Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hey Wee. Great thorough article.

How much have you actually painted on it? It sparks my interest, but it doesnt make me wanan rush to go pick some up.

Can i see a picture of a painted-with-gesso model vs a painted-with-primer model?
For color comparison, etc.?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I will definatley have to try some out, you have me convinced to try it at least :)

How much do the bottles of black tend to be?

Also, good to see Dark Age mini's in there :) I got hooked on that system last year and loved it so much I'm one of thier demo Outcasts now. Great system for those with a budget :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
excellent, thanks for the heads up. I pretty much brush prime everything now (even large armies), and so that stuff is going to be right up my alley. It'll be nice to have something that you don't need to care how heavy you're putting it on for the most part.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
What i mean Hyun, if i may call you that, is if could I see a gesso-primed and then painted mini versus a spray-primed then painted mini next to each other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Anphicar,

Oh, I see--sorry about that.

In this image below, the LotR High Elf Warrior and the Ultramarine on the right were primed with gesso first, then painted. The Imperial Fists marine in the middle was spray-primed white, then painted.

Here are a few more that were primed with gesso:

... and finally, here's a squad of some Imperial Fists I've been working on (they are in progress), that were spray-can primed:

I'm a dreadfully slow painter, so don't have that many suitable miniatures show...

And yes, Hyun is fine, it's my name after all... :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
The skull pass dwarves are incredible for one reason with gesso. When I painted mine, I use modelmaster acrylic flat black which is decently thin. But in that shallow chainmail of the skull pass dwarves, it still filled up some of the mesh and it was a pain. But the gesso, shrunk right into it. Did you thin that or is it straight? Thats amazing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did thin the black gesso for the Skull Pass dwarves slightly. I've been using gesso for a number of years, but it wasn't until fairly recently that I grew confident about using it without thinning first.

For me, the two key advantages of gesso are 1) non-toxic, water-washup, and 2) I can prime and work on figures late at night, which is my time of preference for hobby stuff. :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm liking this gesso.

Sorry if i overlooked it any mention of the such, but did where did you obtain this magic gesso?

-Thanks for the pics, Hyun! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should add, I've only used one brand of gesso: Liquitex. I've used their white, black, and clear gesso, all with good results. I imagine it's possible that gesso from different brands have differing characteristics, just as paints from different manufacturers do. Just FYI.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Got some black gesso tonight. Primed one with my regular Modelmasters stuff that I usually prime with and one with gesso, seeing the difference.

Gesso currently drying....

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hyun, may I ask, how is the texture eye-to-model.

In the pics it seems really smooth, but with some small crapples. How good is it totally dried/peeled actually?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't really tell just by looking at a gesso-primed figure, even up close, but as soon as you run your finger over it, you'll be able to tell the difference. It's more coarse than spray-can primed figures, and that's what (I suspect) gives it such a good "tooth" for paint to adhere to.

@Elchimpster--I don't know what GW's Smelly Primer's made of, but I'm fairly certain it's not gesso-based. It seems to dry pretty smooth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts