Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Which of the first founding would fall the Imperium first?

• Ultramarines

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Salamanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raven Guard

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Iron Hands

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Dark Angels

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Blood Angels

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Space Wolves

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Imperial Fists

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Scars

Votes: 2 2.2%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to poll and see what people thought which of the loyal legions that are now chapters would be the most likely to turn to chaos if tempted enough into doing so.

In the "real" :grin: 40k world... I would say that none of these chapters would fall to chaos as they have their primarchs names to uphold. But lets say out of pure fluff that the inquisition went to far, the civilians of the Imperium were able to get more and more voice and therefore continuously bashed the astartes (riots, astartes statue and memorial defacing), the astartes were more and more put under control through the Imperial politicians, leader, and etc. Basically the remaining loyal chapters that were once legion being attacked and disgraced by Imperium they defended. What do you guys think would be the first legion to fall to chaos.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to go with Ultramarines.

The Ultramarines have the most accomplisments than any other chapter. Therefore, I said that the Ultramarines have more to lose if the Imperium turned their back on them. Their pride, their monuments, their victories, and heroes reduced to a pile of ruble. Therefore I said that the Ultramarines would be hurt the most and therefore turn to chaos.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I go Dark Angels because half of them already have. :)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
(You knew I'd end up posting if only to defend the Ultramarines :biggrin:)

My initial thought was the Dark Angels because a large number of them have actually done so under the leadership of Luther, but I thought a bit more about it and realised that the fact that they're so driven to expunge that part of the Legion's history and redeem thmeselves in the Emperor's eyes probably means they're very unlikely to fall again.

So I went with the Blood Angels- of all the loyalist Legions/First Founding Chapters they walk the closest to the chaotic abyss, will-power and a sense of humility can only do so much. Eventually I can imagine them giving into their dark side and releasing the beast within.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I say blood angels because they already have but are too stupid to know it.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I say the Iron Hands. They already have a bad reputation out of the first founding because of their abhorrence to flesh. They therefore would not be the easiest but possibly the most likely to turn against the imperium by declaring it too fleshy and not cyborg enough.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, the Dark Angels already have a very 'dark' soul, they certainly follow their own agenda and whether or not they are actually already a fallen chapter or not is debated. The SW and BA certainly have heretic like mutations which could well lead them to be cast down by the inquisition but I recon both have an honest/honourable streak which means they would never turn to chaos...

·
Registered
118 Posts
space wolves. Theyre already degenerate abhumans who follow a superstitious outlawed faith. they refuse to cooperate with requests for purity checks, and are loath to submit geneseed. if the ecclesiarchy had its way, they would already be "cleansed".

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
They already tried once and gave up. The wolves would never turn to chaos.... they are fiercely independent but they are still, arguably, the most loyal chapter.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
BA. They are practically on the way to khornate worship already. Bit too much rage and madness in that chapter methinks. Good point about the DA and the fact that they have had a go at it already. The IF fixation on pain is a bit of a worry but not too bad yet. The wolves might be a bit mental but they are loyal for the most part(we wont talk about the bullshit that appaears in the latest chaos codex).
The iron hands Imust defend however. They are one of the most staunchly loyal chapters there are. There was no question of them turning during the HH and what they lost during the heresy still drives them. I would back them to be loyal over most chapters.

·
Registered
323 Posts
BA Will only be a matter of time before they fall

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think BA are most likely, but not very. The set-up of the timeline shows constant war, which is enough to feed the BA. If there was a time of actual peace i could see the Blood God offering them blood.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are certainly arguments towards the Blood Angels, they are certainly on a path towards it. However Dante, amongst others of the upper leadership does a good job keeping the more feral aspects of the chapter in line so as long as at least one member remains as devoted as Dante the chapter will stay on track for the emperor.

The Space Wolves on the other hand are staunchly independent but would NEVER fall to chaos, they may be cast out of the imperium, but they will never fall to Khorne or any other chaos for that matter.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
As much as they are my favorite chapter I have to go with the Dark Angels. They are dark & brooding and their all consuming quest for revenge could easily be turned to chaos, if it hasn't already been turned. Added to that they already have a history of disregard for, if not outright dismissel of, Imperial authority in the persuit of their own agenda. Plus the possiblity of chaos taint lingering on The Rock. Where as other chapters have genetic flaws the DA's flaws are in their charater.

I also have to come to the defence of the UMs. Even if, as in the example in the OP, the Imperium turned against the Ultramarines they would stand strong in the defence, and have the support, of Ultramar. There's no real evidence of any tendences toward choas or the overweening pride to push them towards chaos in the UMs charater or moral make up.

·
Registered
941 Posts
soul drinkers, DUH! (crap, not on the poll!)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The soul drinkers haven't gone to chaos. They are just renegades.

·
Registered
941 Posts
exactly, so they'd be the "most likly" to go to chaos, as they are renegades!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts