Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Heretics, had a funny one the other day.

Reanimation Protocols states that a save using this rule can be improved, but can never be better than 4+.

Now, it's base 5+, so it only takes one thing to lower it to 4+, such as a Decurion Detachment.

However, I had it put to me that a Decurion Detachment unit of immortals with an attached Cryptec in fact has a '3+' 4+ save in much the same way as in Fantasy, where a 1+ save will still fail on a 1.

That is to say, even facing weapons that would normally knock that 4+ save down to a 5+, that particular unit would retain their 4+ reanimation protocols save.

For my part, I think that this is a clunky rules interpretation because the modifiers can't stack at all times - meaning that you have two +1 modifiers which are capped at 4+ before they can both operate, thus only 1 is effective.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
you have two +1 modifiers which are capped at 4+ before they can both operate, thus only 1 is effective.
seme here. if a save is max 4+, you can and will lower it at 5+.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Reanimation protocols states that you roll a dice, and on a 5+ the wound is discounted, if the woudn causes instant death it suffers a -1 modifiers and all wargear modifiers that improves it is cumulative.

As you roll a dice then modify it, but cannot be better than a 4+ would imply that if you had a decurion and a cryptek in a unit, then you would have a reanimation roll of a 4+ (as 4+ is the best you can get) if the unit suffers an instant death wound, that is a -1 to the roll, making it 6+ and then 2+ to the roll from decurion and cryptek (as its cumulative) making it still a 4+. You roll the dice and require a 5+, and the modifiers are to the dice roll itself not the save

That's how I see it anyway, particularly that it says bonus modifiers are cumulative, why say it if it can only ever be improved by 1 anyway?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I think that you apply all modifiers at once, and then work it out - much like Fantasy combat resolution, all modifiers are applied simultaneously and then you work out the result from there. If you've got the First Company Strike Force in range of a LD10 unit that somehow has Shadow in the Warp affecting it but have had a +2 Leadership buff cast on them from somewhere, then their Leadership value is 8: 10 base, with an additional 2 and a subtraction of 4.

The +2 Reanimation Modifier from Cryptek and Decurion still applies, it just has no effect after the first +1. You can give lots of units redundant buffs if you really want to - look at Codex: Chaos Space Marines, they have a bunch of Ld10 dudes who can buy +1 Leadership buffs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts