that it differs with each Chapter as do most things. So depending on where you want your Chapter to go, you pretty much have free reign to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If I recall correctly, after the Tartarus campaign the Blood Ravens took all their dead and created one large funeral pyre (as I remember it, the inquisitor that was present didn't seem very impressed about it). Not really sure what other chapters do coz' most of the effort usually goes into retrieving geneseed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They remove the geneseed, and when battle is over they take the armor off the corpse if they can. Then what happens is up to the individual chapter, some just leave the body there, others bury them or cremate the body. I would imagine that some would take the body of the Marine and use the body for servitor stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well if cannibalism is an option, wouldn't the inquisition be suspicious and consider that barbaric? Or does the Chapter cult have more power than the Ordos?

Not exactly, it's been my understanding that not even a Space Marine Chapter would desire the disfavor of anyone of the Ordos.

-That said there is a professional respect between the two. Seeing as how even the lowest ranking Inquisitor may draft help from any loyal chapter, although any Inquisitor with sense would know better than to make demands of a Space Marine Chapter. And, a loyal chapter would be foolish to commit acts that would border on Heresy and openly invite the watchful eye of the Inquisition

But to answer your question, think of modern day Special Forces Units, They are allowed to operate some what outside of what a regular army unit would be allowed. However they are still bound by the ROE of most Conventional units. They are just a little more pampered...

So a chapter that ate their fallen, would most likely do their best to keep it within the chapter, and I doubt they'd do it openly where others might mistake this for an act of Heresy.

And yes, the Inquisition would most likely keep a close eye on such a chapter, and constantly wish to check said chapter's Geenseed for flaws or the taint of Chaos.

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
The Inquisition don't hold any real authority over the Astartes, if they answer to anyone it would be the Emperor and he's not saying too much.
When the Space Marines do help the Inquisition it's more about respect and politics, they could tell the Inquisitor to go bother someone else if they wanted to.

Many Chapters probably do things that it's best the Inquisition don't know about. Space Marines are not knights in shining power armour, they're blood thirsty killers with a nightmare case of 'roid-rage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So that leads me to my next question. If an inquisitor is fighting alongside a chapter, do they have to be present during a ceremony? In other words, could the Chapter Master bar the inquisitor from part-taking in a ritual, such as a burial or cremation? A behind closed doors kind of thing?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I would have thought so.
Whether or not they do it in such a blatant way is another matter, the Space Wolves would probably just tell the Inquisitor to bugger off or else.
Chapter business is Chapter business, nosey Inquisitors would be shown the door one way or another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well it would depend on how you want your chapter to be preceived by other Imperial factions. Your chapter would not be on good tirms with the Inquisition if you were telling them to piss off. But I don't see any problem with Space Marines denying outsiders to witness their rituals. In fact it's pretty common for outsiders not to be allowed to witness that sort of thing. Without going too over the top you can pretty much create any back story for your chapter just keep in mind the way their actions will affect other groups.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Not exactly, it's been my understanding that not even a Space Marine Chapter would desire the disfavor of anyone of the Ordos.
Space Wolves. Not really desiring the disfavour but when the ordos came to investigate them, they sure did give them a royal FUCK OFF welcome.

So I think that Inquisitors don't get to see rituals such as the funerals of the dead space marines

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the answers, they all helped a lot. Trying to make interesting and new fluff is quite the challenge, as well as trying to develop group reactions like AdonisGallus stated above. I find that new ideas appear from thin air, so I'm waiting to build up my current fluff instead of posting an unfinished, scattered piece on the forums. Hopefully all will be fine-tuned and good to go :grin:

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts