Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the 40k fluff, it seems to me that, when anyone talks about days and months, the Imperium still uses the times that we do. By which I mean Terra still has 24 hrs in a day, 7 days in a week, 12 months to a year etc. Of course, there will be many, if not most, worlds that have their own timescales based on their own rotation about their axis and orbit of their sun, but Imperial time seems to be based on Terran Standard.
So, I have a couple of questions, and some detective work might be in order. Firstly, am I correct in assuming that Terra still uses our current calendar and day-length? Secondly, if it doesn't, has it ever been revealed in the fluff what it might be? Finally, the question I'd most like to know the answer to, is do we know all of the names of the days of the week and the months of the year? I'm sure that I've seen such names mentioned in various BL books, but I was wondering if this info has ever been collated before? If not then maybe as a Forum we could do it ourselves?
I'll be looking forwards, and really interested, to see if anyone can enlighten me!

GFP

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The Terran year is Imperial Standard, whilst a day on Earth is still divided into 24 hours, and there are 7 days in a week etc the way it's presented officially outside of Earth is that those 365 days are split down into a unit of 1,000- it's not quite a day or an hour it's some convenient half-breed, so the date for the Imperium as a central government is presented as the date it is on Terra no matter what orbit of the local planet would suggest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is a bit off topic but kind of related.
Interestingly I always look at the fluff as being a translation as Im sure language would have evolved into something entirely different by then, so the names of days may well be different but translated into our corresponding names for them.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
This is a bit off topic but kind of related.
Interestingly I always look at the fluff as being a translation as Im sure language would have evolved into something entirely different by then, so the names of days may well be different but translated into our corresponding names for them.
The language used by the Imperium is called Gothic. And you are correct, the Gothic language is nothing like the English of today. The novels are written in English for the obvious benefit of the reader, rather than force every fan to learn a whole new language just for extra realism. :laugh:

·
Registered
361 Posts
The language used by the Imperium is called Gothic. And you are correct, the Gothic language is nothing like the English of today. The novels are written in English for the obvious benefit of the reader, rather than force every fan to learn a whole new language just for extra realism. :laugh:
Although you have to admit that having a story in Imperial Gothic would be pretty bad-ass.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There isn't a general consensus of time Imperium-wide. This is evident by the numerical prefixes that go with Astropathic messages that get transmitted. I've forgotten where I saw it (I'm sure it was via someone on here, though), but, basically, the further out from the message sender you get you get, then the more imprecise the timeframe for the message gets. So, a message from the outer rim to Terra with have the biggest prefix, showing that the message could be massivley out of wack, what with the factors of the planet's own day/year cycle, the system's rotation around galactic centre and the all of those of whatever places that the message has to pass through to be 'boosted' on its way to Terra.
What I was getting at with the OP was that in some of the BL books, I'm sure that I've seen named months and days that every Imperial citizen seems to be familiar with. So, Sevenday was one (I think), and Emperor's Day seems to be celebrated at about the same time Imperium-wide. So, what I want to nknow is that if anyone has seen a named month or day anywhere in the lore, give it to me in this thread, ad we'll see if we can build-up something that resembles the Imperial day/week.

GFP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts