Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this maybe in the wrong section but i wanna hear your opinions on it.

Righty then to point WTF is the problem with the excess of plastic on the sprues. for instane i'm currently sat next to a wood elf battalion box with 6 glade guard sprues 2 dryad sprues and 2 glade rider sprues. if you clump all of this together you might think (unless you work for GW and thank god for gettin rid of the excess "usless plastic".

if i could sell the empty sprues back to GW i'd probably get all my money back which sounds like an over statment but its not.

also ive got a little wooden box full to the brim with usless shit tht i will probably never use apart from the base decorations.

any one else thought of the exess plastic GW use and could probably leave it out and reduce the price of things by about a pound :mad::angry:

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
They could, but getting the most out of the necessary sprues is a good thing, I imagine. Personally, I really like the extra bitz. I rarely use them on the same army, but I tend to scratchbuild models and do lots of conversions, to any little extra details, especially those that tie my own models into the 40K/WHFB universes, are welcome.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do agree with some of the spare bits but i mean some of them are pointless standard bearer things for example i'm only gonna use one per unit and i get sme the next box i buy. and also the ammount of spare heads i get with the wood elves is a joke.

then again i do enjoy spare parts for 40k cause i like to give kroot power armour cause it looks mint!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I'm sure there's a use for all of the spare bitz, and even the sprue itself. The heads make excellent trophies... not all casualites in war are militants. And the rubble made from sprue waste is excellent for detailing bases and terrain alike.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I think the extra bits of plastic are probably required anyways for the sprues to stable enough to go through the manufacturing process and packaging. Seems like most pieces are connected to the sprue by at least two bits of plastic so without them they might snap off during packaging or something. So which everway it goes the plastic has to be there, so might as well get an extra head or banner or weapon out of it instead of just a regular stick of plastic.

But the idea of selling my plastic back to GW for money sounds like a totally awesome idea. If that was the case I would never use a sprue as rubble for my bases every again. haha

·
Registered
275 Posts
at some events they have buckets were u can put all of these in. but they dont pay you. but yes i have to agree but i guess they have worked it out that is must be cheaper to put them on sprues than cutting them off or whatever else

martin

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
what is a Waste Of Plastic is lord of the rings get rid of it please!!!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Being a big scratch builder and converter I find a use for just about everything even the sprues. So for me the more stuff they give me the better. Bash up the sprue and its great for rubble basing material.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
All the excess crap packaging you get with everything really pisses me off, not just gw, who are actually pretty good about it. Do my bamboo flavoured donuts really require a plastic tray, a plastic bag, a cardboard box AND shrinkwrap?

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Maybe all that is required to keep all that great bamboo flavour fresh tasting...:biggrin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love all that extra stuff!

All of it can be used. Especially the standard bearer poles!

I'll put some pictures up of my spear/halberd/staff/polearm wielding berzerkers sometime. They look fantasic!

Give someone a Standard Bearer arm and very very carefully glue the Blade (or two Blades, or more) of a weapon, axe, sword, hammer, mace, scythe etc etc. Its looks awesome!
And the extra Standards themselves can be used to decorate Vehicles and Lords. Spare Weapons/heads/torsos/legs can be used on bases. Again, my personal example - Kharn stood atop a mound of skulls and heads from various armies. Model bases...if you collect Chaos, tyranids, dark eldar or orcs...can be littered with body parts just to prove bloodthirstyness.

And as a number of people above have said, the plastic holding frame can be used for debris.

Did I miss anything?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts