Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

These are some personal changes to weapons that I'd like to see more commonly used, often due to artwork or gameplay. Par example, the cover of Cadian Blood and the Veteran pic in the IG Bestiary wanted me to change shotguns so that they'd be at least useable. And the Chainsword, which does absolutely NOTHING in game. I like Chainsawing people with a Lancer, but I didn't get that feel in tabletop 40k. So, here are a few of my personal Weapon Fixes.

Chainsword:
Grants Rending

Shotguns:
18” Range, Strength 4, upgrades for Incendiary (Pinning on 4+ due to the flames) and Executioner shell (Hits on 2+)

Demolition Charges:
Every point of Strength above 3 adds 3” to the range (Str 4 9” Range, Str 5 12” Range etc.) Obviously they would have to become available to more models (Ooh, an Ogryn with a demo charge is more dangerous to himself than anyone else)

Power Swords:
Should be Rending against vehicles.

Chainfist:
Power Fist that rends against Vehicles

Feel free to post your own Weapon Fixes.

Midnight

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
I totally understand what your saying, but what you need to keep in mind is- Perspective, sure that is a chainsaw sword, but its in the hands of a weak and infectual man. Following this logic, you get str 5 ap 2 bolters, and str 8 assualt cannons that for every hit also score a hit on the model behind. I have seen it attempted, then everybody wants it. and you cant justly say no.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Chainfists get 2D6 Armor Pen. against vehicles..... why would you want to change it from that?!
Shotguns have a short range, everyone knows that, so No.
Power swords are only effective vs personal Armor which is nowhere near as thick as vehicle Armor, so No.
Chainswords are no where near powerful enough to grant Rending.
Range....? DemoCharge....? o_O

Back to the drawing board my friend.

SGMAlice

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok...why? You guys attacked these Ideas. How is a Chainsword in the hands of a weak and ineffectual man...hes a space marine. I do not about you but a Chainsword sounds more deadly than a Combat Blade.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, being clubbed by a Fire Warrior is incomparably more desirable than being ripped in half by an Astartes with a huge Chainsaw. And tell me; can you cut down a tree with a gun butt?

Midnight

EDIT: SGMAlice, I'm not trying to make Chainfists more powerful or worse, I'm making them more realistic (in my eyes). If a chainsword gives no extra bonuses, why should a Chainfist? And about the personal armour thing, I'm pretty sure the armour on some Orks is pretty darn thick.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A chainsword is a sword with a chainsaw installed.
A chainfist is not a fist with a chainsaw installed.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
Ok, but look at whay your saying your oh a powersword can slice through thickest metal! therefore better against vehicles! Well touche, I say bolters fire mass reactive explosive tipped shells. 3 cheers for only bending the rules you want.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'd like the Assault Cannon to go up to Heavy 6 (or even 7) but lose rending, it's a Gatling Gun it needs to be really, really fast firing and with the Punisher Cannon at Heavy 20 I don't see why we can't have a 6 shot weapon.

Change Master-Crafted weapons so that instead of re-rolling a missed hit they re-roll 1's to hit- greater help with those times you roll a load of 1's and I think it nicely sums up how much better built they are compared to the standard weapon.

·
Eastern Potent
2,654 Posts
I'd like the Assault Cannon to go up to Heavy 6 (or even 7) but lose rending, it's a Gatling Gun it needs to be really, really fast firing and with the Punisher Cannon at Heavy 20 I don't see why we can't have a 6 shot weapon.

Change Master-Crafted weapons so that instead of re-rolling a missed hit they re-roll 1's to hit- greater help with those times you roll a load of 1's and I think it nicely sums up how much better built they are compared to the standard weapon.

But the problem is where does it end, because everyone will have things that they want changed, and you cant re-work the enitre game.

and I think the rending better represents the nature of the gun, its a pure wall of shot, that will tear through anything, and its deffinitly more balanced as is I think.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Ok...why? You guys attacked these Ideas. How is a Chainsword in the hands of a weak and ineffectual man...hes a space marine..
so only space marines use chainswords now?, what about the guard, and the sisters, and the eldar?, or would it only apply to space marines, which is space marine bias, and would points be increased?, maybe 5-10pts per man, wow assault squads just got expensive.

shotguns don't need upgunning, your watching too many hollywood movies, shotguns have a short range and are crap against armoured targets, and some shotguns are str4 already.

Power swords already ignore armour saves, you want rending as well?, why don't you just buy a power fist?, or do you want everything with no negatives?

Chainfist....already has 2D6 pen, but you want rending instead?, why?

and demo charges are fine, there supposed to be dangerous for the user as well as target, and not everyone should get one.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
As I've already said, I want to change it because I've changed Chainswords. And a Chainfist has a chain blade. Therefore, the changes must be fairly similar.
but a chainsword and a chanfist have about as much in common as a canary and a forklift truck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
so only space marines use chainswords now?, what about the guard, and the sisters, and the eldar?, or would it only apply to space marines, which is space marine bias, and would points be increased?, maybe 5-10pts per man, wow assault squads just got expensive.
I think a 2 point upgrade per marine would be well within reason.

Plus sissy s3/t3 models have no business gaining benefits from such things with their limp wrists and weak hearts.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I think a 2 point upgrade per marine would be well within reason.
2 points my ass, 20pts to give an entire 10 man assault squad rending?, and people claim GW love power creep, for 2pts a model you can take the chainswords and put them down the slit attached to your penis.

then we'll see if 2pts per marine to rend your penis open is "within reason".

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the similarity between a forklift truck and a canary? If it was specified as a yellow forklift then you would be right. But a blue forklift ahs nothing in common with a canary. A chainfist, however, has a chain. So does a chainsword. It may just be me but I do not think that was a very good analogy.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Heres the thing, the chainsword might not look intimidateing on the tabletop, but that is because th models are FUCKAWSOME super soldiers and demons and such.

The reason a chainsword isnt rending, is because even a 5+ armor save is somthing equivalent to the heaviest armor we have today. The weapons seem week because everything is strong by comparrison. Can you really imagine a normal chainsword in the hands of a guardsmen, even a battle sister or space marine, chewing through artificier armor on a 6? The same goes for shotguns. Lasguns and shotguns are S3, but in fluff they can punch through brick walls. The thing is, everything in warhamemr is beastlier than a brick wall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts