Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well title kinda says it but I'm going to explain the possible outcomes of each of the races in the known 40K universe and at the end summarize what might be whats left at the end of time.

The Imperium:
For some of us it's sad, for others it's a time of joy, but no matter how you put it you can't deny the Imperium is coming to an end. They've passed their height of power and are on a downward slope heading towards insanity. Yes the Star Child which will happen at the Emp's death may hinder Chaos, but it will eventually come back. Also the death of the Emp will cause massive Warp Storms (the result of his blocking the Chaos incursions from happening everywhere suddenly dissappearing) which would tear the Imperium asunder. If that wasn't enough for you, the Astronomicon (murdered that i think) would also be destroyed and ALL of the Imperium's warp travel would be lost, essentially destroying the connections it once held. Eventually the Imperium, though it would fight valiantly, would wane and as isolationation takes hold it would be overrun peice by peice until it was down to just the solar system once more, and faced with an onslaught of enemies, that would fall as well. Humanity - or the remains - would either be lost for eternity or slung into slavey, either way it will be destroyed and the gleaming beacon that was the Emp will fade.

Eldar:
Of the few Craftworlds that survived the Fall, less and less of them have the strength to fight. Some leave the galaxy for else, but most stay. Iyanden serves as an example that the Craftworlds CAN be found and CAN be destroyed, also (forgot the name) was destroyed by Space Marines and is another example. Their society will hold out for less of a time than any other race, as their numbers already dwindle. But two ways survive: They could either 1) as more and more of them die, they could be like Iyanden and become a race of ghost-warriors, or 2) they could, as their Dark Kin, retreat into the webway and live out the rest of time until Commoragh is found and destroyed by whatever survives the end of days. When every last Eldar is dead, Ynnead may or may not be born with the strength enough to strike down Slaanesh and the entire Eldar race will be reborn and they may rise to power once again, this time having learned their lessons.

Necrons:
More and more of the undying robots rise from their tombworlds ready once again to serve their greedy masters, yet their very mission will be their undoing. They rely on the souls of others to function, and as less and less of other races are exterminated by them, they themselves will begin to starve and fade from the galaxy. Or they will move on, to the next galaxy and harvest all life from the entire universe, and shut down the warp from all parts of the universe, and when all life is lost then, they will die from again starvation.

Chaos:
Perhaps the most impegnetrable force in the Galaxy as of right now, their numbers of Madmen and Daemons never dwindle. While their masters hide the Warp until such a time is needed that they may come out to play, their henchmen pillage the galaxy from random incursions. Yet as of right now most of their incursions have been stopped by other races, and they are able to be contained in the Warp even after an incursion is launched. However when the Imperium fails and the Eldar disappear, nobody will be left to hold the aggresors at bay, yet no one may need to. By the time the Imperium falls, a number of things may happen. 1) The Necrons may finish their great project, and seal off the Warp from the material universe, which will in turn lock all inside, including Chaos itself. 2) With all of their worshipers destroyed or dead, the God will have no power and thus they will, too, fall and the Daemons of Chaos will turn against eachother in the greatest power struggle the Universe has ever seen and destroy themselves. 3) Finally, possible the most likely, but assuming by a great stroke of luck that Ynnead is born at the very time the Emp dies, the Star Child and Ynnead may be enough to destroy the Chaos gods altogether and return the Warp to the calm plain it once was.

Tyranids:
The Great Devourer invades our Galaxy from afar. Weather they moved here after eating all that the last had to offer, or parts of some great beast race that were driven off in a power struggle, they come for only one purpose: to feed. Though tendrils are able to be held off, no army can stand to the overriding power of all three swarms as they slowly overrun the unvierse peice by peice and crash into eachother. Yet as with the Necrons, this may lead to their undoing, for certainly the Hive Fleets would turn against eachother as food ran low and competition increased. Yes they would certainly take a great chunk out of the galaxy, however their numbers would greatly be reduced and as the rest of the race moves into the galaxy the only real hope remaining is that they cave in upon themselves and devour eachother.

Tau:
The youngest race in the Galaxy, it is the only race that may live past the impending doom to forge the universe in it's image. Proclaimed by Eldrad as a great race that needs only be nurtured, in time they will accomplish feats that would surpass even those of the Eldar. Through their Caste system they can hold their Empire together and not risk sedition. The Empire will begin to spread as the other races die out, and as their Technology advances it will be able to hold off the menaces that plague the Galaxy. Through their souls they are also impregnatrable to Chaos, as it has no hold on them. Perhaps Tau are the last remaining hope for the galaxy.

Orks:
Like a great wave, Orks sweep across the Galaxy in Waaagh!s, yet they are too stupid to see a chance when it hits them in the ass. They know not how to work together, for once a great Waagh! is formed it collapses under it's own weight as a power struggle occurs. They are easily manipulated and can be turned towards themselves. A Galactic Waaagh! would take out a great chunk of the teritory of others, but as it overextends itself and the other races begin to push it back and it loses momentum, Warbosses will arise and challenge eachother, sperating the great beast instead of strengthening it, and causing it's destruction.

So what do we have to look forward to? Well looking way beyond into the distant future, the Imperium will be gone, the Eldar may be around, either lingering on or reborn anew, but more likely they will suffer the same fate. Orks would eventaully be destroyed either by themselves or other races, as would the Tyranids. If Chaos relaizes the threat Necrons pose to them, they may stand a chance, but more likely, with the Imperium and Eldar fall, they will be free to finish their great plan and seal the Universe from the Warp. In the end, the Necrons will be left with the Tau, who will have survived with the destruction of their greatest threat and the protection received from the Eldar. A great war will ensue, and the outcome I can't really tell who would be victorious in the End, but there will be very few that survive.

:p:p:p:p:p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
And I'm the only one left grinning because either way, one of my favorite armies stand triumphant.:biggrin:

Although I do want to point out that the Necrons aren't going to 'die' out from a lack of souls. Whenever they wipe out the entire universe, the C'tan go "Do'well" and go into stasis for millions, if not billions of years. Than they wake up to find the universe teeming with life again, and thus begins Necrons 2: Electric Boogaloo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I probably should've put stasis, but I figured that they'd be in it for so long they might as well be dead.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Actually in regards to Chaos, I strongly believe that as the Imperium collapsed and the Chaos Legions conquering new domains in Imperial Space, the nature of Chaos would ultimately have them turn on each other. In the novel 'Legion', it was shown an alternate future where Horus was victorious but in the aftermath, things descended into anarchy and infighting. So regardless of what else happens, Chaos victorious would only last for the short term before their own nature got the better of them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well:( at least if the Imperium falls they'll take out as many xenos and heretics as they can with them:victory:

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Man, the Imperium came as close as it can to utter destruction ten thousand years ago. It's still going, despite the almost masochistic practices of its leadership. Less than a millennium ago, the same staid, stagnant, slowly collapsing Imperium pumped out a Macharius and all of a sudden Humanity was partying like it was the 31st Millennium again.

There are billions of Eldar left, and they reside in Craftworlds capable of taking on entire sector fleets. They're led by prophetic psykers who are able to seize on even the most convoluted threads of the future to bail their asses out of the fire ("Lord of the Night", anyone?) Yeah, the smaller Craftworlds might succumb to major threats, but that's everyone's lot in the 40k universe.

The Necrons don't have to worry about anything precisely because of the ongoing stalemate of their existence: absent some serious C'tan intervention, they are stuck between not being able to destroy all the mortals and possessing abilities ("teleport away!") that in turn prevent them from being destroyed outright as well.

The Tau have yet to be tested. They might represent the future... or they might just become the next soon-to-be-forgotten victim in the altar of 40k. Unless someone gives them a ticket to the Webway (and it's telling that the Eldar, however much they might admire them, haven't done so), their very strength will be their undoing. Once their empire gets big enough, for example, their separation from the Warp--and thus reliable, fast, interstellar travel--will see them preyed upon with a crippling inability to respond cohesively.

The biggest problem with the Orks and the Tyrannids is that their efforts are not cohesive enough to seriously usurp the rest of the powers. Maybe one day the Tyrannids will get smart enough to hold on until a sufficient number of Hive Fleets arrives in our Galaxy, but until then it's coulda-woulda-shoulda. Ditto for the Orks.

Ultimately, the Imperium isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Yeah, yeah, the Golden Throne is failing. What's the timeline for it failing? It's lasted for ten millennia already. The Eldar took a death-blow and are still there, ten millennia later. I suspect that they, and Chaos, will be the major players for the long term. Tyrannids and Orks are ultimately challenges, distractions, and sources of great danger, but that's where it ends. The Tau, again, are new kids on the block. We'll see how it goes with the Necrons and C'Tan... they're about the only serious (as in, we will change the face of the Galaxy) threat I can think of right now.

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
Good read. Now, let me give you all a few of my own thoughts.

Imperium
Possibilty #1: The Emperor dies and become the Star Child(if that hasn't been retconned) because of the belief of the trillions upon trillions of humans who worship him every day, since, races with psychic potential can change the warp with their collective will(Which is why the Chaos Gods love worship so much :p). As a 'Chaos God', the Emperor will make the Astronomicon obsolete as he will be guiding ships through the warp directly(and possibly even make the warp safer for ships). Thus, him dying will in fact make the Imperium Stronger.
Possibility #2: Emperor dies and is gone forever. The Astronomicon fails and the Imperium is plunged into chaos. However,(I read somewhere)ships could travel to other planets without the Astronomicon before(it was just a lot more dangerous), so the Imperium will pull back all of it's forces to Segmentum Solar, completely fortify it, and leave all of the humans out in the other Segmentums to die. Segmentum Solar will survive, although attacked on all sides, and all the humans everywhere else will be left to fend for themselves. This will lead to the formation of several independent human empires, some will be wiped out quickly, others may fall to Chaos, but some will prosper. One off the top of my head would be the Realm of Ultramar. As much as we all hate the Ultramarines, they have the best chance to survive if the Imperium fell. And there would be others, with varying degrees of success, but we won't know unless it happens this way.

Eldar:
The Craftworld Eldar are dying. You know it, I know it. And there are a few possibilities. As the last Eldar dies, Ynnead is born and he does not kill Slaanesh, he just breaks the hold the Slaanesh has over the souls of the Eldar. However, as this happens, the Dark Eldar(who are still around due to the cloning thing) no longer have their souls being sucked and some(not all) decide to go back to the old ways. So, Craftworld Eldar come back as Eldar who left the Dark Eldar way. There are still a lot of Dark Eldar though who just have sucked souls too long and just keep on doing it.

Necrons and Tyranids:
The 2 super races. The only races with enough power to wipe all other races from the galaxy. As more and more Necrons awake, and more and more Tyrandis enter the Galaxy, the chances of a large-scale confrontation grow. And some point in time, the Necrons will see that the Tyranids are a giant psychic meal and there will be a battle of epic preportions. Hopefully, this will be enough justification to help the Milky Way survive a little longer.

Chaos:
Chaos will become more powerful no matter what happens. Worst case scenario: The Milky Way becomes a giant Eye of Terror and everything, even the Necrons, is pulled into the warp for eternal torture and damnation. Best Case Scenario: Segmentum Obscurus becomes a new Chaos Empire. Chaos assaults will become ever more numerous and only the concentration of all of the Imperium's forces in Segmentum Solar will keep the Imperium from falling. Either way, it's going to suck for everyone when the Emperor dies.

Tau:
They will die. Sorry, but I really don't like the Tau. :p

Orks:
Personally, I think they may be the only hope for the Galaxy if they the Necrons or the Tyranids awoke. They have the numbers, and the ability to conquer the galaxy in a green wave. They won't be going down easy, even if all of the Necrons and C'tan Gods awoke.

So, those are my opinions. Take them how you will.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Unless someone gives them a ticket to the Webway (and it's telling that the Eldar, however much they might admire them, haven't done so), their very strength will be their undoing. Once their empire gets big enough, for example, their separation from the Warp--and thus reliable, fast, interstellar travel--will see them preyed upon with a crippling inability to respond cohesively.
I see where you're coming from, but I still don't think that's really the case. If the other races that have had their fair share of the warp are any indication *cough Dark Elves, Chaos, birth of slaanesh, y'know* might be one of the few things that promises that they might stand a chance. Knowing how high tech they already are within the first few thousand years, it wouldn't be surprising if they came up with some superior comms tech without the warp in just a couple more.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Could be!

Personally, though, I don't think the Tau are much more than a pre-Dark Age of Technology version of Humanity... minus the emerging mutations (Navigators, Astropaths) that allowed us to rise to our prominence--and got us into the hole we're in, as well. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ok heres my own thoughts:

Imperium
Sorry, be humans are mincemeat. they can't possiably survive much longer, not with all the other races attacking them at once.

Eldar
The eldar (from what I know) are excellent at surviving but for how long? They may finally defaet Slaanesh but they could potentally wipe themselves out in the process.

Necrons
They will continue to rise from there tombs and reak havoc upon the Galaxy but I don't see them doing too much damage because they have been around for millions of years! maybe their age is getting to them? (if you know what i mean)

Chaos
The legions of chaos could well overun the Imperium but they would soon go back into infighting, back to the neverending struggle of the chaos gods. one way or another they will still be here.

Tau
these guys could become the new "Imperium" in the galaxy

Orks
not a clue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I guess peace is out of the question for a while :grin:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well, I might as well chuck my 2 cents into the ring.

Imperium: Oh come on, is it really that big a spoiler? They're basically going to go out with a "Noblest death competition" which admittedly doesn't make too much of a difference when you're entirely extinct.

Eldar:They're going to get wiped out in a Slaaneshi buttfucking orgy, but then if they're lucky they're roll a six and the God of the Dead will be born and instead he'll be the one putting it in Slaanesh. What they do after that whole Dead Space 2 thing? I wouldn't have a clue.

Orks: I figure they'll always be around causing some sort of ruckus, but that's about it. Meanwhile...

Dark Eldar: Will continue to rape anything with an orifice until they piss off their big brother Ynnead who comes along, lays down a proper routing and than drags the few survivors off to rehab. Or until they realize with Slaanesh dead that they no longer need to be snorting ork feces or whatever it is the sickfucks do.

Chaos: With humanity wiped out and the Eldar going all Ubermensch , Chaos is gonna be having a sad day when they realize their recruiting stations are rather empty. Maybe Abbadon will stop sucking for a change, or perhaps Chaos will remain as divided as always. If they don't get taken out when Humanity ends it's career by strapping as many explosives to itself as possible before running screaming into the Eye of Terror or whatever, then Ynnead might finish the job. If Ynnead doesn't get it right, the Necrons step in...

Necrons: Having sensed that a ton of their cattle is vanishing off the radar, the C'tan will force millions of Necrons on thousands of planets awake and not let them have their coffee. Extraordinarily pissed off by this, they will work hard just to go back to bed again. The first thing they do will be to finish their big Red Button, press it, and the warp goes bye-bye. Suddenly the Chaos guys and Ynnead alike start acting like Frodo Baggins after inhaling the One Ring, and the Necrons will promptly don their straw hats, put a piece of wheat in their mouths, pick up their scythes and set to work.

Tau: Having no connection with the warp whatsoever, super duper technology and generally being one of the few races with consistent brains, the Tau will be the only ones standing. After the Necrons shove the Nids out of the galaxy with a size 10 shoe, it will become the biggest battle around. Depending on how productive our blue friends have been, this will either end in more grimdarkery as the Necrons win yet again or the Tau wins and soon GW will have to change their slogan to;

Brighthammer 410000: In the Surprisingly Promising Future, There's Going to be a Lot of Peace and Prosperity For a Change.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alot of good points here, and it's interesting because all of you know much more than me on the subject (I haven't read all the extra stuff like HH or Legion or such) so I'm learning from you all.

Yes the Imperium won't be going anywhere for a while, but you have to remember this is supposed to be what's left at the end of the universe, whatever happens then.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Indeed. If there's one thing humanity has proven is our ability to endure and survive the worst that it thrown at us. Mankind will endure the storm and survive. We may no longer be the top dogs of the galaxy but we'll still be there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tyranids:
The Great Devourer invades our Galaxy from afar. Weather they moved here after eating all that the last had to offer, or parts of some great beast race that were driven off in a power struggle, they come for only one purpose: to feed. Though tendrils are able to be held off, no army can stand to the overriding power of all three swarms as they slowly overrun the unvierse peice by peice and crash into eachother. Yet as with the Necrons, this may lead to their undoing, for certainly the Hive Fleets would turn against eachother as food ran low and competition increased. Yes they would certainly take a great chunk out of the galaxy, however their numbers would greatly be reduced and as the rest of the race moves into the galaxy the only real hope remaining is that they cave in upon themselves and devour eachother.

:p:p:p:p:p
Well, I remember reading about the Tyranids and it said that when Tyranids invade a world and after the fighting is over, they combine the fallen enemies and bodies of their own and use it to grow new and stronger Tyranids.

Ironically I am listening to a song by the band Chimaira right now and this is the lyric excerpt from the song:

(Ressurection)
a wise man once said
that which does not kill us makes us stronger
though we were dead
so are we now invincible?

So basically they can just tke those who fell in battle and grow better killing machines.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I remember reading about the Tyranids and it said that when Tyranids invade a world and after the fighting is over, they combine the fallen enemies and bodies of their own and use it to grow new and stronger Tyranids.
I think I've heard of that before, something about absorbing the biomass of dead Tyranids and using it as building blocks for other Tyranids. I don't think that they do it with the inhabitants of the world though.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
I think I've heard of that before, something about absorbing the biomass of dead Tyranids and using it as building blocks for other Tyranids. I don't think that they do it with the inhabitants of the world though.
Um... Then what would be the point in invading other worlds? :shok:

Are you taking the piss?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.