Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I suppose the obvious question is why not use Forge World's Horus Heresy books?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Aye they are expensive. However, the majority of the stuff you want is in Betrayal. There is like 1-2 units in Massacre but I don't think there is anything in Extermination for SoH.

Failing that, SM seems like an obvious choice. I'd probably go blood angels since they favoured rapid strikes and combat?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Too expensive and I heard the rules for the models is spread out over all of the book.
Then you've heard wrong.

The legion army list, which is then followed by special rules, can be found between pages 184 and 240. That is then followed by the additional rules for the Sons of Horus (pages 244 through 249), World Eaters, Emperors Children, and Death Guard.

The first 140 or so pages of the book are background and fluff, the next 40 belong to campaigns and zone mortalis, and almost everything after that is army list, rules, and additional rules/units for the four legions of the book. (I believe there is also a Mechanicum list at the end.)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I agree with Deus, doing it out of the BA dex would be pretty good for the fast vehicles. I would sooner peruse the long list of Chapter Tactics that FW put out and find the one that suited the Lunar Wolves the best and play them out of the SM codex. My reasons for this being the BA dex offers fast vehicles to LWs while the SM dex offers them everything else space marine and at a lower points cost for most of the standard troops.

Aren't the Heresy books only meant to be used against other 30k armies? I feel like I read somewhere on the FW site that 30k books were for 30k games, and that the rules weren't meant to cross over properly.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The first Heresy book Betrayal contains the complete Crusade army list. You can build a pre heresy legion just from the first book. It also contains additional rules for specific legions, in this case the Sons of Horus, Emperors Children, Death Guard and World Eaters.

Given it's the first book with the crusade era army list and that the chaotic rot hasn't yet set in the Sons of Horus list would be perfect to represent a Luna Wolves force.

If you don't want to use forgeworld books then the 6th edition Codex Space Marines would be perfectly fine to use. You might want to avoid some post heresy equipment like razorbacks and such though. As for doctrines use the Ultramarine's as it represents the Luna Wolves considering themselves the best legion.

In terms of list composition the Luna Wolves favored spearhead attacks involving orbital assaults and had a large contingent of terminators. They liked to close in with their enemy and use wolf pack tactics.

·
Registered
480 Posts
HH or youre doing it wrong. This is the legitimate Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus codex. Apparently HH is midtier vs 40K.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Or you could just run the Luna Wolves as a proper 40k Astartes chapter, inventing your own fluff to justify their existence. Sorta sounded like that's what you wanted to do in the first place, no?

Blood Angels, as suggested, could be nice. I think White Scars are pretty badass (hit and run), but anything could work... depends what special rules you prefer.

Or if your gaming group is cool using 30k rules in 40k, then I suppose nothing is stopping you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts