Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

You're here now reading this because you belong to an exclusive group of people here on Heresy. You're the veterans and with that comes a few perks.

First of all, if you aren't a supporter I've stripped out some of the adverts - they're an eyesore pain in the arse and I think you deserve to not see them.

Also, I want the older members here to explain a few truths about Heresy and it's existence. The site in its current condition is slowly dying. The number of posts we're receiving on a daily basis is way lower than our prime, there was a time we would naturally attract 1000 or more posts per day. In these dark times we're lucky if we hit 500 posts per day, recently I decided to ask the question why and frankly I was blown away by the response. I was expecting 10 or 20 emails, in truth I think nearly 100 people responded, via email, PM or my profile page. When you consider there are only 500 or so veterans on this site that is a fucking amazing return.

Prior to sending the message I was under the illusion that people had left for pastures new, I figured you'd all fucked off to Dakka or Facebook or Reddit or wherever else people go for their 40k fix these days. Obviously I was wrong, it seems that most of you have drifted away from the hobby. This was a relief in a way because it means we didn't actually do anything wrong as a website - life goes on.

Then I had a little think about the decline in posts and the absence of our top posting members and realization struck. As you guys are leaving no one is filling the void. So we're losing our top members and the new members aren't coming through. At first people will think this is simply a case of us losing traffic and visitors, but that isn't the situation. Our visitor numbers are about as good as they've ever been. It seens we're still as popular, only we aren't getting as many registrations and people joining the discussions as we once were.

So, this is partly the reason I created this group and wrote this post. I want you guys to rally round, appreciate what you've achieved here. Heresy is still the newest forum on the block, it's still the baby of the big sites, it punched hard for many years, now though its started to fade, it needs a big effort to get the ball rolling again. What kind of effort I don't know, perhaps you can make some suggestions? Perhaps you can post some leading threads that simply have to be answered by the guest. Maybe you can just nod your head and accept my undying gratitude for laying the bricks in our early days.

This forum (which is yours to do what you please) and the removal of the adverts, extra perks similar to the supporter stuff is my way of saying thanks.

Now, anyone got a plan to bring back our glory days?

Heresy misses them.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I guess since I'm here I'll say thanks for considering me as a part of this. This site basically is my only outlet for this hobby outside of playing the game with a couple friends, and I appreciate that my involvement here is recognized at all. :drinks:

On the note of bringing back the glory days, what more can we do but keep posting as much as we can? Djinn has started taken the initiative to call out Heretics to post more and get new threads started that encourage more discussion which seems to have received a positive response, but since I wasn't around so long ago I don't really know what has actually changed from the 'glory days' to now. Is the difference in content more quantity or quality based?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Life does change. I don't really get to play anymore, but the Heresy community is definitely what keeps me engaged. The And projects posted here keep my interest in miniature war gaming simmering. I can't dedicate the time to let my interest really get to a rolling boil, so I have to settle for a simmer.

Like ntaw said, thanks for including me.

And ntaw, to answer your question both, but it is a double edged sword. We used to have an award for achieving a serious post/thread starter level called "dark disciple." On the one hand it encouraged people to post like crazy to get and keep the medal, on the other hand it lead to a lot of garbage being posted.

At the time they was a really healthy cadre of serious members posting a lot of projects and contributing good content. And there were a lot of people just chatting too. (And a lot of garbage) Right now we don't have nearly as many people doing either. That's not too say that our current members aren't doing good work, they are, but I suspect from Jez's perspective (site health & traffic) we're really not achieving critical mass.

There were many more people taking part in competitions. More project logs. More off topic discussions, etc.

I'm not sure what the solution is, if there is "A" solution. My instincts tell me that djinn's plan is the right one. Fostering a greater natural level of activity can become self sustaining, just as posting to a quiet forum turns people off. When a user posts and gets no response, that user is less likely to be engaged and post again.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
I know I posted this in another thread but I thought it was worth posting again as I was kind of proud of it. Okay seriously I just thought maybe some people might not venture into the other thread and I thought what I had to say made sense.

The lurkers have to feel welcome and they have to feel like the atmosphere is welcoming.

Then again it may not be anything you are doing or more importantly not doing. I run a COD site and I am a member to many other gaming forums. With the advent of facebooks popularity and other social media forums all over and of all different genres are slowly dying as they are not needed. Why join a forum when you can join a facebook page and get all your info.

You still have the diehards though, those that refuse to give in to the new way and or just really enjoy a forum area.

To me a forum has a lot more to offer than a social media site. You have hosting content with user control. You can have discussions that are not intermixed or convoluted. You can create a whole new forum for anything you want. You all have codexes or whatever they are called try keeping updates in order on a facebook page. Or how about painting logs or fan fiction, imagine every ones shit running together and trying to keep that straight.

There in lies the problem. The 30 and 40 year olds already love forums or grew up with forums. The 20 and younger crowd most likely do not find forums useful or do not know about them or their worth.

When you do not know any better you think the way you have been doing something is the best, easiest or fastest way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think this is a really good idea for getting Heresy back to it's greatness.

I don't have any ground-breaking ideas to help myself, but I'll certainly try and do my part to keep things active on the forums.

One thing other people might find helps is if you visit the "Unanswered Posts" section regularly if you're not doing so- immediate, helpful responses to content and questions does a lot to show how helpful Heresy can be.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well I need to get off my ass and get to work on my models and chapter fluff then. Got a good skeleton from Baron's chapter generator. Could probably just post that up and flesh it out in updates as I go on with it. Might even give me motivation to paint more of my models and post progress pics of them too. I'd say its a better contribution than most of my posts that i've made over the past 4 years i've been here

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Another thought, do we have a good running list anywhere of alternative or 3rd party add-ons or substitutes?

I know it's a polarizing topic, but I bet we could drive more site traffic if we had a thread or list that would show up in a Google search when somebody enters "alt dreadnought" or "3rd party obliterator" or "space marine bionics" etc.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
My two cents

If our veterans are no longer interested in the hobby there is very little a forum about said hobby will be able to do to keep interest because at the end of the day, we come for the content and stay for the people. If people move on, they have moved on nothing more to say.

I think moving to focus on community would get lurkers posting. When i first signed up i was a lurker for about 6 months before posting in the rp section and making some friends. After that i posted regularly.

Also after i took a break from the hobby i came back to the site after getting the mark of nurgle. Rewards are a really good incentive so maybe we combine member of the month and dark disciple and give an award to 2-5 members that post a high ammount of good posts.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thank you, jez, for considering me as a Vet.
Posting here since 2012 , i'm hardly one. Still, i'll try to give my contribution.
As for me, i regularly visit Heresy everyday and I go "angron - mad" when something prevents me to do so. That's because the mods, the true veterans and many users are really pleasant people (here on the board, at least!) and I've more often than not found good discussion, good pics and other inspirational or just nerd stuff.

How to invite lurkers to join? We can just present ourselves as a responding / helpful community. If they want to join and post, that will be their decision.
I say: "No post shall be unaswered!". Just using the Unanswered post feature, we can help some user to have the hint they where looking for. And they will come back for more!
Plus, posting a link from another site, a pic, an article, an intelligent discussion (and polite, for Tzeentch's sake) can attract responses, convince someone that here are good ideas, good discussion, that we are involved in this game and the fluff. This is always not possible, of course, but... a good post a day is better than 10 crappy ones.
And maybe we should publicize more the possible rewards. rewards are key to involvement of newbloods. Just like the Four Gods whe should give them something to gain their trust and then BAM! EAT THEIR SOUUULLZZZZ!!!! ehm..sorry, I got too involved...

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
"If you build it...." then you'd best bloody paint it! :p

First off, as a new (newest?) member of the staff I would like to say thanks to you Jez for kicking off Heresy in the first place, and also to the staff that have kept this place afloat over the years :)

Secondly, I check in daily and to a certain extent get a bit cold-turkey if more than a couple of days goes by without me logging in. At present I'm at a loss for ideas, but nevertheless I shall be having a good think about it. :)

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
An honour that my grumpy ass gets veteran status, once I'm ensconced in my new gaff (with man cave!) I will endeavour to post more and contribute more to this great site and if I come up with any good ideas to help (good being a relative term) I'll post it right up, viva la revolucion viva Heresy Online!

·
Registered
992 Posts
One thing other people might find helps is if you visit the "Unanswered Posts" section regularly if you're not doing so- immediate, helpful responses to content and questions does a lot to show how helpful Heresy can be.
Don't have a lot to add that hasn't been said before, but I do want to reiterate this. I try to visit the unanswered posts lists once a day. I know that a big way to get people involved is to respond to them. The main reason I am more active here than Warseer (which I registered at the same week) is because I actually got responses to my first few posts and not just crickets.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
First of all, thanks for including my young ass as a veteran. It means a lot!

I have an idea as to the whole "lurker" problem that I will post in that thread. I can also attest to the usefulness of the "unaswered post" button, as I click it roughly 50 times daily. It's great to get a overview of whats happening and to get around the new posts and activity as fast as possible.

I will pick my brain about what else to suggest and try to post as much as I can, to get some activity up in here!

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Wow, I'm a veteran. Your veteran policy is insane if I'm included, although I didn't realise I'd been here for as long as I have. So all I can say is thanks. First Warhammer forum I've ever signed up to, long before I even realised there was a big three in regards to 40k forums.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
You've been here longer than I have Loli :laugh:

·
Innovative Forge-Lord
2,579 Posts

Prior to sending the message I was under the illusion that people had left for pastures new, I figured you'd all fucked off to Dakka or Facebook or Reddit or wherever else people go for their 40k fix these days. Obviously I was wrong, it seems that most of you have drifted away from the hobby. This was a relief in a way because it means we didn't actually do anything wrong as a website - life goes on.

Then I had a little think about the decline in posts and the absence of our top posting members and realization struck. As you guys are leaving no one is filling the void. So we're losing our top members and the new members aren't coming through. At first people will think this is simply a case of us losing traffic and visitors, but that isn't the situation. Our visitor numbers are about as good as they've ever been. It seens we're still as popular, only we aren't getting as many registrations and people joining the discussions as we once were....
:laugh: I defected from Dakka all those years ago specifically to join Heresy because I was sick of the childish bollox over there...pulled all my tutes and pics too so I aren't about to go back. :no: Heresy is my hobby home!!!

I think Jez, you will find that veteran membership is a bit of a cyclical phenomenon...those of us that have been in the hobby a long time (yourself included) will naturally drift away to new pursuits or be mired in the daily grind of life and just not have time for hobbies, forums or anything more absorbing beyond vegetating in front of the goggle-box in the corner of the room.

Inevitably, this hobby becomes part of our DNA, you can put it on hold, swear you will never bother with it again, go off for years and do other things but there will always come a day - right out of the blue - when something catches our imaginations and BAM, were right back into it...and back to Heresy if the memory is fond!

I know, I have done it myself several times. It's one of the reasons I can never bring myself to sell off all my kit...it's the reason that despite not having played a game for years I still collect and build and convert shit (although that's been on hold for 18 months :().

The Vets are still here I suspect...probably some of those 'lurkers' are former full-timers. For those that are newbies or those considering defecting as I did, there has to be a universal welcome mat, a big, "come on in mate...sit yourself down and grab a beer, they're complimentary". I remember it took me a long time to find my voice on the site simply because it felt a little hostile at times.

I am glad I stuck around and dug beneath the surface...what's under there is what we need to make accessible to those we want to encourage to participate. :friends:

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Weird. I didn't even realize this subforum was here until I saw it in the awards-thread, but thanks for including me! I'm slowly trying to be significantly more active but it's pretty difficult because life. That being said, if there's anything I can do specifically to keep this place going I will do it. I probably would have slowly faded off from the hobby if not for this place, and nowadays it's one of the few things I can really enjoy, so thanks heresy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts