Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't see how this is a money grab - the 'save no money for a bunch of units' is nothing new or extortionate in itself...

The formation itself is fucking bonkers though. Pick 4 enemy units, force them to take Pinning on 3D6 and prevent them from firing Overwatch whether they pass or no? Yeah, Tau, you just got shut the fuck down.

Also, viable Assault Marines, natch.

EDIT: Holy fuck, those guys are 3rd Company! GW Ultramarines that aren't blue and gold!

·
Registered
443 Posts
http://elite40k.blogspot.fr/2015/06...tm_campaign=Feed:+elite40k+(Elite+40,000)&m=1
Composition

The Skyhammer Annihilation Force comprises:

• Two Assault Squads with Jump Packs
  • Two Devastator Squads in Drop Pods
And no less than four special rules:
Shock Deployment: All units in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force start the game in Deep Strike Reserve. Instead of using the normal deployment and reserve rules for these units, you can, during deployment, choose whether this Formation will arrive during your first or second turn. The entire Skyhammer Annihilation Force automatically arrives on the turn you choose—no Reserve Rolls are required. Ignore this Formation's Drop Pods for the purposes of the Drop Pod Assault special rule.​
First the Fire, then the Blade: On the turn they arrive from Deep Strike Reserve, the Devastator Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force have the Relentless special rule and the Assault Squads can charge even though they arrived from Reserves that turn.​
Suppressing Fusillade: A unit targeted by a Skyhammer Annihilation Force's Devastator Squad in the Shooting phase must take a Morale test at the end of the phase on 3D6, regardless of how many casualties were inflicted. If the test is failed, the enemy unit does not Fall Back, but must immediately Go to Ground. If the test is passed, the enemy unit is unable to fire Overwatch for the rest of the turn.​
Leave No Survivors: Assault Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force can use their Jump Packs in both the Movement phase and the Assault phase. If an Assault Squad from a Skyhammer Annihilation Force charges a unit that has Gone to Ground as a result of the Suppressing Fusillade special rule, that Assault Squad can reroll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls in the ensuring Assault phase.​
Amazing rules, basically up to 4 squads (10/10 CS) all alpha strike with 2 pods,2DS and can shoot and charge with reroll to wound and hit. Chapter tactics apply.
How can I acquire this rules without buying another half a company... I just freaking bought 2 assault squads and 2 devastator squads and 2 tactical squads in FLGS .... Thanks GW.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I don't see how this is a money grab
Formations are small collections of models that GW gives swanky rules to in order to boost sales of potentially less competitive units and create a more fluff-oriented aspect to the game as far as I'm concerned. I like them, they're fun, but it can be a lot to keep up with. Here we see friggin' awesome rules for two recently released and expensive kits, which for those that only own part or none of it might be inspiration enough to get the rest. Lets call it more of a sales pitch than a money grab to avoid negative connotations maybe.

I don't mean to complain about it, but it is what it is. You and I, we live in the age of information where a little sheet of paper is easy to find and replicate with little to no fucks given. For a lot of other people though, they need that GW official print like they need anything else in this hobby.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Money grab? Hardly. Poorly executed promotion? yes.

To me, a money grab is more like: only releasing the codex with X, Y or Z, and jacking the price up. So "Hey, want the codex, well you need to pay for this that and the other as well". The codex is something that's high in demand, so that would be more opportunistic. these special rules that come with a bundle aren't that high in demand, so they're very "take it or leave it".

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Basically, GW tries to get on board the Day 1 DLC train but forgot that the internet exists and unlike DLCs for computer games, it's comically easy for tabletop wargamers to simply find the rules online and apply them to things they already have.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
just curious, is there anything on the datasheet that specifically mentions the units come from SM codex only or can BA and DA use it RAW. Obviously the sheets from the codex cant be used but if this only mentions units used and not specificaly which

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
codex they come from, I cant honestly see an opponent stopping you and keeping a straight face. If not I suppose theres counts as but an opponent would be better off, if you use ba you dont get chapter tactics or red thirst.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
All Formations have a rule one them that states what Faction or Race they come from. In this case, while I haven't seen the datasheet, I would assume that it's going to say 'All Models must come from Codex: Space Marines' or something like that. So while Blood Angels could ally with Battle Brother relations and paint the models red, they wouldn't count as a viable option.

Look at it the other way; Archangel Formation which is only Blood Angels, but I decide to take it as Imperial Fists for the Bolter Drill and just create an entire army of Sternguard.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Look at it the other way; Archangel Formation which is only Blood Angels, but I decide to take it as Imperial Fists for the Bolter Drill and just create an entire army of Sternguard.
Which you could arguably still do better out of a CAD instead (depending on points level of course), given that you have to take so many compulsory unit choices with that formation (6 of those 14 Elites choices are taken already and only one of them is Sternguard).

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I thought Archangel was simply 1 HQ (which had to be a Captain or Chaplain) and something like 0-14 elites. But ONLY infantry or Furioso (max 6 Dreads).

So you could have, say, a captain and 2 sternguard, totally legal in an Archangel.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Nope. The detachment is, at its minimum:

Libby - TDA
Captain - TDA (can be Karlaen if you're into him)

1-10 Sternguard
1-10 Vanguard
1-10 Assault Terminators
1-10 Terminators
1-6 Furioso
1 Chaplain - TDA

This is an example of a fluff formation that has little to no battlefield relevance to me. You have to use their warlord traits, you get Descent of Angels, and you lose Red Thirst.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Nope. The detachment is, at its minimum:

Libby - TDA
Captain - TDA (can be Karlaen if you're into him)

1-10 Sternguard
1-10 Vanguard
1-10 Assault Terminators
1-10 Terminators
1-6 Furioso
1 Chaplain - TDA

This is an example of a fluff formation that has little to no battlefield relevance to me. You have to use their warlord traits, you get Descent of Angels, and you lose Red Thirst.
Are we talking about the same Detachment? This is the one where you can take 2-16 Elites, no more than 6 Furioso, no more than 10 of each Vet Squad. However, none of them are 1+.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The reason I said money grab is because without that GW stamp, I don't see you being allowed to use it in tournament play...maybe I'm wrong but I would think that in GW sponsored tournaments you have to have the digital or physical codex or datasheet. While I'm sure there are ways to pirate pdfs of the rules, maybe they is a way to make a distinction.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts