Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

what brand of paints do you usually buy?

• GW Paints (All types)

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Vallejo Game Color

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Vallejo Model Color

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Privateer P3 Paints

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • The Foundry Paints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reaper Paints

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Army Painter Paints

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Apple Barrel (Walmart)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in thread!)

Votes: 3 6.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the question arises - what brand of paints do you usually buy/use?

I'm just doing a light gauge of the overall 'paint' demographic out there to see the variety of what people use!

I use both VGC and GW paints mainly myself.

Not exactly asking for which paints are 'better' but more of a tally.
However if you would like to voice your oppinion on why you love the paint you use - feel free!

Statistically speaking.. i guess if enough people 'whine' that a certain paint sucks... then it probably near sucks?

No clue! Just keep it clean (its just paint after all!)
And lets discuss!

I overall love Vallejo, due to its near same coloration as GW paints except just with the dropper bottle itself.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
I voted "Other", as I use Delta Ceramacoat paints (As that's what the local store stocks...lol).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
GW paints in pots.All sorts.
Army Painter sprays for priming or large area painting/base-coating,for example tanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i use GW paints, washes and foundations... i use the black pieces to board spray paint from Pegasus for a primer :) cheaper, more paint in the can and i find that the GW paints adhere better to it then GW's primer

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like P3 paints. Its a nice range of colours, and I like that I can water them down a lot and still get good colour.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I stick to GW, most of their paint is pretty good, but the washes and metalics are just amazing, if a bit expencive.

One word of advice though: Never bother with the GW spray primers, $15 for somthing you can get anywhere else for 2!

·
Registered
290 Posts
i use the vallejo ones mainly, but i use GW as well. i love the coverage and the smooth matt finish of the vallejo, but i still use all my GW metallics, nothing is quite like boltgun metal for me.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
MP paints, large pots and better coverage than GW paints and cheaper at half the cost.

use GW washes though, not much else around apart from that shitty army painter dip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like Vallejo, but GW are a lot easier to get for me. It really just depends on how far I feel like going when I need the paints. Or what paints I need when I decide to go to certain shops :D

I tend to prefer Vallejo, but not enough to want to travel toooo far to get them.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I'm just about to start learning how to paint properly, going brush shopping tomorrow actually. I'm getting lessons off a guy in my local area, and so far I've bought a whole heap of GW paints for my Urban IG, which although I haven't used yet, I'm excited to start using. I wouldn't mind checking out the Vallajo range though as well, as I've been told they're pretty good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have probably 70 pots of Vallejo Model, and 30+ from the Game line. I also use a lot of the GW foundation and washes.

Have yet to try the P3 or others.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I find it interesting that so many people use GW paints. Not that they are poor quality or anything like that, but they are just so expensive. But I guess its a lot easier to find them then others, at least I know it is for me in Toronto.

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
I use anything and everything that looks like it'll work good: GW, Reaper Master Series, P3 and Testors/Polly's are all on my work bench

·