Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Orcs and goblins rumour up on belloflostsouls

"So there is a lot of stuff out there all over the place. Here's the latest the interwebs are chattering about the Orcs & Goblins:

Written by Jeremy Vetock (of War of the Ring and the Skaven book fame)
Coming up in the schedule "soon" (in the mix along with usual suspects of Ogres and Tomb Kings)

Will be accompanied by several new plastic kits some of which are referenced in the 8th edition rulebook.

Sources say to look for a "Stegadon sized" kit of a massive forest spider - the "Arachnarok". This is hinted to have some type of topside fighting platform like the Steg and have tons of little spiders crawling all over. Multiple platform mounting options are mentioned, also analogous to the Steg.

New Savage orcs are also mentioned.

Readers are advised to pore over the background section of the Orcs & Goblins in the 8th book for hints." from BOLS

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Hmm.....

First of all it sounds interesting but some armies defo need update love more urgently and are older to boot.

Secondly Jeremy will make a great job of the book (if he is doing it)

Thirdly one of the descriptions sounds like the effigy of Gork from the Grimgors 'Ardboyz list from the Storm of Chaos. That would be a brilliant addition.

However a Giant spider does not seem that great. In fact I think it sounds waaaaay too cheesy.

For new models a orc boyz kit with arrer boy options would be good as well as a new common gobbo kit. A plastic war machine would also be appreciated. The savage orc update is also a no brainer-should have been doen years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
no new orcs or common gobbos but the army book is supposed to "have a new feel'

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It's already been announced for March, guys. So it's not a rumor that it's coming, only what's going to be in it. It should be fun for you green-skins, I hope.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Jeremy is the Orcs & Goblins guy at the studio, so I personally have high hopes.

Savage orcs are good, the Arachnarok sounds cool. Personally I'd love to see plastic warmachines as well.

As for the army book, not sure what I'd like to see in terms of rules. Making Black Orcs actually worth it would be nice, it's a shame such awesome models were given such shitty rules.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh no. I will be shit scared if those giant, animated and mean Gork statues are in there. As if my Empire weren't already hard done by enough with my bad luck... It's been 4 years, GW, and a new edition! A new Empire army book would be nice now!
But seriously, it looks like O&G would be getting their own "big scary monster thing". It would be really cool if we every army had one of those, with models. You are looking at a massive clash of the titans right there. Especially if you use all 4 of your Rare slots in a Grand Army on a large group of the big scary monster things. *drool*

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
One thing I've heard from people I'd count as pretty solid with knowing whats going to happen, that I've not seen mentioned anywhere...

There are going to be Old Characters that used to have rules in previous edition armies books, but don't in the current one, making a reappearence in the new army book.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well Jeremy should do a good job. He's mad about Orcs and Goblins, so he'll be working really hard to make sure he doesn't mess this one up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Griz, I wouldn't be getting too hopeful about TK for the near future. GW's interest in entire armies of undead skeletons has diminished apparently. Look at the Necrons! However, VC got a VERY good army book a couple of years back. We can only hope they aren't trying to get a new market in the form of vampire-obsessed teenage girls... I wouldn't be able to BEAR playing WHFB against armies led by Twilight characters representing the Von Carsteins... :suicide:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Griz, I wouldn't be getting too hopeful about TK for the near future.
Whether you get excited or not would depend on what you describe as the "near future" :p

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Just to add to this thread here is some stuff I found over on Warseer.

The new O&G book is confirmed for March 2011, see the GW Incoming! article.

Pre-orders will be up at February the 9th. With releases the 5th and 19th of March. It is yet unclear what will be released when.

According to Harry, "in 8th edition, and starting with Orcs and Goblins we can expect a whole different kind of army book. Obviously many of the same sections will be there but expect something a bit different." The army book is rumoured to be hardcover, and to be a good bit bigger than the current one.

We get 3 new plastic sets and 3 new blisters:

Plastic:
  • Savage Orc Boyz
  • Savage Orc Boar Boys
  • the Aracharok Spider
Blister:
  • Wurrzag on foot
  • Savage Orc Great shaman on boar - He is repudetedly standing on the boar and the boar is a metal version of the new boars with slightly bigger horns and some savage orc adornements (feather/bone)
  • a third blister of (yet) unknown content
Things we do not get:
  • Orcs do NOT get devestating charge (hastings).
  • Hobgoblins.
  • common forrest goblins (on foot).
  • Orc Idols and some huge cave beast (though we might hope Warhammer Forge may come up with something nice, eh? But nothing is in the pipelines just yet according to people that talked to them at Games Day UK)
  • Plastic Sguigs
  • Black Orc Boar Boys
  • Skirmishing giant spider riders
  • new common Goblins on foot and wolf
  • new Boyz on foot
For a future wave release, there might be new common goblins and wolf riders in the pipeline.

We keep all current special characters(that includes Grom in his chariot!) and get Wurzzag and two goblin special characters; both heroes, one of which is a forest goblin on a giant spider (aka cavalry base spider) for a total of 15 lord choices and 11 hero choices!

We get a new model, the Arachnarok spider. It can be taken as a mount for a common goblin great shaman, or it can be a rare choice. As a rare choice it will have options for some warmachine thing or other special rule in that regard.

Common goblins will get some sort of a unit upgrade. Hastings hinted at something that has two handweapons but is not an assasin.

(Common) Goblin characters will be able to ride Giant and Gigantic spiders, so an all spider army should be viable (by Hastings).

Also we may be getting another new unit besides the Arachnarok, though it is unclear what it is at the moment.

Courtesy of many of these rumours to Hastings. Thanks also to Harry. A big thank you to Ney, for updating the last rumour thread on this topic.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I think they will get new standard boys, as they are the old format without dedicated command parts and multiple sheilds, maybe the orc boys and savage boys will be part of the same kit ? plus the boar chariot is likely to be changed as it uses the old small boars and is pretty poor value at the moment.The goblin regiment is pretty poor too so this could easily get revamped, the orcs and goblin army has alot of plstics at the moment but alot of the stuff is quite old so there is plenty of scope to bring out alot of other plastics and they are the second/third best selling army behind empire/chaos depending on who's top.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Bringing back Wurzag would be sweet! I liked his insane ability to just turn anything he did not like into a squig. Better yet was the fact it was a bound spell.

Secondly why the hell do orcs not get the effigy of gork (or mork). It is fluffy, has rules for it already that can be simply updated and it allows all kind of crazy conversions to see who has the grandest effigy. Also I think the book is putting waaay too much emphasis on the goblins as it stands with only new units of them. I also fail to understand why there is a stegadon rip off being introduced.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Going to be interesting to see what this "different kind of armybook" means. Hardback format could be neat, and more content would be welcome as always in an armybook/codex. Now redo the OK one so I might be interested in getting back into the fantasy fray:p

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is supposed to be new art for the orc box and about 15 figures for the same price ( not updated figures i should say)
some updates are already on gw ' s site so look there

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Cred to [email protected] for getting this up, OP found here

New O&G stuff via Darnok

Animosity is going to get a bit more complex. Units are supposed to infight and/or shoot/attack others. But the potential benefits are bigger as well.
In general, the point costs are supposed to be lower.
The Arachnork spider is going to be huge (just think of a beast being able to spit on the WHF buildings - from above!). The profile is based around the number 7... its biggest problem seems to be the goblin crew.
Choppas give a strenght-bonus in the first round of a combat (wether charge or not). Every Ork weapon is a choppa now - spears, magical weapons... a BO would attack with +3S in the first round of combat, as an example.
The number of magic items is going to be drastically reduced.
Feral Orks on boars... think S5... potentially 4A... dangerous on the charge...
Black Orks might get another attack on top of what hey have, and seem to be more dangerous than before.
Most interesting: there are a few new units without models. When those will be released... no idea.

Arachnorak:
Bigger as the Screaming Bell
Can be a mount for a shaman
Can be a mount for a bolt thrower or a net launcher (this one reduces stats).
Rare Choice

Goblin Slittaz:
Upgrade for normal Goblin units, but they are not hiding.
WS 4
A 3, Armourpiercing, ASF
Looking like Ninjas

Wurzzag on foot is coming definitely.
Savage Orcs Boars 5 in one box
Savage Orcs 10 in one box, but so much parts, that you can say you have 11.

General Orc boys could get a point more expensive, with a possible improvement in stats.
Goblins could get a little cheaper.
Choppa's indeed apply to any weapon.
Trolls move from rare to special, while rivertrolls and stonetrolsl remain rare.
Savage Orcs get a very fun option I will reveal when the pics of the miniatures are shown, though they speak for themselves... =)
Oh, and there apperantly IS a kind of Squig fanatic. I still don't buy this one.

1. The Araknarok can carry a rock lobber, a shaman or an icon that makes all orcs within 12 inches Stubborn
2. It's the biggest FB monster kit they've ever made. It's bigger than the Stegadon or the Screaming Bell
3. There's an option with the Savage Orcs to carry a stone axe so big that it takes two models to do so: that's why someone mentioned there are 11 Savage Orcs in the box...sort of. It's another figure that's specifically to help with the big axe.
4. The battalion box wasn't mentioned in the meeting he went to: he said he thinks it might come in a sort of "third wave" of releases, a couple of months after the others.
5. The rulebook's definately hardback. I can't remember if he said 112 pages or 120
6. Boys box sets are going down to 15 models, for roughly the same price.
7. Savage orc boar boys will be the same (money) price as the regular ones.
8. He didn't know how much savage orcs would cost (still talking about money, not points) but he said they'd be priced to sell in large numbers. The example he gave was Greatswords: you don't have to field any in an Empire army, and if you do you tend to field 10 or 20. So GW don't sell many of them, so they're relatively expensive to make because they need to recoup the cost of the mould. Empire State Troops sell by the bucketload, so they cost less for 10. He reckons savage orcs will be the same price as State Troops.
9. By being careful (i.e. using one as a shaman mount), it's possible to field 3 aranarok spiders in one army (??? weird. I guess they must be a lot of points?)
10. The pre-orders will be up next week.
Going to be really interesting to see the layout. 120 pages armybooks would imo be awesome, and hardbacks tend to feel a lot more genuine. Another fun thing to see will be the magic. I take it for granted that the O&G get their own lore(s) again. The powerlevel of those will be really telling for the upcoming 8th ed armybooks army specific lores (as rumours has it TK & OK next which both have own lores(ish) :)

Have at it folks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts