Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the second time this month that my wife needed me to use my hobby tools to fix some jewelery. The first time was using a set of picks to un-knot a fine silver chain. Today I had to reset a gemstone that somehow popped out of a ring.
This had me thinking: If I'm using my bench, picks, glue, and high powered flexy lamp as a pseudo jewelers workshop what are other hobbyists using their areas for?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My hobby tools double all the time. Mostly it is my scalpel and my steel ruler that is beeing used for my wifes cardmaking. One or two techniques has also been picked up by her for painting her nails! :biggrin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing nail related my wife learned from the hobby is gluing her fingertips together. I've mastered that technique long ago.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm a professional visual artist so I use a lot of my tools for design work. For example, my t square for cutting materials straight, my x acto blade from scoring and cutting, brushes for, duh. etc.

and I use my nail clippers meant for biting off larger hunks of flash to clip hang nails.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I have 2 adjacent desks one for miniature work and traditional media art (larger), the other with a computer, Xbox, wacom tablet, and bills - so work, play, digital art, and responsibility (smaller).

A lot of my tools get used on household projects and my wife's art/crafts. For Halloween she made Jedi robes for her, me, and our 2 year old. A lot of my illustration tools and drafting experience went into scaling and reproportioning the robe pattern she found for different sized adults and a small child.

Good fun =)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My wife made a load of plaster of paris christmas tree decorations...And then painted them and varnished them with GW paints...heh Fineplast.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I share my hobby area with my son and it is used for aroudn 75% hobby. But then its used for rearing odds and ends that need gluing. My wife doesn't go near it but will get me to do 'creative' stuff for her and my son will use it for school projects.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
The tools are pretty much for 40k/fantasy, other than opening boxes and fixing odds and ends... but I do my homework in my hobby space sometimes too.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My hobby area serves several purposes; I use it for model building/painting, a place to study, a table to play boardgames on and an area to build and mod nerf guns.

There's always scrap plastic, scaplels, paintbrushes and power tools everywhere; and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Today was the second time this month that my wife needed me to use my hobby tools to fix some jewelery
Usually is just the "Official Man Cave" but doubles as a Cosplay designing area my friends and I use to store/design/and create our master peices for Conventions we attend. We also use it for the creation of Storm Trooper armor for the local 501st Chapter we attend on s semi-regular basis.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That's just silly; half the fun of having a hobby table is playing dodge the knife blades.

Horror story time: I took a printing class in university which required us to buy $200 Swiss steel palm gouges. Super high quality, and the sharpest blades I have ever touched. It didn't take long for the carnage to start.... One student accidentally slid the gouge straight into the tip of her middle finger down to the large knuckle, as in: the gouge was parallel to her bone, but inside her skin.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
This area is my hobby area, dining area, computer area, tv area and sleeping area.

I only really have one room of the house and it's tiny, so everything is pretty close. :giggle:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts