Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Sorry, I didn't like the way that was formatted so didn't read it...why not just write a list
the way almost everyone else does?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
points - 1955

command squad - 165
PF, Vox, MOO, HF, RS,

3 platoons - identical - 325

PCS
PF, Vox, GL, HF, sniper, commassar w/ PF

Infantry squad 1
flamer, vox

infantry squad 2
flamer, vox

HWS
autocannon, HB, missle

Armored sentinal squad - 195
3 autocannons

1 LRBM - 250
HB sponsons, pask, Lascannon hull

1 Devil Dog - 150
multi-melta hull

1 basalisk - 155
HF hull, storm bolter pintle, camo netting

ratling squad- 50
5 ratlings

·
Registered
736 Posts
points - 1955

command squad - 165
PF, Vox, MOO, HF, RS,

Your CCS appears to be tooled for what? I can see the use of the HF as a counter unit, but the PF is basically redundent if this is the case, or the other way round. Guard Infantry are weak in CC, yes you can build some great combo's especially with straken however guard armies especially those that are effective are tooled to one thing, massive firepower and keeping your opponent at arms length as much as possible, and then removing threats that can enter CC so that your shooting phase continues.

For example;

CCS.
Senior Officer (nothing special)
Vox (I dont think the Vox is worthwhile if you take appropiate measures to compensate see other HQ choice below)
MOO. (Great if your going to stand still, the points always have paid for themselves for me)

Now consider the above and work out what will work in synergy with it. You don't wish to move due to the MOO. You do however according to your list wish have two tanks that are driving forward. You don't want them endangered by the MOO or careering shots. Therefore the best deployment option for this squad is probably going to be raised ground that can see the field. Therefore a MLauncher, an Autocannon, or even a Lascannon will get the most benefit working in harmony with the MOO. Or a Mortar.

3 platoons - identical - 325

PCS
PF, Vox, GL, HF, sniper, commassar w/ PF

You seem to love the PF? Examine these units and tell me what they are designed to do? At the moment you have a CC aspect, a mid range aspect against troops, a long range aspect against monster units and a blast marker. On top of that, your carrying a commissar that will shoot your PF carrying Junior Officer at the first whiff of a leadership test basically costing you your PF.

Infantry squad 1
flamer, vox

First law of guard foot troops. Numbers and Strength. Flamers are good, but you must be so careful. You have 2 squads all tooled to flame. Are you with 50 men on deployment then range, what your opponent places, what you place, and where, not going to be able to use the flamer template? GL on the other hand are 24 range and give you a chance to eliminate light armor even eldar armor.... and can still defeat troops with frag. This is also where your Commissar should be. In a combined 20 man infantry squad. He will shoot a sgt.... not your junior officer when they fail their leadership test.

infantry squad 2
flamer, vox

HWS
autocannon, HB, missle

As above work in harmony. Autocannons and Missile Launchers are your best bet here without doubt. The Autocannon is the staple HWS of choice. The rate of fire and the armor dent it can cause gives it a better chance against most stuff. Same with the Missile Launcher.

You have also not considered what is giving it orders and how they will react. Check your LD.... its 7. Where is your Lord Commissar giving them a bubble of 10 LD to recieve that BRING IT DOWN ON THOSE ADVANCING CARNIFEXES SMITH!

1 LRBM - 250
HB sponsons, pask, Lascannon

Insert Hobo comment.

1 Devil Dog - 150
multi-melta hull

Again Insert Hobo comment, however good with the MM on the hull in my limited use.
1 basalisk - 155
HF hull, storm bolter pintle, camo netting

ratling squad- 50

Elites for Guard are our weakest. However consider the above army and think it through again. The tanks advance, the gunline opens up. However your using 40 flashlights. What happens when the Devil gets swamped, or peppered with MM fire from that marine sitting in his rhino? Here are some other thoughts.

Vetran squad with 3 plasma guns in a Chimera with HF. standard Mech list defeat the universe, the guard are now winning the war on all fronts attack across 40k. (insert Hobo comment on strategy for it)

Take 5 storm troopers with two melta guns and drop in behind that Ork battle wagon. It will be a). funny. b). create OMG where did that come from. c). even teaches eldar tanks a lesson

Lastly. I see no counter punch units. What happens when the Lictor arrives for suprize butt secs on turn 2 in the middle of your guard troops or standing next to the baskalisk? I cannot see how you would stop it. A SWS with flamers might do the trick here for you, and give the Lord Commissar I mentioned above much needed protection. Also last thing...

40 flashlights are protecting what? A bask and a HWS? Thats a lot of investment for the firepower its getting. Increase HWS to 3 if going this way.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Then that's reason enough to keep it as is, if you're happy with it, although I see lots of points I'd save for other things.

Are you blobbing those Platoons...and all 3 are PCS and 2 Infantry Squads, correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts