Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking about the upcoming Eldar Codex that is being released and getting very Hyped about it, and it made me think will I enjoy it, will it live up to my expectations and then I thought how would I go about writing a Codex if I was GW and came up with the following ideas to how I would go about it

I would look to the Main Eldar Guys to help write the Codex as backup but put someone fresh into the mix like *Cough* Matt Ward *Cough* but use the other guys to balance out his rules so that he didn’t go totally OTT and change the core to much (Any new writer would do, was just in a Matt Ward post prior so his name is stuck in my head... :laugh:)

I would then look at the extensive Knowledge and Talent within the Black Library to work with these guys to write the fluff for the Codex as that is what these guys do for a living after all, and not to mention put a couple of short stories within the book to give it more depth

Finally I would look at getting a tactical section within here as well, nothing to drastic, just some basics, so new people to the army, hobby have a core starting point they can use to learn some basics for the army.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Ring Binders so that rule amendments and errata can be issued as a "drop in" page.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Nah, Bitz just hadn't had his regular afternoon Donkey Testicle Tea and Ass Arse Biscuit yet.

I'd have a Closed Beta. Some stuff would get released, but a dedicated Team would be able to locate such information and either judge who the author of the leak was (planted fake info, for example), but also have it based on the findings of the top tournament winning teams.

I'd have a dedicated research team who do their best to search EVERY little nuance of the fluff that's produced to improve correlation with the BL stuff.

Improve correlation between Tournaments; similar to how some tournaments are set up in this day and age to scout for talent, GW should do the same instead of being an Old-Boys club.

Have official regularly updated tournament balancing schema's, similar to what goes around in Fantasy providing Comp-Score boosts or penalties IAW army build.

All of that would go well towards creating a fairer future of Codexes without coming across as so balanced it's a fancy way of playing chess, but without it being as Binary as Rock Paper Scissors like it can be now.

Greater integration with all subsidiaries; such as Black Library or Forge World.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd not let Mat Ward write the fluff. His rules aren't that bad, but favoritism is definitely prevalent in his fluff work. For example, I never paid the Raven Guard any mind because no one cared, it was all Ultramundanes, Spess vampires, spess furries, and I-win-40k-forever-always knights, but now that I've read about the Raven Guard they seem to be my favorite loyalist legion.

That being said, I'd like to see some other interesting Imperial Guard Regiments given more time, like the Athonian Tunnel Rats or Karnak Skull Takers. I'd also love it if we could stop thoroughly killing/retconning Sisters of Battle fluff every other year. But now I'm just being petty.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
More 'see page 64' etc. for unit special rules and wargear, so that the back-and-forth reading is a bit more user friendly.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I like the idea of conversion ideas and support for new players. I would also do alot of playtesting, I would also print FAQs into future prints of the codex

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Sample army lists by the codex writers and such would be nice. It would encourage people to have a starting point short of GWs standard 'get the battleforce and a hq'. Plus I'd be more inclined to start new armies if I had a nice starting point.
Maybe a: this unit is good at such and such or something. That would help new players immensely.

Vanilla Marine dex equal balance to the various chapters would be nice. Or just shove Ultra into their own god damned book and be done with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now this will not happen or not anytime soon or unless they have a total change of policy anyway but I would like a CD in each codex or a serial number to a virtual codex you can have on your PC/ Tablet etc

Wishful thinking I know but had this with some old AD&D books and thought it was a nice addition

Also on the disc you could have an army specific army builder for your codex

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'd have Matt Ward fired.
Nah I'd be happy with his writing privileges revoked.

I'd leave the space marines as the poster boys of GW making them easy to play since most new players are going to play space marines.

However I'd put a higher diversity into the codex instead of every fucking space marine be an ultra marine I would spread it out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A few things: Beta testing beyond the office, feedback from tournament circles and more feedback and tweaks.

First thing is self explanatory: too many things in codexes are junk do to poor rules or costing. If gw want us to buy more make sure everything has use.

Second look at what shows up in competative play and use that to balance factions. There shouldnt be a power list to win with if point one is given more consideration.

Finally if they cant do 1 or 2, what really gets me is the lack of support for a codex once it is released. I would like to see points costs and rules being constantly tweaked between FAQ and WD's or even the website.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
First thing i'd do is sort out Matt Ward's favouritism towards certain chapters, as someone mentioned earlier...I don't actually mind the guy at all (seeing how passionate he gets about smurfs in interviews is quite amusing), it's just the blatant favouritism that irks me.

Actually, that's not the first thing i'd do: The first i'd do is sort out the allies matrix to make it actually fit with fluff better. Then i'd release certain Chaos chapters/warbands as individual codex's, or at least expand on the chaos codex to include new units for each: Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Emperors Children and World Eaters, possibly Night Lords too...They all have so much potential far beyond those cult troops/elites. I don't mind the new chaos codex, but it lacks imagination IMO.

Also, release Adeptus Mechanicus codex. Re-release Lost and the Damned. Release a Pirate/Merc/Rogue Trader codex. Expand Tau codex allies to include Gue'vesa auxiliaries, possibly retcon to get Squats back (or incorporate into new Imperial Guard codex). Release a much needed new Sisters codex with plastic models for all.

Release a decent 40k animated series (haha yeah right).

Scrap or at least re-think finecast.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Waaay more variety in the troops selection. Two or three (occasionally just one) choices just frustrates me at times. I mean, it's the section with the most slots on the foc, why not give us a choice of what to fill them up with?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Waaay more variety in the troops selection. Two or three (occasionally just one) choices just frustrates me at times. I mean, it's the section with the most slots on the foc, why not give us a choice of what to fill them up with?
Those are good points.

To add to that I'd like to see more "unlock" characters so that armies might become a bit more fluffy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts