Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Unless the techmarine can go on a bike, don't bother - put in a Bike Chaplain instead. That way they can jink. Yes. Jinking Terminators.

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Can be read either way.

If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn.
Can either be read as "all models in the unit" with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover, or all models in the unit "with this special rule gain the 4+".

If you don't want to be a dick, don't do it, but I think it's a pretty fucking hilarious intentional misreading. It works both ways, and I didn't notice that way of reading until it was pointed out to me it could be, because I expected it to be only the model.

It's clear that the rules writers didn't actually think of how else it could be construed so never changed it, but RAW it works, if only because being wilfully "misread".

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
You have got to be joking!
Can either be read as "all models in the unit" with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover, or all models in the unit "with this special rule gain the 4+".

No!
It can only be read as:
all models in the unit with the special rule gain the +4

Not
all models in the unit, with the special rule gain the +4

Punctuation has meaning. In this case it mean you can't reinterpret rules to do something ridiculous like say that a terminator can jink just because there is a bike in the proximity.
You seem to be under the misapprehension that GW knows what they're doing.

{all models in the unit} with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover

all models in the {unit with the special rule} gain the 4+ Cover

Both equally readable options. No-one plays it like that, and I don't recommend it, as it breaks other rules, such as the aforementioned Doomscythe.

There is no punctuation which is precisely what allows that reading. It is either all models in the unit gain the 4+ if it has the special rule, or all models with the special rule in the unit gain the benefit of the rule.

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Ok. For arguments sake lets leave the English out of it and just use common sense. Terminators cannot jink!
Jink is a term used to describe dodging with a vehicle. Terminators are infrantry
Tactical Dreadnaught armour is very heavy armour preventing the users freedom of movement. ie it can't jink
Common Sense and RAW are not on speaking terms. And if we were playing by fluff, then we'd be playing Codex; Movie Marines. Neither is it a rule to describe dodging with a vehicle - it's a rule for Bikes, Jetbikes and Flying Monstrous Creatures in addition to not-Heavy Skimmers, and Flyers. In fact, more non-vehicles make use of the rule.

And sure, lets leave out the language of the game we're playing. I know, lets play it with Wingdings! What sense does it make that a single character who is stealthy mean that it can stealth an entire squad? What sense is there in;

Acute Senses
Adamantium Will
ATSKNF

just to name 3, that apply to the rest of the unit?

Compare the wording for Jink and Deep Strike; "in order for a unit to be able to deep strike, all models in the unit must have the Deep Strike special rule and the unit must start in reserve."

The intention is for the unit to be able to make a jink, but only for certain people (i.e those models with the Jink rule) to gain the Cover Save. The wording potentially doesn't support that. We all know what it's "meant to say", but that's not "what" it actually says. Hence the comment "about an intentional misreading".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.