Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day all just curios as to what other painters do while painting your mini's.

do people like
A) silence
B) lock yourself away from (kids, wives/husbands, or girlfriends/boyfriends)
C) listen to music and if so what kind
D) get the family members to help out (or try to)
or any other things you might do

I tend to listen to music while painting mostly metal (from the 80's of course some later stuff as well), if I'm painting a particular army and there is an audiobook for that army I tend to listen to that sometimes.
I have a small room in the house where I go to paint.
The kids generally come in and hassle me so I have a couple of mini's there that they paint and play with (then I strip them ready for the next time they come in).

These are just a few things that I do interested to know what others do.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a comfy chair in my living room and a tray with my minis on to paint, and I will sit and watch TV with my family whilst painting. But if I have a day off, and if I have time to myself, I will paint and stick a battle report, or codex review from YouTube on the telly and will listen to it whilst I paint.
Those times are rare though, and I treasure them.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
These days I hardly have time to paint, but I've been at it since the early 90's.

In those halcyon days I would put on music. I would often try to put something appropriate. For example painting chaos warriors from fantasy battle, I'd listen to the soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian (one of the best ever.) painting modem special forces I'd listen to The Rock soundtrack.

Much as I like metal, I find it's not usually good for painting. Unless maybe I'm listening to Therion's "Secret of the Runes."

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Horus Heresy (or really any 30/40k oriented) audio books were a blast to listen to while painting. Not the audio dramas, mind you...just some dude reading the words is all I need. Put me right in the mood.

Granted, the last time I painted a model was ~10 months ago. I'm getting close to getting back at it...I think....

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
dont do a lot of painting, but plan on ramping up my efforts. When I do paint a modeling I like to do it in store as theres other customers and staff also to get pointers from while I also converse with them about life, music, films/tv shows, books

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
and ofcourse our hobby. Sorry for the double post, on phone

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
p.s. Where r u from woodzie, proud sandgroper here, if youre from perth we may have met or know some of the same people or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a dining room table I made into a crafting mess on the far side of my living room...gf gets one side I get the other. When the gf is not home I turn on music( usually Pandora radio I vary what I listen to..anything from Stravinsky to zappa to metal to indie rock...and even 80s pop sometimes) and um...well I live in Colorado so my mmj and paraphernalia are always within arms length....and usually a tasty treat and something to quench the thirst and I'll lose myself for hours. But when the gf is home she likes to have tv on or some movie...usually her pick.....

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@tu_shan82 yes I'm also a proud sandgroper born and bred. I'v played at the freo games workshop a bit when I can. I live south of perth.

@FimirFever I sometimes commandeer one half of the dining table as well but need to set up before wifey gets home. easy to ask for forgiveness than permission :biggrin:

·
Registered
533 Posts
TV series, podcasts, music, films. That's quite broad, but for example I watched all of Lost a couple of years ago while painting nids, listened to every Ricky Gervais radio show/podcast, Breaking Bad... I'm struggling to remember now because I haven't been able to paint for a while. I like 40k podcasts too.

Generally stuff that takes hours and hours to work through so I'm not spending time thinking of what to watch next and can instantly jump from one episode to the next and not waste time when I could be painting

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
@Woodzee316 used to paint and model down at freo back whe Rye sp? was manager and played in a few apoc games, them stopped goin when the joondalup store opened cos thats where I lived. Live in jolimont now so I make my purchases @ the city store, and game

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
aswell as painting and modelling up a joondalup cos its a larger, more inviting store than the carillion, but the guys in the city are great too.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I either listen to music (usually either metal og dubstep, depending on mood - Although I'm a metal musician, i find that dubstep is easier to paint to, as I don't sing a long :p) or to Miniwargamings "Sit and talks" with Matt.

I cannot watch a show or a movie while I'm painting, as I'm concentrating more on whats in front of me, than I ever would on a show. I would miss 80% of the thing i watched.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Occasionally I'll put on a Frontline Gaming batrep (I used to watch MWG back in the day when they knew what they were about), but I'll usually just stick on the D'Oyly Carte recordings of the Savoy Operas. At some point, maybe when I finally get around to painting my Knight, I'll try and get all the way through Der Freischutz (you could paint a Warhound in that time!).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@tu_shan82 have you played at the impact gaming lodge in Joondalup on Wednesday?

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Sometimes I bang the radio on, or in the case of my current Japanese project I've had a lot of stuff like The Pacific, Letters from Iwo Jima, Pacific Battleship Yamato or Battle of the Pacific.

Stuff that's relevant to the moments current project basically :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I was studying Korean I sometimes just played the textbook accompanying CDs from start to finish and absorbed it all. It doesn't make much sense listening to that kind of CD from start to finish but since painting was the main activity it didn't have to be an efficient kind of study, just listening was enough to bring stuff back and internalise thing I'd already studied

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
@Woodzee316 only just learned it existed the other, but limited by public transport, but Ive been tempted to check out TGA for a long time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a work bench in my garage that I model and paint my minis at, and I usually throw on some Metal (Usually the harder upbeat stuff like system of a down, slipknot or rage against the machine) because the loudness and upbeat tempo help with boredom. I don't really enjoy the act of painting but I like to have good looking models when I game and I enjoy listening to music so I still enjoy my painting time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts