Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know Guard blobs are a brilliant place to put buff characters.

What are the most ridiculous, silly, or brutal combos you can think of?

1. Melee Guard
DA: Azrael
BA: Chaplain, Sanguinary Priest
IG: 50 Guardsmen, Power Axes on the Sergeants
=I=: Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with Rad Grenades and Psychotroke Grenades

50 Fearless Guardsmen with 4++, Hatred and Feel No Pain giving out -1 Toughness and a random debuff in the first round of combat.

2. Anvil
IG: 50 Guardsmen, 5 Lascannons, 5 Plasma Guns
=I=: Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with Mastery 1 and Psyocculum
Dataslate: Cypher

50 Guardsmen with heavy weapons and special weapons, with Shrouded, Hit and Run, Prescience and BS10 against any unit containing a Psyker.

3. Whack-a-mole
IG: 50 Guardsmen with 5 Flamers
GK: Draigo
DA: Belial
SM: White Scars Techmarine

50 Guardsmen with some flamers who Deep Strike with no scatter every turn, with Hit and Run from the Techmarine to try and ensure they can jump away every turn. Yes, this is a joke unit. But it's AWESOME.

4. Angry Guardsmen
IG: 50 Guardsmen with Power Axes on Sergeants
BA: Enough Librarians to get Unleash Rage from the BA table
GK: Brotherhood Champion (could use a Librarian to save points - he's only here for Hammerhand - but that'd stop you being able to Sweeping Advance)
=I=: Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with Liber Hereticus, Rad Grenades and Psychotroke Grenades
Daemons: Skarbrand

So you get your 50 dudes. You put Skarbrand further than 6" away but within 24" to give them all Rage and Hatred but avoiding One Eye Open. The BA Librarians cast Unleash Rage, giving them +1 attack. BroChamp casts Hammerhand taking them to Str5 (6 on the Sergeants). The Inquisitor takes your opponent down -1 Toughness + Psychotroke debuff. They kill 55 Marines on the charge.

That's all I got. How silly can you be, Heretics?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless the techmarine can go on a bike, don't bother - put in a Bike Chaplain instead. That way they can jink. Yes. Jinking Terminators.
Are you sure that Jink applies across from models that don't have it? I don't have my rulebook on me, but that's huge if it's the case. I chose a Techmarine simply because he's the cheapest Imperial character with Hit and Run, to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Can be read either way.

If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn.
Can either be read as "all models in the unit" with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover, or all models in the unit "with this special rule gain the 4+".

If you don't want to be a dick, don't do it, but I think it's a pretty fucking hilarious intentional misreading. It works both ways, and I didn't notice that way of reading until it was pointed out to me it could be, because I expected it to be only the model.

It's clear that the rules writers didn't actually think of how else it could be construed so never changed it, but RAW it works, if only because being wilfully "misread".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you play it that way, you have to accept the reading that the Doom Scythe does a Str10 AP2 hit on every model in every unit hit by the Death Ray.

But it would be totally worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unless the techmarine can go on a bike, don't bother - put in a Bike Chaplain instead. That way they can jink. Yes. Jinking Terminators.

You have got to be joking!
Can either be read as "all models in the unit" with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover, or all models in the unit "with this special rule gain the 4+".

No!
It can only be read as:
all models in the unit with the special rule gain the +4

Not
all models in the unit, with the special rule gain the +4

Punctuation has meaning. In this case it mean you can't reinterpret rules to do something ridiculous like say that a terminator can jink just because there is a bike in the proximity.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
You have got to be joking!

No!
It can only be read as:
all models in the unit with the special rule gain the +4

Not
all models in the unit, with the special rule gain the +4

Punctuation has meaning. In this case it mean you can't reinterpret rules to do something ridiculous like say that a terminator can jink just because there is a bike in the proximity.
You seem to be under the misapprehension that GW knows what they're doing.

{all models in the unit} with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover

all models in the {unit with the special rule} gain the 4+ Cover

Both equally readable options. No-one plays it like that, and I don't recommend it, as it breaks other rules, such as the aforementioned Doomscythe.

There is no punctuation which is precisely what allows that reading. It is either all models in the unit gain the 4+ if it has the special rule, or all models with the special rule in the unit gain the benefit of the rule.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
You seem to be under the misapprehension that GW knows what they're doing.

{all models in the unit} with the special rule gain the 4+ Cover

all models in the {unit with the special rule} gain the 4+ Cover

Both equally readable options. No-one plays it like that, and I don't recommend it, as it breaks other rules, such as the aforementioned Doomscythe.

There is no punctuation which is precisely what allows that reading. It is either all models in the unit gain the 4+ if it has the special rule, or all models with the special rule in the unit gain the benefit of the rule.

Ok. For arguments sake lets leave the English out of it and just use common sense. Terminators cannot jink!
Jink is a term used to describe dodging with a vehicle. Terminators are infrantry
Tactical Dreadnaught armour is very heavy armour preventing the users freedom of movement. ie it can't jink

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Jink bullshit aside, those are some tough blobs. I have been enjoying playing Azrael in a 30 man Guard blob for some time, and Rad Grenades combined with Power Axes is great fun. The look on your opponent's face when they lose combat to Guardsmen is always priceless.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Ok. For arguments sake lets leave the English out of it and just use common sense. Terminators cannot jink!
Jink is a term used to describe dodging with a vehicle. Terminators are infrantry
Tactical Dreadnaught armour is very heavy armour preventing the users freedom of movement. ie it can't jink
Common Sense and RAW are not on speaking terms. And if we were playing by fluff, then we'd be playing Codex; Movie Marines. Neither is it a rule to describe dodging with a vehicle - it's a rule for Bikes, Jetbikes and Flying Monstrous Creatures in addition to not-Heavy Skimmers, and Flyers. In fact, more non-vehicles make use of the rule.

And sure, lets leave out the language of the game we're playing. I know, lets play it with Wingdings! What sense does it make that a single character who is stealthy mean that it can stealth an entire squad? What sense is there in;

Acute Senses
Adamantium Will
ATSKNF

just to name 3, that apply to the rest of the unit?

Compare the wording for Jink and Deep Strike; "in order for a unit to be able to deep strike, all models in the unit must have the Deep Strike special rule and the unit must start in reserve."

The intention is for the unit to be able to make a jink, but only for certain people (i.e those models with the Jink rule) to gain the Cover Save. The wording potentially doesn't support that. We all know what it's "meant to say", but that's not "what" it actually says. Hence the comment "about an intentional misreading".

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those are some pretty hilarious blobs. I especially like the one with 4++ and FNP. However I would swap the chaplain for IG priests to re-roll the 4++ ;).

Perfect gate blob is especially silly, although my god you are asking to get murdered by templates. I can't think of any significant advantages over a centurion star.

Cypher however... that's amazing! A bit expensive but ATSKNF, shrouded and hit & run are huge for a blob. Gotta keep those lasguns firing! Although as you mentioned a 60pt white scars librarian gets you almost just as much, the important stuff anyway.

The skaarbrand trick is definitely the cleverest. However I think rage is wasted. It's almost always better to get a round of extra lasgun/lascannon fire in, plus a round of overwatch instead of charging. Charging opens yourself up to reduced damage output because most of your attacks are coming in at i3 and i1.

I personally love the golden standard. Yes you can specialize but since so many points are going to be sunk into the unit, it needs the ability to take on anything:

50 Infantry: 5 lascannons, 5 flamers, 3 power axes, 5 melta bombs
2 Priests
Yarrick
Any divination psyker(s) except primaris so they don't get executed by Yarrick.

You've got 3.75 ignores cover lascannon hits. You can even get tank/monster hunter in there as well if you rolled the ignores cover power. Unless it's a superheavy, you're most likely killing a tank per turn. This does require ~6 mastery levels in your army to pull off reliably though.

For assault output, you've got plenty. 2 priests give you a very good chance of re-rolling hits and wounds. Plenty of ap2 to kill any heavy infantry, enough melta bombs to kill a knight and a couple sergeants to sacrifice to challenges.

As for survivability, you can use the priests to re-roll your 4++ (from divination or azrael) for the most excellent tarpit. The flamers are mandatory for their overwatch. Just wait until you cast both prescience and full bs overwatch. Not many units can survive all that fire on the charge.

Some variations:

Azrael instead of Yarrick, although you'll need to get your orders elsewhere.

Grenade inquisitor as the psyker is pretty self explanatory.

The best use for a blob in my opinion? Bubble wrapping av14 tanks of course! Drop pod marines get very sad when they have to chew through 50-100 guardsmen before getting into melta range.

The moral of this post? Infantry blobs LOVE divination. The massive model and weapon count in conjunction with orders gets the most benefit out of those buffs so stack 'em high!

Sadly I don't have anything silly or new to add myself. Just wanted to extol the virtues of the "standard" load out.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perfect gate blob is especially silly, although my god you are asking to get murdered by templates. I can't think of any significant advantages over a centurion star.
Yep, Templates ruin you, as do good armies.

Cypher however... that's amazing! A bit expensive but ATSKNF, shrouded and hit & run are huge for a blob. Gotta keep those lasguns firing! Although as you mentioned a 60pt white scars librarian gets you almost just as much, the important stuff anyway.
Shrouded's the huge one, to be honest. ATSKNF and Hit and Run are just nice buffs to have as well.

The skaarbrand trick is definitely the cleverest. However I think rage is wasted. It's almost always better to get a round of extra lasgun/lascannon fire in, plus a round of overwatch instead of charging. Charging opens yourself up to reduced damage output because most of your attacks are coming in at i3 and i1.
Well yeah, but your half naked Kanak Skull Takers regiment armed with axes and rocks aren't going to want to shoot the lasguns that the Munitorum gave them when they can charge and be strictly more awesome.

The moral of this post? Infantry blobs LOVE divination. The massive model and weapon count in conjunction with orders gets the most benefit out of those buffs so stack 'em high!
Not wanting to sound rude, but we kinda already know Guard blobs are good and have been really good since the start of 6th. Attaching a Divination psyker, a Leadership buffer and a Priest is good, sure, but everybody knows that it's good and you stick it down and be obnoxious and shoot bullets at people. That's pretty boring, in my book. 50 Guardsmen with Str5 Rage and Hatred charging you (using Chaos Marauder models with Flails for extra lulz) is way cooler.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weirdly, it's my least favourite purely because it took almost less than no effort to put in. You take the obviously great buff characters from the Imperium and put them in a squad. Blah blah blah.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
It's definitely not as clever as the other combinations, but it feels very...I don't know, thematic to me when I play my Deathwing and Guard army with Azrael leading the massive horde of Guardsmen against whatever and Terminators DS'ing in aided by Servo Skulls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts