Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Welcome to a review to another WD. This October edition features some nice high elf art so that is a positive start. Anyways carrying on.

First again I wish to stress that this is all based on my point of view and thus your experience with WD may differ from mine.

Next the major question on minds must relate to the DE. Sadly for those who thought that this issue might preview some more artwork or an article about them next month were wrong. The only DE related stuff in this months mag is only that artwork on the back inside cover.

Onto the main topics this week.

The new releases focuses on the high elves, thus following on from the focus of blood isle last month. Releases include the very nice dragon princes and the okay looking phoenix guard and white lions. On other high elf related releases the classic sea guard are back. However costing 15 quid for 5 guys or 16 for a command group they are rather pricey. A better option may be to equip the plastic spearmen with the shields available separately for 6.50 for 10. Added bonuses this month include a model of Prince Althran on foot should his eagle be slain in a game whilst the previously named but not shown warlord Spinetail. Both models are brilliantly detailed and well worth a look at. To conclude high elf releases there is another battle card set, this time focused on high magic. However they are in limited supply.

Other releases of note include new LotR models with a Kings Champion, Gundabad Blackshield troopers and captain, Floi Stonemaster and the Cave Drake. Whilst the drake looks awesome it does leave me thinking how much more a mountain giant would be if they ever make one!

First article this issue focuses on ya guessed it, the high elves! This article focuses in detail on how the army of the high elves are organized with an insight into how the militia might be utilised. Whilst this fluff is useful it will be all too familiar to those who have read the high elf army book. More of interest to those who may have read the army book is the interviews with the designers who made this months releases. This article is finished by a small piece of fluff that once again sees Prince Althran and his griffon but also presents a 3000 point sample army that just happens to use this months new releases. Following this article is more examples of other high elf products that players may think of including. My thoughts on these advertisements has already been issued and I will not state them again.

After that we get the Isle of Blood mega battle! This follows on from the massive map that those who read last months issue with a battle featuring over 10000 points a side. Also following last months criticism of posting battle report results I am not doing so this month. However PM me and I will be more than happy to send one back.

Now we reach our first article on the WotR. This article features talks with the designers about the new releases as well as a little backstory to each one. These can be quite interesting to read but sadly readers will have to wait until next month for any rules for the SBG.

Just over half way through we have a tactica presented by Mat Ward about the pros and cons of giving steeds, monstrous mounts and monsters for your lords and heroes. He goes through options available and gives a pointed example of each one (including one on foot for those who hate mounts).

Next up continuing the onrunning warhammer theme Jervis Johnson prevents a standard bearer article on how to win. I personally rubbish this article since it contains no original tactics. Only the all too familiar misdirect with bait units, charging 2 of your units into one of his and so on.

Onto a painting masterclass article and this is a definite improvement. This month features on the high elf Prince Althran with a step by step guide on how Darren Latham painted him. A good part of this is showing the prince model after every part is completed as a sort of way of saying this is how he might look. At the end a modelled diorama features him fighting nasty warlord Spinetail painted by Joe Tomaszewski. Following this another advert focusing on the isle of blood released last month.

Interesting article next focuses on the studio challenge to paint a battalion as quick as possible as well as a single figure competition showing the spirit of warhammer. We get a couple of example armies with Mark Harrisons gribbly Vampire counts and Martin Footits well done ogre kingdoms army.

We next get a little 2 page spread of the upcoming Sabbat worlds crusade anthology with the books and campaigns background explained by Dan Abnett, known for his work on the Gaunts Ghosts series.

Onto the first 40K article we get a look at Duncan Rhodes Word Bearers army. We get to look at units of his army (nicely painted by the way) as well as his army list.

We next get a modelling workshop article that looks at corrupting imperial terrain so it looks more chaosy. Examples used here include the set from honoured imperium as well as an imperial bastion. Also included is a little info on how it was painted.

Sadly that is is for articles this week. It might not seem much but each goes on for a while. My thoughts are again that this is quite clearly fantasy based with focus on the high elves. It is also nice to see some quality articles and a brutal battle report so this gives it a little plus for me.

The Wat of the Ring article is short and I would have liked for an example army list featuring the new releases but maybe that is just me.

I found the 40K articles to be in very bad taste this month, even worst than last. It feels to me that these were thrown in as a last resort as if they forgot about 40K this month.

So my conclusion is thus. This issue is worth it to fantasy players and also worth a quick glance for those interested in LotR. The modelling and painting aspect is explored although not as much as last month. Finally for 40K players. Don't even bother to buy this since this offers little to interest you, even for chaos players. Hopefully next month will see some improvements.

So my final rating is such:

7/10

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Lol, I really dont know why I even read these, cause I buy the Dwarf, regardless of the contents...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think they need to bring back the oldschool terrin building articles. Instead of "Buy the Citadel Woods", there should be "Here is how to make a city out of a couple of boxes and stuff".
Interesting to note that GW have taken off the Terrain Making page and replaced it with articles which require you to have stuff like the Cities of Death.

Bring back the old times I say!!!

Good work Steven on another reveiw!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
ya i didn't do my reivew this month as it would just be me bitching aobut LOTR's treatment and that i don't know fantasy so i'll start agian next month (when we have DE)
I was not supprised aobut no picutres of DE as we have games day on sunday as i would wanty to keep that under wraps to revieall there. However LOTR got the shaft agian. they got 6 pages....dispite have new modals!!!! It really does sicken me they way GW treat it, even the tacked on 40k had mroe than they did and msot of it was "look at these choas converted guys" (1606pts? really. couldn't think of a worse rounded number at all?)
If you play/collect Fantasy then it would be a 6/10 for me.....however if you don't play fantasy then it's a waste of time and a 3/10.

·
Registered
189 Posts
"look at these choas converted guys" (1606pts? really. couldn't think of a worse rounded number at all?)
It goes well with the 1593 point example army list in the codex (with illegal chosen setup)

I was thinking about checking out the WD for the Word Bearers, but I'm guessing his list is about as awesome as the World Eaters 2500 posted on the website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts