Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as I started my Warhammer life in 40k with Chaos Space Marines, I have been looking towards restarting. I lost my Chaos army which was badly painted, I lost my converted Preadtor (Made out of a Chaos Rhino and the turret of a IG Chimera I had previously bought but then decided not to follow). But my feelings towards them have fallen, and although my feelings towards the new improved Blood Angels has grown enough for me to buy the Space Marine Codex + Blood Angels codex I am still very fond of the WH.

I've always liked the lore behind them, I kind of saw them as, and pardon this, as gun blazing, tough, big breasted lesbians who liked to purge and slay anything that annoyed them. While I also found the Penitent Engine a bit disturbing, it was very dark for such "Light bearing" army.

However, my problem which has always stopped me from buying them has been as follows. 1. Their army is pretty boring, while they have nice units, which I believe were called "freak show" units, ie the Sister Repenta, most of these models are pants and not worth the points. This annoys me a lot as I wonder why they are there in the first place if they are so bad. 2. Not a lot of "unique" units, they have the Penitent Engine and Lord Karamazov on the Throne of Judgement, but everything else is just different versions of other races models, at least in my eyes. 3. They are basiclly all metal, in fact, I think they are all metal, this not only makes them a pain to convert (since I'm a noob) and paint well (I suck) they also become more expensive due to the machine and material used.

So my question is, do you think there will be a major update for WH any time soon? By that I mean new models, old ones turned into plastic and an actual codex being released. I mean a start would to sell a box of 15 plastic Battle Sisters and go from there. I really enjoy them in DoW and find them a pretty unique army and idea (Just not the model designs as such... hard to explain). Since GW seem to wait ages to update anything and prefer to keep adding to the most popular ranges (then again, who wouldn't) they start to alienate those who wish to stray from the massess and do something different. So if you could help me with those questions and try not to flame me for my critsisms, I would be very grateful :) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've always liked the lore behind them, I kind of saw them as, and pardon this, as gun blazing, tough, big breasted lesbians who liked to purge and slay anything that annoyed them. While I also found the Penitent Engine a bit disturbing, it was very dark for such "Light bearing" army.

Hm... It's an all-female army, so they must be gay.

That's some cast-iron logic you have there...

Ye gods of old Rome.

Anyway, you don't like the lore behind them. The Penitent engine is exactly who and what the army is - in fact, it's one of the nicer fates available to an enemy of the church. The sisters of Battle are bad people. they are cruel, exacting, vindictive and dark. They don't purge and slay anyone who annoys them, whatever that means.

Their three enemies are Witchcraft, Heresy and Mutation. The penalty for any of them is death, not only of the guilty, but of everyone around the guilty. They prosecute the church's wars of faith and will put cities, or worlds, to the torch for thoughtcrimes. They believe that pain is good for the soul.

'The question is not how to separate the innocent from the guilty. The question is how many can I burn.'

If you want light bearers, try Ultramarines, Salamanders or Tau.

But to specifically answer your questions:

1. Their army is pretty boring, while they have nice units, which I believe were called "freak show" units, ie the Sister Repenta, most of these models are pants and not worth the points. This annoys me a lot as I wonder why they are there in the first place if they are so bad.

Codex Witch Hunters was released as an Advertisement for GW's then-new Inquisitor 54mm game. It was a half-arsed throw-together codex written, not to be good, but to remind everyone that the Inquisition existed in the setting. GW never really wanted anyone to play the army and wish we'd all just go away.

2. Not a lot of "unique" units, they have the Penitent Engine and Lord Karamazov on the Throne of Judgement, but everything else is just different versions of other races models, at least in my eyes.

Appart from Rhinos I can't think of a single Battle sister unit that is shared by another army.

The Inquisition shares chimeras with the Guard and Land Raiders with Space Marines but that's about it. Everything else is unique. Even =][= Stormtroopers are different to Guard ones.

3. They are basiclly all metal, in fact, I think they are all metal, this not only makes them a pain to convert (since I'm a noob) and paint well (I suck) they also become more expensive due to the machine and material used.

Metal is easier and nicer to paint than plastic, and not terribly difficult to convert. I've never had trouble.

So my question is, do you think there will be a major update for WH any time soon? By that I mean new models, old ones turned into plastic and an actual codex being released. I mean a start would to sell a box of 15 plastic Battle Sisters and go from there.

Why 15? Seems an odd number.

Legend has it that there will be a new Codex: Sisters of Battle or Codex: Ecclesiarchy late next year, possibly 2012.

If I were you, I'd go play Blood Angels, though. If you don't like the models and don't get the theme you won't enjoy the army. Besides which, it'll be more than a year until you can start playing, maybe a lot longer - and even then, GW won't support you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please don't get me wrong, its just something I thought when they were first released. I like the lore and by the Penitent Engine I meant it was really dark, and I like dark. As I said I like different things, and in real life, games and so on, all female armies are very rare, I mean I was surprised in Empire Total War that a "Store Special" unit was the Dahomey Amazons which were an all female army which formed together to fight various "men" and liked to do things to them. In terms of GW, the only other "Female only" warriors that I know of are the tribes women in Lustria who put up with the Lizardmen and indirectly help defend it by attacking looters and explorers.

I thought 15 cause its a rounded number, I dunno. Does it matter? Thank you for answering my questions, I suppose I could make a small 500-750 point army just for fun. It is a shame that GW will sweep aside the minority to support the majority. Same reason I went Lizardmen in Fantasty due to the seemly lack of Lizardmen players, but upon joining this forum I see that it isn't as deserted as I thought the army was.

Hmm, maybe its just I had problems back when I first started with metal figures, I seem to remember having trouble getting detail on. Suppose I was a lot younger back then and techniques have improved production of models.

I think I'll just go Blood Angels as you suggest and have a few WH as a "small game" army. I do enjoy the figures available but reading army lists a lot of them seem pointless. Still, shouldn't stop me doing it, since I'm seriouslly ill and bed ridden due to it, I'll only be playing with an old friend who will come down sometime to play.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sisters models are still nicely detailed, but quite frankly, with the state GW has the army in at the moment, I'd not advise picking up a large army of Sisters unless you're a millionaire. The Sister Squad box is MIA, which means you can only buy them in blisters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.