Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking more out of curiosity then anything else really. I am planning on making a canon fluff chapter eventually at some point but that's a long time away, haven't even finished my Grail Knights yet lol

so anyway I was wondering what are the most knight like chapters, like they have coat of arms,Shields,lances,wear great helmet like ornements on there helmet, have honour duels, uphold honour,take vows etc stuff like that

I know of
Grey Knights
Black Templars
Astral Knights
Fire Hawks
Novamarines(I believe)
Celestial Lions

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Asking more out of curiosity then anything else really. I am planning on making a canon fluff chapter eventually at some point but that's a long time away, haven't even finished my Grail Knights yet lol

so anyway I was wondering what are the most knight like chapters, like they have coat of arms,Shields,lances,wear great helmet like ornements on there helmet, have honour duels, uphold honour,take vows etc stuff like that

I know of
Grey Knights
Black Templars
Astral Knights
Fire Hawks
Novamarines(I believe)
Celestial Lions

You've pretty much already beat me to it with your list, but I'd push the Black Templars as the most knightly of the lot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
By far the most 'knighty' is definitely the Iron Knights - their champion, Hervald Strom has one the feast of blades consecutively - their insignia and paint scheme are also very medieval knight-esque

·
Registered
278 Posts
Novamarines are not especially knight like. They cover their bodies in tattoos and very closely adhere to the codex astartes. Of the books I have read about them - notably Death of Integrity - I did not get the impression that they were relatable to knights, swords or even close quarters combat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I got them mixed up with a Chapter that's the howling griffens I think?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wouldnt say the current crop of Dark Angels is very knightlike. Sure calban was full of knightly orders, but it never sunk into the legion.

The black templars. You cant come closer with an initiate taking a scout as his squire. As well their whole hieracy and beliefs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? I see the DA as monks lol The Black Templars have to based on the crusaders obviously lol

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
They're based on the old Teutonic knightly orders, much like the BTs, so they most definitely should be on there.
This is true, based on the teutonic knights, as the original concept but to me, the D.A are more like monks/priests as the main course with some knightly sauce as a dip on the side

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Really? I see the DA as monks lol
Check out the HH novels about their Primarch, their history entirely comes from Knightly Orders. Chances are you'd really dig it. I wasn't much a fan at first but they were really good reads.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean modern day 999.41 DA, not the PH and HH DA. Back then in the great crusade that was different but now there all secretive and only care about hunting down the fallen, don't strike me as knights

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Looking over the fluff half of their Codex would confirm it as well but if it feels off to you then that's that. They're totally knightly though, what about Deathwing Knights and Ravenwing Black Knights?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ravenwings are a bit different. they wear the orginal color sheme of the DA when they were knights and ride bikes which are supposed to be Horses from Calaban.

Deathwing, not really from appreance wise but am not an expert on them

·
Registered
112 Posts
Black Templar FTW.

Dark Angel as close second.

Grey knight come in a tie with the Iron Knights third, but only because by comparison, because there is so little fluff about the IK.

Celestial Lion are definitely "african tribes style",

·
Registered
278 Posts
Grey knight come in a tie with the Iron Knights third, but only because by comparison, because there is so little fluff about the IK.

I for one believe that the Iron Knights - from what little I've been able to see and read - are the top, however I agree in saying that they lack fluff and evidence to further back this up other than their consecutive wins of the Feast of Blades (Hervald Strom) and colour scheme/name.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think it really depends on what you are hailing as 'knightly'.

Are we talking Hollywood film 'knight in shining armour' protect the innocent and slay the wicked chivalry?

Then I would put forth an argument that the Salamanders should be considered in that aspect. They have their own order and 'code', and fit then more romanticized dedication to the protection of the innocent that knights have in film.

If we are talking they just look like the stereotypical hollywood 'knight' then there are a number of chapters that fit that bill. My personal favourites being the Grey Knights (can't beat the shiney silver armour with the pious warrior dedicated to a truly epic cause) or the Black Templars.

If we are talking a more historical side of elite nobility that was full of political backstabbing, secrets, more secrets, and a snobbish tendency to quit the field of battle when it suited them- then the Dark Angels all the way. :grin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts