Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I was probably 8 or 9, I happened upon a paperback of Ben Counter's Hammer of Daemons in Barnes & Noble. Read the thing about 5 times, never really looked into 40K again until years later, when I realized there was a whole setting of books that were just as great or better.

Thus, I was hooked.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Was in 4th grade maybe when I was staying the night at a friends house. Saw he had Dawn of War and it looked like a fun game. Borrowed it from him, played it, did some searching and found the universe was bigger. Got into the books during middle school, and on the back of them I saw that there were ads for the tabletop. Went into a Challenge Games at the mall here, saw they had warhammer 40K tabletop and bought myself the Battle for Macragge set.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's little stories. :) Keep 'em coming, guys!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I was in primary school in the early 90s and my friend brought in a catalogue depicting the neon-awesomeness that was 2nd Ed Orks etc. Basically, we ran around in the playground pretending to be the models - I liked to be a Terminator and one of my friends enjoyed being the little squig-dog on the cover of the Ork codex. A few months later we found our local Toymaster was stocking it, and I had my first game in the Metro Centre in Newcastle.

Looking back, the differences between then and now in terms of company direction are so very clear. I was asked, when browsing, if I wanted to know a little bit more about each of the armies and what story/models interested me most. There was absolutely no pressure to buy Space Marines or indeed any specific models, system or army.

3rd Ed hit just after I joined Secondary school, and found a lunchtime club. Ta-da, here I am, 15 years later and still going strong!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I am autistic and I have clinical Depression. I was Struggling for years with everything . One day my only friend introduced me to the games workshop. It was in 2006 and every since thing i have loved it. I have gotten and painted models and played a few games. Not as many as i would like but it has helped me and it continues to help me witch is why i doubt i will not stop doing warhammer and 40k even for games like warmachine and horde

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Way back in 1991 I used to sit beside a bloke in French class because the 2 of us had no interest in it, and the teacher used to leave us alone, giving us up as a lost cause. One day he took out a White Dwarf, and I had a read through it. These were the days when WD actually had some useful, practical articles in it, like a template for making a cardboard Baneblade.

I was intrigued with 40k from from the start, and got Rogue Trader and a box of the RTB01 marines for my next birthday. The rest, as they say, is history.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well lets see if I can recall.... OK I have always enjoyed modeling mostly WW2 Infantry and tanks and played D&D at age 13. I was wandering through a hobby shop while home on leave from the Army at age 24 around the time Rogue Trader was rearing its head here in the U.S. and I spotted the RTB01 Marines and the Space Ork Raiders boxes and wanted to build some scifi models and noticed that there was also a role play\TTG rule book, Rogue Trader and was almost instantly caught in the whole ball of wax. I spread the game around my friends who D&D'd with me and found a few others that played. So it began and I have followed ever since, I mainly model and paint these days but tried to get my grandsons interested so I wont have to travel too far to game. I paint to an acceptable standard and have gotten better over the years, and the conversions and wot not have me fiddling in my spare time. Well that sums it up, I'm a beardy git and an old timer but still play for fun. The rules are the frame work but the minis are the core and the fun is a must.
Cheers all! :drinks:
Corporal Chaos

·
Registered
13 Posts
Walking around the dorm at boarding school aimlessly and passed a room with a game of Heroquest going on. Asked if I could watch! This was way better than Monopoly!!
Got to play and during one of the games I spied a White Dwarf on a guys desk. Picked it up and was in total awe! Went to the local newsagent every week and read their White Dwarf mags and fell in love.
Later that year was walking past a hobby shop that had a big cardboard cutout of a Blood Angel marine advertising 2nd Ed. Bugged the crap out of my parents and got it for my Birthday/Christmas. Been an on again/off again thing and mainly painting ever since due to time/money/youth...until this year when I've totally got back into the hobby as a whole!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I had an older friend who was impressing me with his space wolves a long time ago. I saved up and bought myself a DE wych blister, painted it with all my 11 year old skill and decided to paint plastic army men instead, since I could afford them. Eight years later, I got sick of having nothing to show from computer games and asked a friend of mine I knew was into it to show me into the hobby. I've had my attention to it wax and wane in that time, but I'm accruing quite a collection!

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Played Magic: The Gathering at a club every week, and there would always be 2nd edition WH40K games going on. I thought it looked crude but fun, especially the models were a turn-off, and they weren't making it easier to like with their flock terrain.

But all I ever saw were Orks, Imperial Guard and Space Marines back then; the first time someone brought in an Eldar army was the instant I got interested, as these models were actually cool. Not long after I was painting my first Eldar army.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I was enticed into my school club in year 7 thinking it was a computer game, when I found it's not, I was too polite to leave and had a go at a trial game where I was a non against a smerf
Fell in love as the club organiser picture every grim detail for me, as my nobs great knarled hand pounds into the smerfs helm, crushing it into a bloody pulp as blood, bone and adamantine spurt out every where
A trait I'm still proud of to share today, which binds to my flesh tearers much more than me tau, 'cos deep down I can tell I'm a homicidal maniac
Saved up and bought black reach, got my bros hooked some how, bought smerfs as they danced through reach, hated them, then friends convinced me tau where the bomb, I lived them till my homicidal tendencies brought me to flesh tearers a year or two ago
I think that's it, if not, tell me if you've read that block and lived please :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
started playing heroquest round a friends house when i was about ten loved it got my own set and space crusade for Christmas that year played it to death with bro then got expansions for both then advanced space crusade then when i was about 13 in about 1993 i got fantasy roleplay and rouge trader. Then stopped playing completely until battle for macragge but i barely took it out the box. When i was getting ready to move house about six months ago i found it all got it out all the good memories came back. Decided id build a sm army since i already had a fair bit and found a local club. Now in just trying to build and paint enough stuff and learn the rules to start playing properly but i am totally hooked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually quite an interresting story, ages ago there was a Donald Duck pocket book story about wargaming where his nephews all had small armies who fought each other when Donald decided to get himself a big undead army.

The figures turned came to life and whatnot, but the main part of the story is that I thought it looked like a lot of fan. Several years later I see some Warhammer products in my store so I research a bit on the theme and get into it by a whim.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Heroquest! That was awesome!

(Ding: 500th post)
Indeed it was! I loved the expansion that gave you a detachment of Men-at-Arms :)

500 posts? Get cracking, slacker! :wink:

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I'm honest I got back into 40k because I was in a very bad relationship, the only escape and time I could get to myself was painting 40k. I associated 40k with peace and escape from the constant nagging... who said in the grim dark future there is only war wasn't haha

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got interested in the game back when I saw a friend of the family had a starter box of smurfs a decade ago, they were just so cool in my mind at the time ^^. I asked my parents to namb me some, you know what I got warhammer fantasy stuff (empire eww)>.< so yeah....a few years later I was going to buy tau....and ended up with necrons instead due to the ease at which a pitiful painter like myself could make an impressive army, and I've since juggled between them, CSM, and skaven when my mood shifts.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Way back, probably 3rd edition. Had no idea how the game was played, but my mate's dad had a large Eldar army and some Dark Angels. My mate had the 2nd ed starter set and a bunch of homemade terrain bits including an Imperial Strongpoint made from WD templates, which I still have. Many happy days were had as a squad of old metal Guardsmen, Yarrick and a Basilisk fended off an Ork Waaaagh! of perhaps 30 Boyz (I thought that was a huge army!). Had absolutely no idea how the game was played, but I remember the spectacle.

Midnight

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had been playing WFB for a handful of years, started playing Mordheim, and then decided to give yet another system (and more money to GW) a go.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts