Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, what do you DO with a old codex? when a new one comes out?

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
It goes in a corner with all of my other outdated game books and rots.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Old rule books and codices are heresy, so I burn them in a long winded cleansing ritual.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I keep them, as a reminder of how the used to be- warhammer, not grav-hammer :(

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
I actually collect old codices, Imperial Armor books, etc., almost solely for fluff's sake. Perhaps some day I may compile a complete history of 40k...or I would, if both 40k wikis had not beaten me to the punch.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
A third won't be missed, nor noticed much either for that matter :(

·
Registered
0 Posts
Keep them for fluff reasons. Also you can still play fun games with them with your friends. A game of Second edition is fun sometimes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep them for fluff reasons. Also you can still play fun games with them with your friends. A game of Second edition is fun sometimes.
well i'm not smitten with my fifth edition rule book.

fun fact: i never played a game with space marines under 5th rules, :ireful2: and only one with sixth (and that was one sixth of a game in my view), but that should be changing soon.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
If you can't afford them the space, there will likely be collectors on e-bay after them... though really after the older editions more likely. I decided to collect all the imperial guard and chaos books, so I've got myself a handy stack in the corner.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I generally keep them.
However, I am in the process of a massive clear out so a lot of stuff will be heading in the direction elsewhere :)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I just kep them. sometime i compare what has changed with the current edition :) i re-read fluff parts and have a look at artworks

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I'm in the keep for reference and inspiration group.

Old games books can be a great source for news ideas, especially the really old supplements where the game often had a very different feel and focus.

For example, the original Realms of Chaos books include descriptions of Khornate armies and they aren't mono-build assault troops. The original vision of the traitor World Eaters was of a tactical army like many others, but with an emphasis on assault, for example everyone came with assault weapons. But the Khornate mantra is still the same, "Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, so long as it flows."

Taking skulls is lovely, but heavy bolters or autocannons are often more handy.

I've been working on a Khorne army which follows this view. It includes some badass chaos lords, berserkers, allied daemons, and my heavy support section is 2 Cannons of Khorne (possessed vindicators) and a unit of Khornate obliterators (3 original Blood Slaughterers).

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Keep 'em - the old Ogre Kingdoms book is really rather delightful from a fluff standpoint; I'd keep it just for the sake of Sir Baldrin's Tale if nothing else.

But much like White Dwarves, I just keep them and read them further down the line to remind me of those halcyon days.

Midnight

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I've kept most of mine, except for Shittyfight™, 3rd Edition rulebook, 3rd edition Blood Angels Book, 3rd Edition... Wait, maybe it's faster to list the only thing from third edition that I didn't tear into a million tinsy tiny pieces? That would be Codex: Craftworld Eldar, the supplement they made back then showing a rare glimmer of intelligent thought for the era.

Oh, and similar ruination has been bestowed upon the two latest Tyranid books.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Keep them, and nostalgically go through them as I dream of better days.

Who knows, maybe they'll be here next saturday...

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have collected a copy of every rulebook from first to 6th, and I collect the codexes for all editions that I can for the armies I am interested in. Which includes older orks, imperial guard, chaos in all its forms etc. Some of them are great to read, I still want copies of 'waaauuuugh the orks' and 'ere we go', but they are rare.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
As with ost other people they become part of the 'collection' on my book shelf. I really should store them away for safe keeping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts