Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who's having a little trouble with the wash brush and washing large amounts of miniatures? I tried to wash a part of my Imperial Defence Line with Agrax Earthshade, but it ended up looking slightly grungly and more wet, not really anything like the grunge that I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Washing large flat surfaces is a pain in the arse. Personally, I mix the washes with water and a bit of soap when I do a large flat surface like a vehicle or wall.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Washes are not that good for large flat areas due to the cohesive nature of the water based liquid. It adheres more to itself than to the flat surface (causing it too pool). It it generally better to apply washes to only the creases in models with large flat areas.

I cannot say I have tried @Loki1416 technique of using a little washing up liquid but I can see that it would work if you want to wash the whole area.

·
Registered
158 Posts
liquid soap it helps break the surface tension. not sure the mix you can look it up on this site or I can find it and post it when I get back home.

Washing large surface probly not a good idea tho. It most likely pool at the bottom and have streaks no matter how hard you try altho I am sure some really good painters can pull it off.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
@Stormxlr
Liquid dish soap. It only takes 1-2 drops per bottle of wash. You don't want too much soap.
By thinning it with the soap and water, you'll have to do more coats than you normally would, but it gives you greater control over the streaks (so you don't have streaks). Still not the easiest thing in the world. But it helps.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I tried to wash a part of my Imperial Defence Line with Agrax Earthshade, but it ended up looking slightly grungly and more wet, not really anything like the grunge that I was hoping for.
I water down the washes and do layers of them. Probably the most tedious thing I've ever had to wait on with painting is washes drying in between coats. On an ADL, I would wash everything once for the overall feel of it and then do another 3-5 layers wherever I want it to be muddier. It takes a while. The 'wet' look should subside a bit once it's dried, but you will have a bit of a shine once it's all said and done. I use enough Nuln Oil to turn red black on my BA, maybe it just looks different when you use the number of coats I'm talking about.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Okay I see, im too broke to try to mix my wash with soap (incase I screw something up can't get a new one) but what I do when I want to have an even spread is just mix just a drop of wash with water on a pallet and use a wide brush to apply it works perfectly but takes long time to do multiple coats

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here I thought the colour I got just went bad... lol Was tryin it out today on a base, still got tons to learn so no ur definitely not the only one having troubles lol

- T.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
try pin washing...its a little more time consuming but you can put the wash right where you want it..you dont use as much wash either

·
Registered
113 Posts
Am I the only one who's having a little trouble with the wash brush and washing large amounts of miniatures? I tried to wash a part of my Imperial Defence Line with Agrax Earthshade, but it ended up looking slightly grungly and more wet, not really anything like the grunge that I was hoping for.
I have experienced the same problem with Drakenhof Nightshade over Kantor Blue on Space Marines. Using the wash technique as GW recommends results in big pools of wash and, once dry, shining patches where it pools.
I agree with the previous comments: shake well before use, water down the wash and do multiple layers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts