Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of the stats, but I come to here and other forums to look at people's modelling and painting, for inspiration.

Our project logs section is great, but just doesn't get enough replies. People lose interest in posting their pictures, and don't post as much.

Any ideas on how we can change this round?

I was thinking of offering a signature making service, so people can link to the PLogs in a more significant way. Other thoughts?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Well I can recommend that you link to it in your signature, in any way possible. I get a fair amount of replies on my blog, as I shamelessly promote it any way I can.

That being said, a signature service would be awesome! I would sign up for it in a heartbeat!

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I'm not sure how well the signature thing works, i try to keep my logs updated every few weeks or so at least and i can't say that i've noticed a spate of new people commenting on logs whether i have my signature images or not. Of course that could be that i don't comment on a lot of the other areas of the forums so i always end up with the same small groups of people commenting on my work but it would be impossible to track without having a few more admin tools to wor it out.

I post as often as i am able, frequently putting up pictures of unfinished items where i would rather wiat for it to be completed just so i am updating more regularly. Unfortunatley even those threads which i am putting a lot of effort into at any one time just seem to attract the same few people.

My Vengrosian log for example has been running for a couple of months now and has 6 completed tanks in it, 1 partially done superheavy, 3 incomplete tanks and an infantry squad. it's reached 21 posts but more than half of those are from me. I've had 6 other people comment on the thread and five of those have only made a single post. I don't know how much of it is that the project logs are just getting too long. People want to see impressive completed models. they don't want to sift through 10 pages of average tanks and infantry to get to the groundbreaking stuff.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I felt it was more people that looked and commented back in the days of the old +rep system.
I also believe plogs where updated more often before the sticky "what have you worked on today" thread.
On the other side the army showcase seems to have forten some new input which is nice. Maybe people don't know where to focus?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant mainly that we need to post in other people's blogs to encourage them to keep posting.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I meant mainly that we need to post in other people's blogs to encourage them to keep posting.
My bad, i am suffering from Holidayitis.....alchohol and sleeping in strange beds is messing with my mind.

What i used to do was keep a notepad file on my desktop with the names of people who had taken the time to comment on my own threads and then i woudl make a point of hunting down their logs and making a comment whenever i had time. It meant i didn't spam the project logs with updates at any one time but that i could make sure i was giving feedback on a regular basis to people who were being active.
If everyone did this then there would be a ton of activity without people feeling like they need to talk in every single new post that arrives. It also mean tha the more active somone is in the board the more likely they are to be receiving the feedback and hopefully that would encourage them to stay.

edit: Just going back and checking over the 2 project logs and 1 modelling thread that i've posted in since the start of March that gives me a total of 10 people to comment on their threads for. Not insurmountable by any means and a notepad file on my desktop is hardly going to inconveniance me in any way.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I make a point of posting everything I paint in my project logs, even if it's shit. I have had like zero hobby time lately, unfortunately, but hopefully when things quiet down a bit I'll have more up. It's a good rule of thumb to just post whatever you're working on, even if it's dumb-- it gets people viewing the site more, even if they don't comment.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The project logs section has always been quite low in traffic, the fact that site activity isn't really that high atm has just made it even lower.

The main problem i have posting on peoples plogs is that either someone has already raised what i wanted to say, or i'd just be repeating a post i made on the last page.

I think the signature idea is good (and i still have my signature request thread open in the art section *hint* *hint*) but i also think people should encourage more discussion in their plogs.

Ask for input on ideas, run a vote for colour schemes, post pictures of what you're planning as well as what you've done.

I'm not saying my log is a good example of this (it isn't) but thinking back over my years on the site i've always got more interesting responses when i ask for input rather than just posting pictures.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I pretty much don't bother with either of my plogs any more either. No one ever seems interested. I know my work is nowhere near as good as some of the top talent we have here, but there was a time when even the most basic beginners plog would get plenty of responses and encouragement. Not using my own plogs means I don't visit that sub forum as much as I used to, so comment less on others work. It's all kinda circular.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personally, I'm really bad about posting pics. Taking the pic, uploading, resizing every one, uploading to photobucket, and then linking it in to the post is just a pain in the ass that I don't feel like doing it. That is a seriously lazy excuse, I know, but that's how it is. The biggest hurdle that I have is the resizing. God I hate editing each picture to the same size. I do agree though that more pics would be good. As to the signature thing, I really can't say anything about it as I know less than zero about it.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
The biggest hurdle that I have is the resizing. God I hate editing each picture to the same size.
Why ? Surely your camera takes pictures that are all the same dimensions. The only time I end up resizing on heresy is when I'm adding to the sprue database. Every time I post pictures anywhere else the site resized them with a little bar up the top saying "click here to expand picture" .
Also if you wanted a quick easy way to resize images I would imagine it could be done using a piece of short code.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My main problem is I lead quite a busy life, with uni and visiting family and girlfriend (both of which are about 6 hours away), so actually painting anything worth showing takes me quite a bit of time.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Also if you wanted a quick easy way to resize images I would imagine it could be done using a piece of short code.
Hey Grim, that isn't quite accurate. Posting up full size photos takes a lot longer for viewers to download them as their page loads. E.g. a full size photo from my smartphone is 2mb (3264x2448 pixels). That takes a lot longer for a viewer to download than an image I have edited and cropped to (1000x750).

Another consideration here is definitely time. I also have 0 hobby time right now. I can only really read/ post to heresy via my mobile and the tapatalk app these days.

That has several knock-on effects. First, images take longer to download. So pages with 30 large images require a long time even on a 4G network. Second, I tend to browse by the new posts, so there's a limited amount of time for those posts to remain "New", after which they won't automatically pop-up for me. Third, I just don't have as broad a view of our community by accessing via mobile. I'm much more likely to tread in the same threads where I have already been active.

So that's me. I don't know what percentage of our users access via mobile now, but it's a double edged sword. With mobile, the ways I access the site have changed, but without mobile I would have very few opportunities these days to read/post/participate at all.

And for the record I love the project logs. It's my favorite part of the site. I do find that I don't always have the time to post. When I respond, like this post, I don't want to rattle off some meaningless "nice job!" garbage, even though it's all I have time for sometimes. I want to take the time and provide a thoughtful response and constructive criticism. Granted, we have a few people who don't want actual criticism and react badly because they just want praise, but generally thoughtful criticism seems appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And for the record I love the project logs. It's my favorite part of the site. I do find that I don't always have the time to post. When I respond, like this post, I don't want to rattle off some meaningless "nice job!" garbage, even though it's all I have time for sometimes. I want to take the time and provide a thoughtful response and constructive criticism. Granted, we have a few people who don't want actual criticism and react badly because they just want praise, but generally thoughtful criticism seems appreciated.

I honestly think it's worth posting, even if it's just that. It lets people know that you've had a look and appreciate their effort.

It's quite depressing looking at the thousands of views the topics get, and the tiny number of replies.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My main problem is I lead quite a busy life, with uni and visiting family and girlfriend (both of which are about 6 hours away), so actually painting anything worth showing takes me quite a bit of time.
My point is that we need to comment on other people's blogs more, to encourage them. Even simple encouragement, like 'great job' or 'I really like what you did with that...'

Personally, I'm really bad about posting pics. Taking the pic, uploading, resizing every one, uploading to photobucket, and then linking it in to the post is just a pain in the ass that I don't feel like doing it. That is a seriously lazy excuse, I know, but that's how it is. The biggest hurdle that I have is the resizing. God I hate editing each picture to the same size. I do agree though that more pics would be good. As to the signature thing, I really can't say anything about it as I know less than zero about it.
I use PhotoShop to cut/relight my photos and then upload them to an imgur album. I've found imgur to be really quick and useful. Multiple photos at a time and then quick links to the BB code.

EDIT:

If I did a sig service, where should I post about it?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I use PhotoShop to cut/relight my photos and then upload them to an imgur album. I've found imgur to be really quick and useful. Multiple photos at a time and then quick links to the BB code.

EDIT:

If I did a sig service, where should I post about it?
I use Photoshop as well. I know not everyone has that luxury. GiMP is also pretty good- it's definitely good enough for cropping, resizing, and a little color correcting.

I would also recommend Flickr. The user/viewer experience is a lot nicer than some of the other photo hosting places. It also has the benefit of providing a series of possible sizes smaller than the original. AND Flickr gives you automatic bbcode for embedding in a forum.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Hey Grim, that isn't quite accurate. Posting up full size photos takes a lot longer for viewers to download them as their page loads. E.g. a full size photo from my smartphone is 2mb (3264x2448 pixels). That takes a lot longer for a viewer to download than an image I have edited and cropped to (1000x750).
I meant by adding to the BBcode that embeds the image. What i was essentially saying is that instead of just using the add image button at the top. Which will end up placing the code
. You can select the switch editor mode in the top right corner of the advanced posting window and manually type [img=widthxheight]yourpictureaddresshere[/img]

Edit: I've just tried doing this, it's a standard code function of BBcode but for some reason it's been disabled on Heresy. I'm not sure why.

As an additional, there is is a resize function in photobucket. If you select the picture you want to resize, select the edit function near the top left corner of the screen and then select resize. It even allows you to keep the photo's aspect ratio.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
DUe to camera issues i haven't be able to take pics. today this ends. i've to show you guys my latest additions to the Legion of Perfects: a bunch of cultists, some slaanesh spawns and 9 Black Legionnaires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts