Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
visit roleplay threads!
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gone back through the tutorials threads to see if this has been done already so sorry If this information is already on this site.

I was wondering what the best way is to get that water effect on the base of your models. like they are at the edge of a lake or a stream is flowing by their feet kind of thing. Some people for terrain and large bases even manage to put rocks and stuff underneath whatever it is that looks like water.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The way it describes it in the GW How to Make Wargames Terrain book is

1. Glue gravel and sand in patches, apply a coat pf textured paint and undercoat grey
2. Paint Dark Angels Green
Drybrush of Scaly Green
Drybrush of Catachan Green
Paint streaks of skull white to make the water look as if it is flowing
3. Finish of with either a coat of varnish or water effects

For darker area's just use darker colours. If you want the model standing by the sea the book suggests to use Ultramainres Blue and Shadow Grey

Hope that helped:victory:

Skar

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
The best way to do it is after you have painted the model and the base the way you want it. You will need to make some kind of form around the base of the model that will hold in the water effect or varnish. Usually painters tape and some wax paper work good or maybe some round tubing. Then you pour in the water effects of varnish and let it dry. Once it is dry you remove the form and do sanding on the edges as needed. You can also add drops of ink to the water effects to give the water a certain color that may help convey where they are.

·
Registered
601 Posts
there's a tutorial somewhere of somebody who built a tyranid and gave it a wattery base. I believe it was on the home-page a few weeks ago.

Clicky! it's this one.
Very useful tute. You could just skip the colouring part or use other colours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts