Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much any marine model in 40k that has any kind of stature has at least one seal on his armor. My question is what do these seals mean, on top of that, usually there only painted white with black or brown writing on them. Do these seals come in different colors? Where in the fluff does it mention the meaning behind the seals?

Just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Generally, I believe those are meant to be 'Purity Seals' and once served a purpose as a wargear item, but are now just a bit of detail and fluff. I imagine that there are prayers and scripture written on them, designed to encourage and discipline the warrior wearing them. As for the colors, well, it would really depend on your preferences. They usually come in an ivory/bone color, but that is not really necessary. Whatever works for you and your chosen color scheme for your models will do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, those are purity seals. All they really are is a little piece of writing saying "praise the emperor" or "burn the heretic". They don't really have any meaning other than inspiring a little bit of zeal in a squad that has them. They are usually painted white because that's the color that paper is, with writing in an ink like color. If you could come up with a good reason for them to be another color that would be cool too.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Yes, purity seals are tiny shards of paper with prayers or sigils on them. Standard Tactical brethren may just have a single quote, but Masters or Chaplains can have entire chapters printed onto seals.

If you don't like paper, I painted my Word Bearers to have skin "purity" seals.

-Dirge

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty much any marine model in 40k that has any kind of stature has at least one seal on his armor. My question is what do these seals mean, on top of that, usually there only painted white with black or brown writing on them. Do these seals come in different colors? Where in the fluff does it mention the meaning behind the seals?

Just a thought.....
isnt that their oath of moment, or something like that?

in the HH series they say that before battle they take an oath to their battle brothers to fight and kill in the name of the emperor and other more specific things depending on the instances...something along those lines any way

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
yeah, the oath of moment is a fairly common practice among certain warrior cultures. the black templars indicate this oath by securing their weapons to their hands with chains or purity seals. this indicates that they will not put down their weapons until victory is acheived. among the other chapters, there doesn't seem to be an overriding purpose to purity seals. an oath of moment would seem to be a logical reason to sport the seals, as would those reasons already mentioned. to be honest, you could write in into the fluff of your chapter if you're doing a diy....might make a unique bit of backstory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The oaths of the moment were a Luna Wolves/ Sons of Horus thing before the Horus Heresy. I'm pretty sure it was exclusive to them, as for the bits on the models I agree that they probably are just prayers and/or talismans normally. If you wanted to denote a purity seal make it look a little different from the others in your army ie. you normally paint them red wax/ white paper try golden wax/ silver paper for purity seals.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't purity seals give your models some sort of re-roll in something. Thats what my freind says.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The oaths of the moment were a Luna Wolves/ Sons of Horus thing before the Horus Heresy. I'm pretty sure it was exclusive to them, as for the bits on the models I agree that they probably are just prayers and/or talismans normally. If you wanted to denote a purity seal make it look a little different from the others in your army ie. you normally paint them red wax/ white paper try golden wax/ silver paper for purity seals.
I've lurked here for a while but thought I'd answer this.

Oaths of the moment were made by other legions in the Horus Heresy books. One is made by a non Sons of Horus astartes in 'Flight of the Eisenstein'. I won't go into further details in case it spoils the book.

I'm sure I've read about a 40k era marine having bundles of old oath papers in his locker or something along those lines. Seems to be a general concept.

·
Registered
154 Posts
While I may not be correct, I always liked to think of them as medals won for feats of valor, sort of like a bronze or silver star in current military terms. And that the prayers or such on them are rewards to make a Marine better, as well as giving others motivation to earn that honor.

At least thats my justification for having them on my Sergeants and other random battle brothers that I like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts